Duplicate file scanner/remover?

Ivan Hanley

Can anyone recommend a freeware duplicate file scanner and remover for Win
XP?

I would like something that can scan across multiple disks, check
intelligently (if possible) not just on date/time/filesize and that works on
as many file types as possible.

Thanks for your help,

--
Ivan Hanley.
eBay:- Scooby-Shack

"When I told the people of Northern Ireland that I was
an atheist, a woman in the audience stood up and said,
'Yes, but is it the God of the Catholics or the God of
the Protestants in whom you don't believe?'"
_____________
Quentin Crisp

Thorkild Dalsgaard

Can anyone recommend a freeware duplicate file scanner and remover for Win
XP?

I would like something that can scan across multiple disks, check
intelligently (if possible) not just on date/time/filesize and that works on
as many file types as possible.

DupeLocater can search thousands of files in a matter of seconds.

It does NOT care about file names or dates, only the contents of the files.
Files are considered duplicates If, and ONLY if, their entire contents are
identical. Bit for bit.
Duplicate files are exactly the same size, and contain exactly the same data.

But since the website is retired, get it from the wayback achive:

http://web.archive.org/web/20040203022210/http://www.midnightblue.com/dupelocater.htm

Regards
Thorkild Dalsgaard

Susan Bugher

Ivan said:
Thorkild Dalsgaard wrote:
: DupeLocater can search thousands of files in a matter of seconds.

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately when I try run this I get an error -
"not a valid win 32 executable". Maybe it's not XP compatible.

That doesn't appear to be the problem.

http://web.archive.org/web/20031202203135/www.midnightblue.com/sitehelp/help.htm

"All our software has been tested completely on the following platforms.
Windows 95 Windows 98 Windows NT 4.0 Windows 2000 Windows ME Windows XP"

so maybe you have a bad download. . .

FYI - here are a couple other places to DL DupeLocater:
http://ftp.tdcnorge.no/pub/windows/misc/
http://silentdragon.com/download/DupeLocater/

and here's a list of more dupe checkers:

http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php#3.10DuplicateFileChecker

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware
http://google.ca/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

:
: and here's a list of more dupe checkers:
:
http://www.pricelesswarehome.org/acf/P_FILEUTILITIES.php#3.10DuplicateFileChecker

Thanks Susan, I'll check them out.

YW Ivan. :)