Electronic Component Dealer Comparison

Onideus Mad Hatter

A review of six different electronic component dealers by yours truly:
: http://onideus.blogspot.com/2010/01/electronic-component-dealer-comparison.html

Bottom line...order from Digi-Key, they're the cheapest...by leaps and
****ing bounds. The absolute worst is MCM Electronics...they're
pretty much gonna turn ya over and rape you up the ass with a
2x4...repeatedly.

--

Onideus Mad Hatter
mhm ¹ x ¹

Hatter Quotes
-------------
"Never do to anyone online what you wouldn't want done to yourself."

"Freedom, true freedom, is nothing more than intellectual advantage over others."

"When I listen to people I don't really listen to what it is they're
saying, so much as what they're saying it for."

"Don't ever **** with someone who has more creativity than you do."

"Never use your own limitations as the basis of measuring a technology's worth."

"I don't make mistakes, I have other people to make mistakes for me."

"You're only one of the best if you're striving to become one of the
best."

"I didn't make reality, Sunshine, I just verbally bitch slapped you
with it."

"I'm not a professional, I'm an artist."

"Usenet Filters/Blinders - Learn to shut yourself the **** up!"

"Drugs killed Jesus you know...oh wait, no, that was the Jews, my
bad."

"The more I learn the more I'm killing my idols."

"Is it wrong to incur and then use the hate ridden, vengeful stupidity
of complete strangers in random Usenet froups to further my art?"

"Freedom is only a concept, like race it's merely a social construct
that doesn't really exist outside of your ability to convince others
of its relevancy."

"Next time slow up a lil, then maybe you won't jump the gun and start
creamin yer panties before it's time to pop the champagne proper."

"Reality is directly proportionate to how creative you are."

"People are pretty ****ing high on themselves if they think that
they're just born with a soul. *snicker*...yeah, like they're just
givin em out for free."

"How sad that you're such a poor judge of style that you can't even
properly gauge the artistic worth of your own efforts."

"Those who record history are those who control history."

"I am the living embodiment of hell itself in all its tormentive rage,
endless suffering, unfathomable pain and unending horror...but you
don't get sent to me...I come for you."

"Ideally in a fight I'd want a BGM-109A with a W80 250 kiloton
tactical thermonuclear fusion based war head."

"Tell me, would you describe yourself more as a process or a
function?"

"Apparently this group has got the market cornered on stupid.
Intelligence is down 137 points across the board and the forecast
indicates an increase in Webtv users."

"Is my .sig delimiter broken? Really? You're sure? Awww,
gee...that's too bad...for YOU!" `, )

Fred Hall

Bottom line

Mattie is tumbling down the back side of the proverbial hill

--

http://i689.photobucket.com/albums/vv251/doctorevans/08-23-09_1934.jpg

http://bayimg.com/NAJNIaAcB

"I can't speak for the rest of Usenet but the reason this newsgroup is a
mess, is because you and your spouse, along with your co-defendants were
too stupid to shut your gobs when you knew you were outmatched. And what
you left behind is litter like Fred Hall, the "magic FNVW" Kebbie
Carnon, who else? The gash, Roz the Rat, spooge teh Family "law" Guy -
who would rather trash what's left of AUK than stick to the charter."

"The "pros" use viewers that dig right down to the serial number,
where it was purchased and if a credit card was used or a warranty card
filled out, who purchased it." MID:<[email protected]>

"The charter cited at ftp://ftp.isc.org/pub/usenet/control/alt reads:
As per discussion on alt.config alt.usenet.kooks
has been created. Usenet has more of its share of
conspiracy theorists and kooks and this group has
been created for the discussion of these people.
Examples of their work will be posted here and it will
be a meeting place for kook-hunters to gather and
swap stories and keep one another up to date as to
where the new budding kooks can be found. It is
hoped that through the careful use of the Followup
line, kooks can be lured into crossposting to alt.usenet.kooks.

" You geriatric moron skidmark blight on humanity's sphincter." tommigrlll in Message-ID: <[email protected]>

"Yes - "Sow" is your permanent name. And what's your point?
Sell those cars or I will own them." More of tommigrllls impotent threats in Message-ID: <[email protected]>

Onideus Mad Hatter

A review of six different electronic component dealers by yours truly:
: http://onideus.blogspot.com/2010/01/electronic-component-dealer-comparison.html

Update! (as seen on the blog link)

: I just got an e-mail from Futurlec and they have confirmed that my
: order *HAS* actually been shipped, so it seems they're right in line
: with Digi-Key on the order processing. Digi-Key is slightly cheaper,
: although Futurlec has a more reasonable selection of parts and a
: better interface, so I would go with either of them.

