EditPad Lite 5.0.0

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Mal=F9?=

Released 24 July 2003
http://www.editpadlite.com/editpadlite.html

Some enhancements in this new version:
<q>
* Under Windows XP, EditPad will now use the XP style interface.
* When dragging and dropping text, a ghost caret is now shown at the
drop point while dragging. This makes it a lot easier to drop the text
at the exact position you want.
* Preferences: Block Indent and Tab Size are now configurable per file type
on the File Types page, rather than for all files on the Editors page.
* Several internal optimizations were made. EditPad will now feel a lot
snappier on slower computers or computers with slow graphics cards. In
particular, the routines responsible for painting the screen and for
wrapping long lines have been significantly optimized.
* Files with mixed Windows/UNIX/Mac line breaks styles in the same file
are now properly handled.
* The print preview now has buttons to jump to the first and the last page.
</q>

badgolferman

Malù said:
[...]

Thank you, EditPad Lite is my favorite editor.

john p.

[...]

Used to be available as a zipped package at less than 600KB. Now there
seems to be only an exe installer at almost 1MB. Getting a bit fat for
a small and quick editor.

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Mal=F9?=

Hello, Malù!
Not the same topic but I just had to ask what program you use to get the
nifty picture in your message?

With best regards,
Dan.

Hi Dan,
I use 40tude Dialog as newsreader and it allows you to put an X-face in the
headers of the message. But how can you see it if you're using OE?
And, being English a foreign language for me, I'm wondering if nifty meant
graceful or stinking...
Ciao

Dan

Hi Malù

Thanks for the info. 'Nifty' means cool or neat or very good.
I must look for that program you mention. I like it.
I do use OE 6 and can see the X-face. Is that not supposed to happen?

Regards

Dan

Blinky the Shark

Hi Dan,
I use 40tude Dialog as newsreader and it allows you to put an X-face in the
headers of the message. But how can you see it if you're using OE?

FYI, any program that will let you insert custom headers will allow
you to include your own X-Face. Xnews is one of those, and a very good
email client.

http://xnews.newsguy.com

As for what an X-Face header *is*, it is an 48x48 pixel one-bit (b/w,
essentially) image, that is encoded into your X-Face header.

There's an online X-Face converter here, into which you plug your image
file, and out comes the ASCII string that is inserted in your X-Face
header.

http://www.dairiki.org/xface/xface.php
And, being English a foreign language for me, I'm wondering if nifty meant
graceful or stinking...

It is a positive thing, not a negative thing. It means "cool" in the
not-about-temperature sense.

Dan

Hello »Q«
You are right. I had forgotten that I use FidoLook. That would account for
it.

Cheers

Dan
??>> I do use OE 6 and can see the X-face. Is that not supposed to happen?

Q> Afaik, it doesn't happen without some add-on, like FidoLook. Have you
Q> installed anything like that?

With best regards, Dan. E-mail: (e-mail address removed)

Mike Ring

FYI, any program that will let you insert custom headers will allow
you to include your own X-Face. Xnews is one of those, and a very
good email client.

http://xnews.newsguy.com
I don't think Xnews does email, although it's the world's best newsreader
(ok, I like it quite a lot)

I wish it did, I can't find a good emailer - I don't want many functions,
but I'd like them to be right.

Phoenix gets close

Mike R

Blinky the Shark

BURP! Make that news client.
I don't think Xnews does email, although it's the world's best newsreader
(ok, I like it quite a lot)

It can by using Hamster, but my calling it an email client was a mondo
typo. I won't cop it being a typo, because I used Xnews for years. :)

Dennis Roark

I don't think Xnews does email, although it's the world's best
newsreader (ok, I like it quite a lot)

I wish it did, I can't find a good emailer - I don't want many
functions, but I'd like them to be right.

Phoenix gets close

Mike R

OT, but for an emailer check out either the latest Mozilla suite with its
emailer, or if you don't want the bulk of the whole suite, the email
program is being split out as Thunderbird. It has Bayesian spam filtering
built in which for me is a must have (at least until some anti-spam laws
are enacted.)

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

It is a newsreader as well, but I prefer XNews. The combo of XNews and
Thunderbird or Mozilla is rather nice. (And Mozilla Firebird for the
browser of course.)

