dual channel...?

Reaction score
ok im gonna sound a right old idiot but is my memory working in dual channel? About a year ago I added a 512MB crucial pc3200 stick to the generic 512mb pc2700 stick, but as they are different speeds do they work in dual channel?

+ would i get any performance increase in replacing the pc2700 with a crucial pc3200?

sorry to ask stupid questions :p

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
As you are running two different speed of memory, the system will normally default to the lower speed for both sticks, so all of your memory will be running at 2700.
Also, to be able to run your memory in dual channnel configuration you need to have a matched pair (i.e. you need two sticks of the same brand, by the same manufacturer and of the same size & speed, it's also best if they are both from the same production batch). Ideally for dual channel memory, you should really get a set designed for dual channel, as they will be much more closely matched than buying two of the same stick seperately.

Reaction score
most boards will tell you on post if you are in dual channel. This is usually slot sensitive, the sticks must be in the proper slots.
I doubt you would have any success with such radically different sitcks tho. Better off with a matched pair.

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
if you have CPUZ, under the memory tab it says whether its in single or dual channel mode

Reaction score
Dual channel dosen't really make any difference anyway so it's no biggie... you wouldn't notice any difference i shouldnt think.

You should see on the POST something like "Dual Channel Mode Enabled"

Your memory will only run as fast as your processor allows - e.g. using PC3200 (400MHz) on an Athlon 2800+ (333MHz) will mean your memory will not be running at full capacity.

Reaction score
well under the cpu-z memory tab it says nothing about dual channel, just 1024mb. I was really just wondering if running dual channel would make a big difference, and whether i should bother spending £70 - odd on more memory when i could be spending it on a new one.

by the looks of things it isn't worth it

thanks guys, and sorry to ask stupid questions :p

Ask a Question