Duke Nukem Forever

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow, it's finally coming? I think they should have set an April 1st release date, just as one last twist :lol:. That must be over 10 years in the making!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Looks good, nice to see that sense of humour's still intact.

Please let it be good....

And please let my system be able to run it, lol

Reaction score
For anyone wanting to get their Duke nukem fix while waiting for DNF:

EDuke32 is an awesome, free homebrew game engine and source port of the classic PC first person shooter Duke Nukem 3D— Duke3D for short—to Windows, Linux, Mac OS X, FreeBSD, several handhelds, and to your family toaster. We've added all kinds of new renderers, tons of cool features and upgrades for regular players, and thousands of additional editing capabilities and scripting extensions for mod creators. EDuke32 is completely free, open source software.

First brewed in August 2004 by Duke community leader Richard "TerminX" Gobeille—joined in 2005 by NVIDIA software engineer Pierre-Loup "Plagman" Griffais—and incorporating work by 3D Realms/Ken Silverman/Jonathon Fowler/Matt Saettler, what started as a learning experience and an excuse to learn C soon rose from obscurity to become pretty much the best Duke Nukem 3D port ever. We think you'll agree.

EDuke32 screams bad-arse so loud, you'll think Iron Maiden frontman Bruce Dickinson got uppercut in the balls by Freddy Krueger. We acknowledge that that is possibly the most ridiculous statement ever made, by us or anyone else—and we don't care!

You even get Mapster32, a hacked up and enhanced version of that good ol' BUILD editor you remember fruitlessly trying to make maps with way back in college—when you were sober enough to see the monitor, that is. Yee-haw!

EDuke32 is licensed under the GNU GPL and the BUILD license.

and:

The latest supported Windows build of EDuke32 was released on July 4, 2010:

Windows users:

Click that big download button above!

Ubuntu and Debian Linux users:

See apt.duke4.net for APT repository and installation information

Mac OS X users:

Download third-party builds for Mac OS X here

Need help? Join us on IRC at irc://irc.freenode.net/eduke32 or visit the forums

Looking for the source code? Snag it from our Subversion repository—
svn co https://eduke32.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/eduke32 eduke32

Alien bastards shot up your copy of Duke? Come get some for just $5.99! Even though EDuke32 is free, you need Duke Nukem 3D to use EDuke32.

Support continued EDuke32 development by purchasing a copy of Duke through us—it's easier than pirating it, you get immediate access to download it at any time, forever, and you don't have to feel guilty about cheating a bunch of people out of their share of a measly 6 bucks. Win!

Once you've downloaded EDuke32, you'll probably want to read our wiki page on installation and configuration, as well as the FAQ if you have any problems.

Support received

EDuke32 has recently received backing from a site called PokerListings. They normally do stuff like online poker guides, but now they're doing a campaign to support projects that contribute to the PC gaming community in general. They've selected us and we'd like to thank them for their support! Duke plays poker and so should you.

So, why is EDuke32 so great? What about other ports, or the original DOS version?

Touché. To show we're not completely full of it, here are several advantages EDuke32 has over any other version of Duke Nukem 3D we've ever seen:

It runs natively without relying on emulation of any kind
It runs at crazy resolutions like 3072x2304.
It allows you to choose between two different hardware accelerated OpenGL renderers, or the classic, warped software mode you grew up with
It fixes an insane amount of programming errors which were harmless in the days of DOS but are fatal with modern protected memory models; translation: it crashes less
It's been the only actively developed and maintained Duke3D port for years
It features Plagman's incredible "Polymer" renderer as a replacement for Ken Silverman's "Polymost" renderer
A huge number of new extensions to the game's scripting system, allowing gameplay mods that rival even modern games.
It runs the HRP with support for all features, most of which require EDuke32; no other port can run the HRP with all features enabled
Adds a full-featured console, including Quake-style key bindings, command aliases, advanced tab completion, comprehensive command history, colored text and more
Hundreds of code rewrites, optimizations and fixes for rare or annoying bugs in the original code
Adds tons of optional new features that make the player's life easier including modern status display/HUD, support for loading mods from the startup window, and modern, WSAD-based controls with thoroughly reworked mouse aiming
It supports Ogg Vorbis sound and music
It's developed by people who have been in the Duke3D scene since the beginning
It lets you play that game called 'NAM' you saw at the dollar store 10 years ago
It makes sandwiches

From eduke32.com where you can get it :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
To run this game you will need the DUKE3D.GRP file from the original Duke 3D CD.

I have the original Duke 3D CD but just found out it's damaged and I can't copy that file. But I did manage to find the file online.

You put the DUKE3D.GRP file into the unzipped directory, click on the exe file and the game runs.

It's working perfectly for me in Win 7 :)

Retro, baby :D

Reaction score
To run this game you will need the DUKE3D.GRP file from the original Duke 3D CD.

I have the original Duke 3D CD but just found out it's damaged and I can't copy that file. But I did manage to find the file online.

You put the DUKE3D.GRP file into the unzipped directory, click on the exe file and the game runs.