*nods*

[...]

Onideus Mad Hatter

A review of six different electronic component dealers by yours truly:
: http://onideus.blogspot.com/2010/01/electronic-component-dealer-comparison.html

Bottom line...order from Digi-Key, they're the cheapest...by leaps and
****ing bounds. The absolute worst is MCM Electronics...they're
pretty much gonna turn ya over and rape you up the ass with a
2x4...repeatedly.

Holy keerist that was fast! I got my order from Digi-Key yesterday!
So, on the whole, it took only about four days to get it from the
point of ordering (Monday evening to Friday morning). That's pretty
speedy for uber cheapo USPS service.

I still haven't gotten my order yet from Futurlec, but maybe by
tomorrow or next Monday. They may not be as speedy or as cheap as
Digi-Key, but I do like their website and ordering interface a bit
better, and they're a *LOT* cheaper compared to all the other guys out
there.

Onideus said:
A review of six different electronic component dealers by yours truly:
: http://onideus.blogspot.com/2010/01/electronic-component-dealer-comparison.html

Bottom line...order from Digi-Key, they're the cheapest...by leaps and
****ing bounds. The absolute worst is MCM Electronics...they're
pretty much gonna turn ya over and rape you up the ass with a
2x4...repeatedly.

Nonsense. They're all good firms, but cost depends on what is ordered
and how much is ordered. MCM is not particularly cheap for
capacitors, but they're more like Dalbani and Premium Parts, oriented
more toward electronics repair techs, unlike the other suppliers, and
carry many parts your other sources do not, such as ICs found in
consumer electronics, test equipment, PA systems, speakers, alarm
systems, and appliance parts. They've even offered Monster cables for
under $1.

I don't understand why you had to blog on this topic instead of simply
provide a concise 6-line summary of your results.

Onideus Mad Hatter

Nonsense. They're all good firms, but cost depends on what is ordered
and how much is ordered. MCM is not particularly cheap for
capacitors, but they're more like Dalbani and Premium Parts, oriented
more toward electronics repair techs, unlike the other suppliers, and
carry many parts your other sources do not, such as ICs found in
consumer electronics, test equipment, PA systems, speakers, alarm
systems, and appliance parts. They've even offered Monster cables for
under $1.

I don't understand why you had to blog on this topic instead of simply
provide a concise 6-line summary of your results.

LOL, who wants to take bets on whether this guy works or has worked
for MCM Electronics before? *snicker* I guess he figures since he's
not replying to the blog post he doesn't feel the need to "disclose"
like he ought to...tsch, tsch, tsch...can't really say that's too
intelligent.

And trying to say that MCM carries higher quality components than
Digi-Key is just outright retarded any way you want to look at it.
Digi-Key carries like...****ING EVERYTHING...I mean, literarily, even
trying to search for such an exacting match like "220uf 25v" brings up
hundreds and hundreds of matching products. If anything, they carry
*TOO* many products, to the point that it's almost confusing unless
you just really know exactly what you're looking for.

And you must be completely ****ing clueless if you think DALBANI is a
parts manufacturer you stupid dumbfuck. I mean it says right the ****
on their website: "national and international distributor" ...what the
**** part of DISTRIBUTOR are you just not grasping? They don't *MAKE*
anything at Dalbani, they have *NO* factories, they have a
DISTRIBUTION CENTER, where they RESELL products they buy from hundreds
of sources, most of which are probably pretty variable...most of which
they probably bought through Digi-Key. LOL

And regarding "monster cables", yeah, again you must be a clueless
dumbfuck. Do a search for "monster cable hype", see if you can't
educate yourself. That's just yet another example of a company making
standard parts with a fancy name to try and make it seem like they've
got something special and ~uber~ high quality, when really they don't
have anything that everyone else isn't already selling...and in some
cases even better.

I do think it's hilarious that you mention "electronic repair
techs"...I mean, let's think about this...if you're a professional
electronics repair technician and you wanted to make the *MOST* money
out of yer customers as possible...well what would you do?
Yeah...order from Digi-Key, but tell the client their parts came from
MCM and they're "special" "high quality" ~Dalbani~ parts...that way
you can charge them the same price as MCM while only paying Digi-Key's
prices...it's brilliant! LOL

The ~only~ reason you would ever even want to ~consider~ using MCM
over Digi-Key is if you were looking for something other than just
straight electronics repair components, which is basically the only
thing Digi-Key sells, they don't bother carrying shit like computer
mouse pads and crap like MCM does.

