drop down menu selection

J

Jim Y

Using the game Solitaire as an example, is there a way in which I can separate the menu selections
vertically. Under Game menu are Undo, Deck and Options (plus other things). Can I provide
additional vertical space between each of the items on the menu? If yes, please explain.

I have found (at times) that a slight variation in the position of the arrow and I unintentionally
select the item below the intended one. I realize this is probably my fault unintentionally moving
the mouse while pressing the left button. Is there something with the mouse that can be done to
help other than be more precise with the positioning of the mouse?

Suggestions?

Thank you,
Jim Y

W

Wesley Vogel

I doubt it. Ask the programmer(s) of Solitaire.

Some drop down menus are the same as right click context menus. I.e. File
menu in folders, etc.

Manage the context-menu entries for folders, drives and Namespace objects
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/context_folders.htm

Customize Context Menus
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/show/article02-026

Remove unwanted entries from the context menus
Customize the right click context menus
http://www2.technobabble.com.au/article182.html

Creating Context Menu Handlers
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...ing/extensionhandlers/contextmenuhandlers.asp

Customizing Right-Click Menu Options in Windows
http://www.jfitz.com/tips/rclick_custom.html

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Wes
MS-MVP Windows Shell/User

In

A

Alec S.

Jim Y said:
Using the game Solitaire as an example, is there a way in which I can separate the menu selections
vertically. Under Game menu are Undo, Deck and Options (plus other things). Can I provide
additional vertical space between each of the items on the menu? If yes, please explain.

I have found (at times) that a slight variation in the position of the arrow and I unintentionally
select the item below the intended one. I realize this is probably my fault unintentionally moving
the mouse while pressing the left button. Is there something with the mouse that can be done to

Yes, it's possible and it can be pretty easy too. Unfortunately, it can also be difficult, impossible, unreliable, and dangerous as
well. It's not a formal or supported method and is not guaranteed to work for all programs. There is no official way to do what
you want, so you will have to HACK it. What this means is that you will actually have to modify the programs themselves which is
not the best idea if you can avoid it, especially if you are not confident in your computer abilities.

Before resorting to that, first see if you can adjust your mouse's sensitivity/precision settings. Maybe that can help avoid the
problem in the first place.

Next, you will want to check accessibility settings in the control panel. They are designed to make the system easier to use.
Using Mouse Keys allows you to use the keyboard's numeric pad to control the cursor, which has the added benefit of giving you
pixel-perfect precision.

It would be nice if there was a program that could hook the menus of other apps and modify them as needed—it's certainly
possible—but I have not heard of such a program (there are too few practical applications for it).

Failing that, you can fall back on modifying the program itself (it's probably a good idea to limit this to just the ones where it's
really necessary.) To do so, you will need a copy of Angus Johnson's program Resource Hacker: http://www.angusj.com/resourcehacker/

Once you've got that, run it and open the program file. Using Solitaire as the example, you would open \windows\system32\sol.exe in
reshacker. Look in the left pane, there will be a list of resources. There should be a Menu branch; expand that. In the Menu
branch there will be one or more branches (one in Solitaire's case). Open them until you find the menu you are trying to change. In
this case you will see the menus that Solitaire has, and this one in particular:

POPUP "&Game"
{
MENUITEM "&Deal\t F2", 1000
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM "&Undo", 1001
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM "De&ck...", 1002
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM "&Options...", 1003
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM "E&xit", 1004
}

Click in that then copy the line MENUITEM SEPARATOR and paste it in as many times as you need. For example:

POPUP "&Game"
{
MENUITEM "&Deal\t F2", 1000
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM "&Undo", 1001
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM "De&ck...", 1002
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM "&Options...", 1003
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM SEPARATOR
MENUITEM "E&xit", 1004
}

Now click the Compile Script button and test it in the live, test menu (click the Show Menu button if it's not there). When you're
satisfied with it, save it: File->Save. Reshacker will automatically create a backup copy of the file (in this case
sol_original.exe). Test the program to see if it works and has the menu the way you want. If not, delete the file (eg: sol.exe)
and copy/rename the original back (sol_original.exe->sol.exe).

This will work for a lot, but not all programs. Some programs are packed, so you would need to unpack them first. Others use
different formats, others are protected, and so on.

HTH

H

Hans-Peter Diettrich

Jim said:

I modified the Solitaire menu of an older version, using the Borland
resource editor. Such tools work very well, provided that the resources
are standard Windows resources. Nowadays some programs use private
resources for menus, dialogs etc., which can not normally be modified.

DoDi

J

Jim Y

Jim Y said:

select the item below the intended one. I realize this is probably my fault unintentionally
moving the mouse while pressing the left button. Is there something with the mouse that can be
done to help other than be more precise with the positioning of the mouse?

Suggestions?

Thank you,
Jim Y
Thank you Wesley, Alec and Hans-Peter for your comments. I appreciate the effort of your answers,
but I was hoping for something that would affect all drop down menus with a *single* built-in
Windows modification.

Jim Y

A

Alec S.

Jim Y said:
Thank you Wesley, Alec and Hans-Peter for your comments. I appreciate the effort of your answers,
but I was hoping for something that would affect all drop down menus with a *single* built-in
Windows modification.

Like I said, you would need a program that would hook Windows menus. It's possible but I doubt if any exist. Your best is to try
accessibility functions/mouse settings.

G

Right Click Desktop > Properties >Appearance tab > Advanced > Scroll Down to
"Menu"
Increase the size just right to the scroll-down box [not the one next to
font].Ok.Ok.

If you use WinXP theme and you want your old spacing back you have to go
back there and set it back to the previous value. You can't get that just by
reapplying the theme. So note down the values you set, in case you want them
back.

R

Ronnie Vernon MVP

You cannot change this without a good knowledge of programming.

You might want to try lowering the mouse acceleration (movement) setting. This will have the effect of slowing the movement of the mouse. Other than this, you just need to re-train yourself to pause, and make sure the pointer is where you intend to click, before you click the mouse button.

J

Jim Y

That did what I wanted to do. I went from 19 to 25 and will see how that well that works.

Thank you,
Jim Y

Ayush said:
"Menu"
font].Ok.Ok.

back.

Jim Y said:
Using the game Solitaire as an example, is there a way in which I can separate the menu
selections

I have found (at times) that a slight variation in the position of the arrow and I
unintentionally
select the item below the intended one. I realize this is probably my fault unintentionally
moving

Suggestions?

Thank you,
Jim Y

G

Glad to help you.

Jim Y said:
That did what I wanted to do. I went from 19 to 25 and will see how that well that works.

Thank you,
Jim Y

Ayush said:
"Menu"
font].Ok.Ok.

back.

A

Alec S.

Jim Y said:

Ayush said:
"Menu"
font].Ok.Ok.

Yup, that should suffice if set right. :)

Ask a Question