Dynamic Excel data into locked Word form

Reaction score
Hello,

This is my first post on your forums. I have been searching for a few hours on the best way, and how to, do what I'm trying. First, some background on what exactly I am trying to do.

I work in the local county courthouse, and 2 or 3 times a month there is a court list of 99 individuals, that have cases in the courthouse. About 50 of these cases are static, and repeat monthly. The other half change, but I do not know if they will be changing or not at the time the data is inputed.

My plan is to create an excel file, with 5 columns being: defendant, plaintiff, case number, docket number, and date. I want to then export the data into a Word form (bench warrant form). Each row of the excel file is the specifics of a different case, and it would be nice to populate that row of data into the Word form and then print the Word form. I then want to go down the list (or row) for ease of printing these bench warrants. Currently, we are using a PDF file that has 5 tab'able fields to input data. Since there are frequent repeats, it would be nice to type the data once in the excel file, and then have it auto-populate into Word.

Maybe have the macro/formula be a clickable button in column 6, specific to each row? So it then could be "clicked" to populate the word form, then once printed, go to the next row and click the macro, and so on.

I do not think a mail merge would work, because I plan on distributing these files to 4 other people in the office, who each have their own caseload of 25 or so that would be using it. Plus, I'm trying to make this as user-friendly as possible, because the other caseworkers have even less Office knowledge then me :eek:.

It would be great if it could then be customized on which case I want to print, for example if I want to populate cases 1-4, 7, 9, 15 with no apparent sequence or order. That is why I like the idea of a formula "button."

I looked into using macros and VB, but my 100 level Java programming isn't quite cutting it.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question