MCM is little more than an over glorified Circuit City or a Radio
Shack that carries a very limited selection of electronics components
and specializes more in consumer end electronics toys, they're really
not geared towards professional electronics repair technicians, so
much as yer average tweenage level hobbyist. I mean when I ran my
search on MCM I got all of *TWO* results, which is only just slightly
better than what I found on Radio Shack. And interestingly enough,
what Radio Shack did sell...yeah the prices were about the same as
with MCM.

So if your just looking for *TOYS* and consumer end horse shit...yeah,
MCM might be a good place to check out, they probably have slightly
better prices than Radio Shack or other consumer end outfits, but if
you're looking for just straight electronics components and parts,
without any consumer end bullshit...yeah, Digi-Key is king.

Honestly, MCM and Digi-Key aren't even directly comparable, they're
two entirely different business models, one geared towards consumer
end products, the other geared towards professional repair
technicians. Your average consumer who wants to try their hand at
fixing a popped cap whose never done it before...yeah, Digi-Key
probably isn't the place to go, mostly because their selection is too
vast and you're likely just going to get lost.

[...]

Onideus Mad Hatter

I bought a pair of STK392-110 convergence processors for a Panasonic
PT51DX80 rear projector TV and paid the lowest price of all the places
I checked at MCM. Helps to have a business account and get discounts.

I'd say that's more of a specialty type repair product, specifically
for television repair, rather than a general repair part found in
pretty much any electronics form. Again, MCM and Digi-Key aren't
really directly comparable as far as what they sell. Digi-key in fact
only carries one convergence processor, and it's not in their normal
stock, it's something they carry only upon request.

You must not have looked very hard though, MCM sells that convergence
processor for $14.51, not including their outrageously over priced
shipping charges.

I found another outfit though, Electronix, who sells the same thing
for only $5.99...
: http://www.electronix.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/6_308/products_id/9359

That's quite the price difference...and again, I'm not even looking at
the over priced shipping charges, that would only increase the
difference in price.

Onideus said:
LOL, who wants to take bets on whether this guy works or has worked
for MCM Electronics before?

I've never worked for MCM.
*snicker* I guess he figures since he's
not replying to the blog post he doesn't feel the need to "disclose"
like he ought to...tsch, tsch, tsch...can't really say that's too
intelligent.

I looked at your blog, which is why I said you should have simply
summarized the results in a few lines here.
And trying to say that MCM carries higher quality components than
Digi-Key is just outright retarded any way you want to look at it.

I said all the companies you listed were good, and I said nothing of
MCM carrying better quality than Digi-Key.
Digi-Key carries like...****ING EVERYTHING...I mean, literarily, even
trying to search for such an exacting match like "220uf 25v" brings up
hundreds and hundreds of matching products. If anything, they carry
*TOO* many products, to the point that it's almost confusing unless
you just really know exactly what you're looking for.

Digi-Key carries few tools or consumer electronics parts, no repair
kits, and no projection TV CRT cooling fluid. Digi-Key is more like
Newark or Arrow and are oriented toward manufacturers, especially for
cables and passives.
And you must be completely ****ing clueless if you think DALBANI is a
parts manufacturer you stupid dumbfuck. I mean it says right the ****
on their website: "national and international distributor" ...what the
**** part of DISTRIBUTOR are you just not grasping?

I never said Dalbani was a manufacturer. Please show where you think
I did.
And regarding "monster cables", yeah, again you must be a clueless
dumbfuck. Do a search for "monster cable hype", see if you can't
educate yourself. That's just yet another example of a company making
standard parts with a fancy name

I see no special value in Monster products and mentioned their cables
only because they're normally high priced items but were available
cheaply from MCM, a company you said was a high priced.
MCM is little more than an over glorified Circuit City or a Radio
Shack that carries a very limited selection of electronics components
and specializes more in consumer end electronics toys, they're really
not geared towards professional electronics repair technicians,

MCM has never been like Circuit City and can't be compared to the
current Radio Shack but only the 1970s and earlier version, when it
was a full-service components dealer similar to Lafayette. Today,
MCM's stock of parts is much larger, as you can see from their 1000-
page catalog, and most of their customers are wholesale, not retail.

Onideus Mad Hatter

Even though they have the same shape and part number they can be made
by different vendors or even counterfeit.

Actually it would likely be made by the same vendor, simply a
different class...ie factory seconds...running the machines faster,
using slightly cheaper materials, etc, etc...although it's pretty
obvious if that is the case and a simple search of the company on
Google will tell you if it's likely true or not.

