Dynamically load assembly from COM

M

M. Fitzgerald

Our migration from ASP to ASP.NET will be a slow one. In themeantime, I have constructed a .NET assembly and registered itas a COM object for use in out classic ASP pages. One of thethings this particular assembly does is use Reflection todynamically load another assembly (based of course onuser-provided parameters).

The original error is in that it could not locate the assembly tobe loaded. I've tried placing the dynamically loaded assembliesin the same directory as the COM registered assembly, thedirectory of the calling page, the directory of the web root,all with no success. After placing it in Windows\System32, itwas able to locate it. Do I have to put it there?

After locating the assembly though, I receive aReflectionTypeLoadException saying "One or more of the types inthe assembly unable to load". Any ideas what's causing this? Ihave tried registering the dynamically loaded assembly as a COMobject as well, but in either case the same error is received. Help?

G

Never mind. I resolved the issue as is. It was a pathing issue -- once I included a full path to the loacation of the dynamically loaded assembly everything worked

Although I still am unclear where the assembly would need to reside to allow the COM object to find it if I hadn't included the full path. Anyone?

Ask a Question