DSN ODBC Issues Across Domains

G

I have developed and Access front end database for the Fairfax County Government Training Department that handles instructor evaluations and Student Sign-In's for class. This front end is deployed to over 120 workstations and attaches to a SQL 2000 backend database.

Recently, management decided to move all training workstations to a seperate domain (.i.e named Training w/no trusts in a windows 2000 environment). Because of this we are having problems using a system dsn or a file dsn to seemlessly attach to the SQL 2000 database. The training workstation is in the Training Domain and the SQL 2000 database is in the FFX domain. We can attach to the database after the user receives a SQL error and then manually provides a SQL Account name and password. We ant to use a file dsn to seemlessly make this connection - providing it was working correctly when both the workstation and the SQL 2000 database were both in the same domain. We also use SMS installer to prepackage this application

1. When you create a file dsn using the ODBC datasource administrator the connection seems to work correctly. However, when used the dsn actually looses it's settings. We are not using a trusted connection - we are using a SQL Account and password. The below dsn was manually configured because the ODBC datasource administrator would not save the setting correctly. We don't mind manually setting the configuration properties for the dsn

2. This configuration works fine as long as the SQL 2000 database and the workstation are both in the same domain but does not work when the SQL 2000 database and workstation are both not in the same domain. When you try to open the application it states that a trusted connection required even though we have manually configured it for SQL 2000 ID and password.

3. I've even loaded the SQL 2000 client tools on the workstation and that does nothing. I have also noticed that ASP.NET applications work fine across domains with no trusts when using a SQL2000 ID and Password (i.e. w/ no trusted authentication

[ODBC
DRIVER=SQL Serve
UID=be_trngUse
PWD=b3tra!nin
DATABASE=be_trngSQ
WSID=W709CRFC3
APP=Microsoft Open Database Connectivit
SERVER=S70SQL0
Description=SacesDS

Please help? What are we missing? Very much appreciated. Thanks,

RHOCKE

Ask a Question