dvd rental database design

G

i am looking to set-up a basic dvd rental system where by i have a list of the dvds, list of the customer details and then a table listing the rentals. i want the database to work whereas a customer rents a dvd, the rental is then added to the rental table and the availability of the dvd is changed from yes to no in the dvd table. when the dvd is returned i then want the availability to change back to yes and the customers rentals to delete the rental from their list. it should be pretty simple but i am really struggling at how to figure out how it works. been quite a while since i last used access so any help is very much appreciated. thanks.

G

Personally I might be inclined, for the sake of simplicity, to skip the rental table and merely post a customer's name against the DVD they have borrowed. If you did this, with a date that the DVD went out, you would know which DVD's were available to rent by filtering for records where the Customer name field and the date out field were empty

Similarly, you could fillter by hire date to check for overdue returns

A very simple 2 table database

You might like to add a bit of code that sets the hire date to now() when a customer name is written into the customer field of the DVD table to save yourself finger fatigue.

Ask a Question