It's sort of like, you don't buy DVDs at Wal-Mart. It doesn't matter
that it's the "exact same" DVD that's being sold in other stores, by
the exact same distributor. What Wal-Mart does, like any company, is
they go to the vendor and they say, "We want to sell your product, but
uh...we only want to pay ~this~ much for it." So then the vendor has
to go back to their factories and come up with a way of being able to
produce the order at that cheap of a price...which often involves
running their machines faster than normal, increasing the possibility
of ****ups, and often involves skimping on materials or using cheaper
grade materials, most often when it comes to the inking and product
packaging.

This is why if you buy Suddenly Salad at Wal-Mart the seasoning
packets inside are blank white pouches, where as if you buy the
product elsewhere, it'll have fancy, color printed designs on the
seasoning packets.

Doesn't always mean what you're buying there is no good, but with some
things you should shy away from...like DVDs...unless you plan to
transfer it to your computer and can reburn a copy...or don't mind
having to take it back if your copy has got one or two minor little
video glitches...or if you simply don't mind if it has a couple little
minor video glitches.

The flat screen monitor I just bought new caps for, it was from
Wal-Mart, an Acer, but I'd be willing to bet that if you bought the
exact same model from another store and you opened them both
up...probably the one I got at Wal-Mart has got cheaper caps in it, as
well as other components, which is the reason why Wal-Mart can sell it
for cheaper.

But again, that's why you research what you're buying and who you're
buying it from. But you shouldn't ASSume that you're getting
something better simply because you're paying more and likewise you
shouldn't ASSume that you're not getting something good just because
you're paying less.
Since these are the hardest
working devices in the set and the manufacturer specifies the OEM
replacement from Sanyo and the whole TV chassis is a pain in the
****ing ass to remove to get to the convergence board it makes sense
to buy from a trusted source that I have dealt with for the past 20+
years even if the cost is more. Plus this was about 4 years ago and
the devices were just starting to fail so cost was a little more and
the devices a little more scarce than today.

The set works perfectly still. I bought it in 1999. The reason for
failure was the screws holding the chips to the heat sink were either
not tight from the factory or had worked themselves loose during
heat/cool cycles. The new devices were properly torqued and I added
some Loctite to the thread screws to keep them that way.

http://datasheet.octopart.com/STK392-110-Sanyo-datasheet-109828.pdf

It could have even been the screws themselves, depending on the
materials they were made out of. It may have been in that particular
run the retail store you bought it from didn't want to pay much, so
then the manufacturer looked for ways to meet their wanted price,
which could have included using cheaper grade screws, or over-running
the machines, so that they were running so fast the screws weren't
getting put in all the way.

It's hard to really say that a particular brand or model is really
"bad" or not, because you may have simply gotten a bad batch, or maybe
the manufacturer had to switch to a new source for their caps.

When I was working at Sykes we had that problem with the E-Machines.
There was some major third world flooding catastrophe from the usual
place where they bought their caps from, so they were forced to
temporarily go with another company, and it turned out that, that
company was using sub-standard materials which caused the caps to
vibrate just a tiny bit, which then in turn produced an incredibly
high pitched squealing sound a couple weeks after the machine was
running...nearly every single one wound up needing replaced...cost the
company quite a lot of money too.

[...]

Gregory Hall

I don't often disagree with the brilliant HJ but in this case he is
obviously mistaken. In Wolfus's case there is nothing to poison.

Onideus Mad Hatter

All I can do is to abide by the recommendation of Matsushita and the
recommendations of others who actually work on these for a living.
Seeing this was my set I would rather repair it myself having years
of experience repairing GE and Motorola land mobile and public service
radio and profession audio gear. Since I did factory warranty on all
the above plus a dozen others I got used to letting the factory do the
research and issue the technical service bulletins and parts
advisories. This freed my thought processes up to allow me to focus
more upon the service end and the occasional submission of my own
service bulletins which some of the factories published.

I've become a bit disillusioned in recent years as far as
"recommendations" from others. I like the FCC's idea about disclosure
information, although they really don't have much way to really
enforce it and it's hard to really know what's going on underneath the
table so to speak. I mean even for myself, I posted one little
paragraph blurb about Carl's Junior and got twenty five bucks out of
it...it's nice incentive to continue to say good things about their
company, regardless of the fact that they have a good product. And
apparently there's more and more of that going on these days,
especially with the advent of blogging. It's really hard to trust
anything you read these days, even in major print publications.

[...]

Onideus Mad Hatter

Who the **** cares....LOSER !!

Wooo! That's quite the sass there, Captain Sassy Pants! I think you
better just calm yourself down...unless you want to be put down for a
nap!