dvds don't play

when i try to play a dvd nothing happens at all. when i click on the play
menu on media player 10 it says that drive d is empty. the dvd or cd audio is
deselected on the play menu. i have xp home os and cyberlink power pack dvd
se and mp3 power encoder pack. i tried to update the drivers and was told
that i already have the most recent updates. also, even pictures i recorded
on same computer and have played before are not recognised. any clues would
be appreciated.

decoder

frustrated in memphis said:
when i try to play a dvd nothing happens at all. when i click on the play
menu on media player 10 it says that drive d is empty. the dvd or cd audio
is
deselected on the play menu. i have xp home os and cyberlink power pack
dvd
se and mp3 power encoder pack. i tried to update the drivers and was told
that i already have the most recent updates. also, even pictures i
recorded
on same computer and have played before are not recognised. any clues
would
be appreciated.

Hi Frustrated,

A) Have you previously been able to playback dvd's?
Or has this problem always existed?

B) You detail vaguely of some pics you "recorded on same computer"
and which you were able to "play before"? Do you mean you
recorded to disk or playback from a folder? Is it your slideshow
software and/or media player not recognising them? Or an
example of a disk that was once recognised but not anymore?

C) Exactly what drivers for what device did you attempt to update?
Do you mean a firmware update?

D) Place a disk with content in the problematic Drive "D"
wait 20 seconds, then double click "My Computer"
Listed will be your drives, is drive D listed?
And is it listed detailing content?

No, i don't even get a dialog box when i insert a disk of any type. I
wonder, does this sound like a file system problem. I have drivers on fat32
and hardware on ntfs, how is this rectified ? Does SCSI connect the two ? I
recently deleted several files due to adware and trojan horse type issues.
Thanks for your time.

A. yes, dvds and cds
B. disks that i have played before are not being recognized now.
C. i updated drivers for removable media and usb.
D. no, i used to see at least the dialog box.
is it possible i have a file system comflict,ntfs on harddrive and fat32
drivers ?
i recently deleted some files due to adware/virus issues

Cari \(MS-MVP\)

Let's ignore the FAT32 and NTFS and SCSI issues, since they are not related
to your current problem.

Does the light come on the optical drive when you put a disk in it?

Double click on My Computer before you put a disk in the drive. On disk
insertion, does the Drive indicate anything at all after it 'reads' the disk
...... ie does it change from DVD drive to CD drive.... or perhaps a number
comes up indicating the volume ID of the disk?

decoder

frustrated in memphis said:
A. yes, dvds and cds
B. disks that i have played before are not being recognized now.
C. i updated drivers for removable media and usb.
Do you mean you updated drivers(?) for a removeable device?
Ipod, usb hard drive, smartmedia card reader. digital cam etc etc etc????
This should not have any impact on your dvd drive, do these USB
devices show in "My Computer"?
D. no, i used to see at least the dialog box.
"Dialog box"? When you double-click "My Computer" a window
should open, there should be headings:
"Files stored on ths PC" (Owner's and Shared doc folders etc?)
"Hard disk drives" - This will detail "C" drive
(As you previously detailed the problematic dvd drive as "D"
then it can be safely assumed you don't have partitions or
additional HD?).
Then there should be heading:
"Devices with removeable storage"
The first in list under this heading should be Floppy and assigned
the letter "A"
Then listed should be your DVD and CD drives?
I suspect you connect USB devices, and maybe a firewire device?
These will be listed as "Removeable disk" and assigned a number
(1), (2) etc
We need to know does "My Computer" detail all hardware, and
specifically your DVD drive?
is it possible i have a file system comflict,ntfs on harddrive and fat32
drivers ?
This is doubtful to be the cause
i recently deleted some files due to adware/virus issues

"Deleted"?
If you used software that detects adware/spyware, these apps
will remove the offenders...... or did you manually delete files?
Do you have uptodate AV and firewall software installed?

Can you make a correlation with this problem occuring and
any change(s) you made?

Have you tried system restore?

yes, the light blinks for about 15 seconds.
my computer area does not change with the addition of a disk

decoder

frustrated in memphis said:
yes, the light blinks for about 15 seconds.
my computer area does not change with the addition of a disk -
What does that mean????

I've come to the conclusion you're not a poster with a genuine problem!
You're just time-wasting!

I updated drivers for removable media such as DVD and CD.
I see all that in "my computer" but, what I'm referring to is
at the desktop only and getting the box asking what action
windows should take after having put in a cd or dvd.
The light comes on the drive but nothing shows up in "my
computer."

decoder

"frustrated in memphis" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
***desktop only and getting the box asking what action
windows should take after having put in a cd or dvd****

This is utter nonsense, end of thread.

Hi, I too have the same problem, I can play some dvd's then not others. I
will post when I find a solution