--
Dennis Roark

(e-mail address removed)
Starting Points:
www.home.earthlink.net/~denro

?

=?iso-8859-1?Q?Mal=F9?=

On 26 Jul 2003 20:12:56 GMT, Blinky the Shark wrote:

[...]
FYI, any program that will let you insert custom headers will allow
you to include your own X-Face. Xnews is one of those, and a very good
email client.

http://xnews.newsguy.com

As for what an X-Face header *is*, it is an 48x48 pixel one-bit (b/w,
essentially) image, that is encoded into your X-Face header.

There's an online X-Face converter here, into which you plug your image
file, and out comes the ASCII string that is inserted in your X-Face
header.

http://www.dairiki.org/xface/xface.php

Yes, Blinky, I already knew of this link having read one of your posts in
news.software.readers and I posted a message to you
( <[email protected]> )
to say that Dialog has a built in X-face converter, a cool bonus indeed as
you said for XanaNews.
It is a positive thing, not a negative thing. It means "cool" in the
not-about-temperature sense.

I'm reassured ;-)

Mike Ring

OT, but for an emailer check out either the latest Mozilla suite with
its emailer, or if you don't want the bulk of the whole suite, the
email program is being split out as Thunderbird. It has Bayesian spam
filtering built in which for me is a must have (at least until some
anti-spam laws are enacted.)

http://www.mozilla.org/projects/thunderbird/

Hello DennisI've downloaded this, it must be one of the very few I've not tried, and at
first sight it looks fine; I hope it remembers the pane sizes, that's my
main gripe with roundabout.

I've always found mailwasher to fill my spam needs, the other methods seem
more trouble than they're worth, and if in the end you have to do a Mark 1
eyeball check, why not do it at once?

And why a 9 meg (zipped) download when the exe file is 80k? I guess I'll
never understand this open source stuff.

Still, thank you for the steer, I'll see how I get on

mike r

However, the

Alexei and Cory Panshin

maluc52 said:
[...]

I just downloaded it and installed it over the previous version -- and
found that my files no longer showed clickable hyperlinks. So I've gone
back to version 4.5.3. Has anyone else run into this? Is there an
option in the latest version to restore the clickable links?

Cory Panshin

DC

Melinda said:
I have looked at Metapad. What's the advantage of using it over Windows
Notepad?

All of it's features are advantages. Of particular note, it does away with
the file size limitation of M$ notepad.

metapad's enhanced feature set includes:

* Persistent window placement
* Dirty file notification
* Intelligent Find and Replace
* External viewer support (e.g. web browser)
* Usable accelerator keys (Ctrl+S, Ctrl+N, etc.)
* Dual customizable font support
* Optional Quick Exit (Esc key)
* Configurable tab stop setting
* Auto-indent mode
* Go to Line/Column
* Seamless UNIX text file support
* Block indent and unindent (Tab, Shift+Tab)
* Recent files list
* WYSIWYG printing
* Snazzy status bar & funky toolbar
* No file size limit! (under Win9x)
* Hyperlink support
* User interface language plugins

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=BBQ=AB?=

OK, let's abandon subtlety, since it hasn't worked. What is dirty
file notification?

A file is "dirty" if it has been modified since it was last saved.
Dirty file notification is the "This file has been modified. Do you
want to save it now?" message that you get if you change a file and
then try to close the app without saving first. I don't know the
origin of this usage of the word "dirty," and it's not in the jargon
file. Anybody?

Blinky the Shark

DC said:
Melinda Meahan - take out TRASH to reply wrote:
All of it's features are advantages. Of particular note, it does away with
the file size limitation of M$ notepad.
metapad's enhanced feature set includes:
* Persistent window placement
* Dirty file notification
* Intelligent Find and Replace
* External viewer support (e.g. web browser)
* Usable accelerator keys (Ctrl+S, Ctrl+N, etc.)
* Dual customizable font support
* Optional Quick Exit (Esc key)
* Configurable tab stop setting
* Auto-indent mode
* Go to Line/Column
* Seamless UNIX text file support
* Block indent and unindent (Tab, Shift+Tab)
* Recent files list
* WYSIWYG printing
* Snazzy status bar & funky toolbar
* No file size limit! (under Win9x)
* Hyperlink support
* User interface language plugins

Oh, well, if *that's* the only difference...... :)