Duplicate Messages

R

Rick

When I download messages from my pop3 server with Windows Mail I get two copies of each new message. The
account is set up to save a copy on the server however nothing is being left on the mail server. This just
started since a clean install to Vista 3 days ago. When accessing my pop3 mail sever with an XP machine and
Outlook Express only one copy of each new message is downloaded. Any ideas would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rick Hanson

G

Gary VanderMolen

Did you look in Accounts and verify there is only one account, not two?

Gary VanderMolen

G

Gary VanderMolen

Is the second copy downloaded in the same download as
the first copy, or is it a matter of downloading the same set
of messages on successive downloads?

One possible culprit could be your antivirus program.
Read http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#3
If you have McAfee or Norton antivirus, uninstall it. Reboot and try
Windows Mail again. Once you get your email working properly,
download and install a less intrusive antivirus program such as the
free Avast. Whichever antivirus program you keep, be sure to
disable its email scanning option.

Gary VanderMolen

P

Peter Foldes

This can be caused by your Anti Virus set to scan incoming and outgoing emails. It can also be caused by having your Anti Spam filter set. Disable the Anti Virus incoming and outgoing email scanning option and test. Same if you have Anti Spam filtering set.
You will still be protected with your resident Anti Virus engine.

R

Rick

Yes the second copy is downloaded in the same download as the first copy.
Thanks,
Rick

R

Rick

I've solved the problem thaks guys. I have two e-mail addresses on two different servers with the same
ISP. One is golden.net the other gto.net When I used Windows transfer it set my login the same for both
servers. I assume this created some sort of loop where the message copies left on the golden server were some
how routed through the gto server. I corrected the logins and now single copies are being downloaded and
copies are being left on the servers. I am using Norton Internet Security 2007 with no e-mail problems however
the firewall has been turned of in lieu of the Vista one to make my home network function.
Thanks all,
Rick Hanson

This can be caused by your Anti Virus set to scan incoming and outgoing emails. It can also be caused by
having your Anti Spam filter set. Disable the Anti Virus incoming and outgoing email scanning option and test.
Same if you have Anti Spam filtering set.
You will still be protected with your resident Anti Virus engine.

Ask a Question