Ebay Scams - an example

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Being a member of some audio clubs I do keep an eye on various things and one message which had my full attention was the scam on Ebay about LS3/5a. I am quoting the message dated today here which is self explanatory only for the better understanding of the members here and not for any other reason. This is to keep you informed with example of how folks are duped at Ebay if they are not careful.

A goodmans LS3/5a auction just ended (5773187602). I was a little
concerned about it because the UK seller had (0) feedback. However, he
did have photos of the item that I'd not seen before. We'll have to
see if the feedback is OK.

However, a new auction just appeared today (5775039025) that is very
likely a scam. Same description and photos lifted from the first
auction (will they ever learn?) and a brand new seller. The only thing
missing here is the serial number photo and the request for Western
Union or other non-stoppable payment. I'm sad to say the seller says
he's from California.

Since the first auction reached a high price level, this one may garner
similar interest for the uninitiated or unwary. CAVEAT EMPTOR!!

Please be careful when you shop on Ebay.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I sell on ebay quite a bit now, and I get people trying to scam me every single time! Wanting to ship to Nigeria/Indonesia and payment by Western Union - I know a few people who have done this and have had their credit card charged back for "fraudulent activity".

Scams are usually easy enought to spot once you've had a few, but just be careful :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Scams are usually easy enought to spot once you've had a few, but just be careful :)

I agree, provided the person is vigilant but unfortunately we keep seeing and hearing about scams which means some of the people ARE careless.

I just hope that in our community nobody is duped. :)

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
I sell on ebay quite a bit now, and I get people trying to scam me every single time! Wanting to ship to Nigeria/Indonesia and payment by Western Union - I know a few people who have done this and have had their credit card charged back for "fraudulent activity".

yer i really hate ppl like that
so my policy is no selling internationaly
i clearly state that i will not send out my items outside of uk

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:

I have stopped dealing on web sites because of what you say, it is bad to think that these SCUM BAGS keep on doing it.Nigerians are the main Culprits, My mate works out there you would not believe what they get up to.

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
I never purchase high value items off ebay unless I can see that the seller has a good reputation for selling similar items of similar values (ie good, high feedback). And as for selling, I also will not normally ship internationally, although I do send the odd CD around Europe).
Always be vigilant when purchasing online, and if you are ever a tiny bit unsure, remember you can always e-mail the seller(s) and ask questions, and if you're still in any doubt, just don't bid. It's not worth the risk sometimes, especially when only saving a few pounds on the price you could buy from a reputable retailer for.