It's working perfectly for me in Win 7 :)

Retro, baby :D

Must be them "Alien bastards shot up your copy of Duke" :D

This is awesome, I didn't think it possible with the dated graphics but I feel the old ambiance I've missed for years. Can't wait to see the levels I never seen when all I had was the shareware version which I played over & over back in the day :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Duke Nukem delayed

Well there's a surprise eh? :D

Now mid-June.

Warning: cuss words a plenty in the comments (not surprised really, lol)

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
son of a........of all the games I want to play (and I don't game much anymore), that is top of the list.

I miss the days of teleporters and sending rockets around the space base through them.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Well, what's an extra month out of a total 10+ year delay :lol:. Interesting that the international release date is before the USA?

I'm tempted to see if DN 3D works on Windows 7 ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Pre order now, release due 9th June. :D

http://store.steampowered.com/app/57900/

Great fun flash game promoting the release of DNF.... ;)

WARNING VERY NSFW!! http://www.boob-tube.eu/duke-nudem/

NSFW? Ok

I thought it was out on the 10th.

Cos I bought Borderlands GOTY edition with all the dlc/extras/whatever I got membership to the so-called exclusive Duke Nukem Club.

Which means they've promised me a demo on June 3rd.

I'll believe it when I've d/l it but if it's true I'll let you know what it's like.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Alright I Googled NFSW and it's Need For Speed every Wednesday, no, it's 'Not Safe For Work'.

So now I know another abreviation I am truly edging closer to Nerdsville :)

Just had a look at prices for the PC version and as of today (Saturday 21st May):

Steam, download - £30
Amazon, hard copy, free postage - £27
Play.com Hard copy, free postage - £27
GAME Store, hard copy, online price, free delivery - £35

I haven't seen the PC version anywhere else cheaper than £27.

If you fancy the Balls Of Steel edition in which you get in addition to the game:

Collectible bust of Duke Nukem
Numbered limited edition certificate of authenticity
100-page hardcover book: History, Legacy & Legend: Duke Nukem Forever Art from the Vault
Duke Nukem Forever postcard series
Duke Nukem Forever radioactive emblem sticker
Duke Nukem Forever collectable comic book
Duke Nukem Forever foldable paper craft
Duke Nukem Forever poker chips
Duke Nukem Forever mini-card deck
Duke Nukem Forever radioactive emblem dice

GAME Store - £60
Amazon - Not listed yet but they're charging £65 for Xbox 360 & PS3 versions.
Play.com - £50

And the vanilla flavour game for PS3 & Xbox 360 is generally around forty quid.

Reaction score
Alright I Googled NFSW and it's Need For Speed every Wednesday, no, it's 'Not Safe For Work'.

So now I know another abreviation I am truly edging closer to Nerdsville :)

Just had a look at prices for the PC version and as of today (Saturday 21st May):

Steam, download - £30
Amazon, hard copy, free postage - £27
Play.com Hard copy, free postage - £27
GAME Store, hard copy, online price, free delivery - £35

I haven't seen the PC version anywhere else cheaper than £27.

If you fancy the Balls Of Steel edition in which you get in addition to the game:

Collectible bust of Duke Nukem
Numbered limited edition certificate of authenticity
100-page hardcover book: History, Legacy & Legend: Duke Nukem Forever Art from the Vault
Duke Nukem Forever postcard series
Duke Nukem Forever radioactive emblem sticker
Duke Nukem Forever collectable comic book
Duke Nukem Forever foldable paper craft
Duke Nukem Forever poker chips
Duke Nukem Forever mini-card deck
Duke Nukem Forever radioactive emblem dice

GAME Store - £60
Amazon - Not listed yet but they're charging £65 for Xbox 360 & PS3 versions.
Play.com - £50

And the vanilla flavour game for PS3 & Xbox 360 is generally around forty quid.

Hey Flopps, I watch the NSFW show every Tuesday night at
http://twit.tv/nsfw or http://nsfwshow.com/ :)

Both Steam & Amazon currently shows DNF release date being June 13th. It's $45 on Steam, and $50 on Amazon, BUT - Amazon includes $10 credit towards other purchases at Amazon, and $3 MP3 credit. I do buy a lot of stuff on Amazon - hmmmmm..... :)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I just played the demo.

And I've just ordered the game from Amazon :D

If the demo's anything to go by - it's good.

You start off in a men's restroom where by pressing the use button you can use the urinal.

It's full of one-liners that actually make me laugh and it's quite unashamedly sexist.

'It's time to kick ass and chew bubble gum.

And I'm clean outta gum'.

There are two levels in the demo, the first where you shoot alien scum and bring down a small spaceship.

The level ends with Duke playing the game on a widescreen TV then two girls pop up from his lap area and ask 'Was it good for you Duke?' and then one says 'And was the game any good Duke?'

Duke replies, 'Yeah, and after twelve ******* years it ought to be'.

Next level has you driving one of those all terrain vehicles along a canyon squashing aliens and then you run outta gas so have to go into a mine to find some gas. There's a little puzzle solving and then a great ride on a mining cart Indianna Jones style.

I am now officially looking forward to this - please be good ;)

PS: Playing ok on my machine at medium res - I used the default settings the game chose.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lol, love it, you got Borderlands GOTY version then?

I only have the standard version off steam, But i do have it on preorder. :D

Ask a Question