Dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium

I have a dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium. It seems
to only recognize one of the processors. How do I enable the other?

Nut Cracker

I dont believe HOME is capable of working with 2 socketed processors. Dual
core, perhaps. but not 2 physicals.

Kerry Brown

Home versions of XP and Vista are limited to one physical CPU with any
number of cores.

DevilsPGD

In message <[email protected]> Gary
I have a dual Xeon processor system and Windows Vista Home Premium. It seems
to only recognize one of the processors. How do I enable the other?

Neither of the Vista Home offerings support multiple processes. Multiple
cores are supported though.

JW

I am surprised all of you have to copy each other with exactly the same
response which is correct. I epect that some of you are looking for browne
ponts at next weekw MVP confrerence in Remmonde for posting the most
repsonsed regardless of if they are duplicates are not of other responses.
I am surprised that not one of you poste the cause of the confusion to those
that upgarded to Vista Home Premium from MCE2005 was that the MCE 2005 was
based on XP pro which of courese does support multiple CPU chips wheraas as
XP home never has.

CrimLiar

JW said:
I am surprised all of you have to copy each other with exactly the same
response which is correct. I epect that some of you are looking for browne
ponts at next weekw MVP confrerence in Remmonde for posting the most
repsonsed regardless of if they are duplicates are not of other responses.
I am surprised that not one of you poste the cause of the confusion to
those that upgarded to Vista Home Premium from MCE2005 was that the MCE
2005 was based on XP pro which of courese does support multiple CPU chips
wheraas as XP home never has.

I haven't read the licenses for the other versions of Vista Home but the X64
version of Vista Home Premium states:

"Licensed Device. You may install one copy of the software on the licensed
device. You may use the software on up to two processors on that device at
one time. You may not use the software on any other device."

That's in section 2a of the license agreement......

Crimliar

DevilsPGD

I am surprised all of you have to copy each other with exactly the same
response which is correct. I epect that some of you are looking for browne
ponts at next weekw MVP confrerence in Remmonde for posting the most
repsonsed regardless of if they are duplicates are not of other responses.

Not at all -- I typed my response before there were any posts, but the
message sat around in my Outbox for a while.

Feel free to killfile me if I'm that much of a problem to you.

JW

You are correct I am not since I only use the MS sponsored newsgroups and if
wasn't for DevilsPGD posting getting stuck in his out box I would not have
commented the way I did.

DevilsPGD

You are correct I am not since I only use the MS sponsored newsgroups and if
wasn't for DevilsPGD posting getting stuck in his out box I would not have
commented the way I did.

I'm making a habit of firing off my Outbox a little more frequently, but
if I get distracted, it sometimes doesn't happen for a few hours. Or
days, should I write messages while I'm traveling, in a couple cases.

(I've been around since before the days when it mattered, when
propagation time was a significant factor, sometimes measured in days.
Heck, prior to that, I operating from a fidonet node and running the BBS
the fidonet node ran on, there was little use in posting anything before
the daily dialout)

Old habits die hard...

JW

I used to have the same problem but ever since I get broadband I have all
outgoing messages set to post immediatly and check for incoming every 5
minutes.

DevilsPGD

I used to have the same problem but ever since I get broadband I have all
outgoing messages set to post immediatly and check for incoming every 5
minutes.

All too often I go back and change my posts a couple minutes after I hit
the "Send" button, so I prefer to queue for the moment.

Another old habit...

Please tell me where this is even advertised to the users buying the product,
I've seen nothing on it on any packaging, so how was I to know this until I
installed it and activated my software?

Charles W Davis

I don't know where is is "written," but if you were after the power of the
dual processor, you shouldn't have skimped on the OS. Upgrade to Ultimate.

RE: Dual Xeon processor system and Windo

I got the Vista Premium thinking that it would be like XP Pro assuming Home
Basic was like XP Home. No where did it say if it would support Dual
Processors. My XP Pro did. Some wrote about "skimpping on OS ", well all
can't afford the price for a OS that has problems any way. I will be going to
Linux Ubuntu 8.04 or to Sabayon. It's Free and it WORK great on dual
processors. Good bye Microsoft!!!!

Colin Barnhorst

The Vista Product Guide tells you how may processors each edition supports.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...bf-4823-4a12-afe1-5b40b2ad3725&DisplayLang=en
See page 18.

The consumers editions of Windows have never supported dual physical
processor systems. They will run but they will not access the second
physical processor. It has always required a business edition to do so.

Of course all editions will utilize multicore processors just fine.

"RE: Dual Xeon processor system and Windo" <RE: Dual Xeon processor system
and (e-mail address removed)> wrote in message

Bender

Windows support was dropped a while back for the Alpha chip. This will help
Unix and Linux more than it will hurt Windows, so I read at the time.
So how is the Alpha chip support going with you Linux/Unix guys? Has the
dropping of Windows support been helpful to you? I haven't heard much about
the Alpha chip lately.