Drive Image 2002: Error #91 Western Digital Hard Drive

Dr. J

Hi. I am trying to make an image of my freshly reformatted Western
Digital 40 GB 7200 rpm HDD.

I am useing Windows 98 SE and just FYI

Motherboard=Abit BH6
Processor=Intel Tualatin 1.4Ghz Celron
RAM=512 MB PC100 SDRAM
Hard Drive 1=WD 40GB 7200RPM
Hard Drive 2=Maxtor 80GB 7200RPM
Sound=Soundblaster 64PCI
CDRW=Norcent 52x32x52
Video= ATI Radeon 8500DV

No matter whether I use the rescue disks or the Drive Image software
itself, I keep getting this error on reboot

Error #91

I have gone to the Norton website only to find that I need to clear my
MBR useing the a:\>fdisk /cmbr 1 to get rid of this. I have tried that
AND a:\>fdisk /mbr and BOTH do NOTHING.

I am not getting this problem on my other AMD system with a similar
hard drive and the same version of Windows 98 SE.

How do I get rid of this error so that I can finally make a backup of
my HDD?

I have also heard suggestions that there was some sort of update for
my MBR online. As of now, I have not found one on the Western Digital
Website.

Michael Kimmer

Dr. J said:
[...]

Your story is a different one from the one that I found (on the Symantec
Online Support database)
It comes to deleting the disk manager sig in the area directly after the
first sector (MBR $000- $00FF)
Signature to be deleted lies in absolute pos. 0513 - 32255
There is a disk manager installed.
1 - Get a Disk Manager removal tool from the manufacturer's web site?
or
2 - Visit http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id2747.html
--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

Dr. J

Thats just the problem though. This was the site on the knowlegebase
that I was refering to. Next, I was on the Western Digital website
for HOURS looking for a reference to a disk manager to no avail.

Where would I find such removal software?

Dr. J

I already have Data Lifeguard Tools. Both the downloaded version and
the one on floppy. You can only use a manufaturer's software with
one of its drives. They are incompatible with others.

DLT was the 1st thing I turned to when I saw all the reference
material on my problem.

But, Data Lifeguard Tools has no option to get rid of disk manager.
Is there some hidden feature that I should know about?

Dr. J

I already have Data Lifeguard Tools. Both the downloaded version and
the one on floppy. You can only use a manufaturer's software with
one of its drives. They are incompatible with others.

DLT was the 1st thing I turned to when I saw all the reference
material on my problem.

But, Data Lifeguard Tools has no option to get rid of disk manager.
Is there some hidden feature that I should know about?

I have been trying for days now and I still have not been able to find
the feature that gets rid of disk manager.

Michael Kimmer

Dr. J said:
(e-mail address removed) (Dr. J) wrote in message

I have been trying for days now and I still have not been able to find
the feature that gets rid of disk manager.

Well there should be a way (tool) enabling you to clear head 0 of ALL
drives?

Here is one:

Drive Image 2002 comes with a tool called WRPROG (it is located in the
Utility folder on the program CD) that can export head 0 to a file.
A tool call PATCH
(ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/patch.zi
p) enables you to INITIALIZE the part AFTER offset $0200 (=directly after
the MBR (1st sector))...Offset 513 - 32255. There resides the disk manager's
signature.
For instruction on how to perform this, pleas read the following steps:

a. Run wrprog.exe to make a backup of the data contained in the hard disk·s
first head. To create the backup, enter the following command at the DOS
prompt:

WRPROG /bak head0.dat.

b. Run patch.exe.
c. Press U (for ·Physical unit·).
d. In the Name: field, type 128 (128=1st Hard Disk) then press F12. Patch
displays the drive information in hex values.
e. Press F2.
f. In the Byte Position field, type 512, and then press ENTER.
g. Press CTRL+K, B.
h. Press F2.
i. In the Byte Position field, type 32255, and then press ENTER.
j. Press CTRL+K, K.
k. Press CTRL+K, =.
l. In the Fill Value field, type 0, and then press ENTER.
m. Press F9 to save.
n. Press F12, and then press Y to quit.

Restore the head 0 file (without disk manager) using the syntax:

WRPROG /rst head0.dat.

This procedure will kill the presence of a disk manager.
Unfortunately this will only work for the first primary master disk, one
cannot specify an other disk to process. To process also a second HDD
temporarily take out the boot disk, boot from floppy with WRPROG and PATCH
on it and repeat the above steps...

More info on WRPROG read:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id4350.html

--

Dr. J said:
(e-mail address removed) (Dr. J) wrote in message

I have been trying for days now and I still have not been able to find
the feature that gets rid of disk manager.

Well there should be a way (tool) enabling you to clear head 0 of ALL
drives?

Here is one:

Drive Image 2002 comes with a tool called WRPROG (it is located in the
Utility folder on the program CD) that can export head 0 to a file.
A tool call PATCH
(ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/patch.zi
p) enables you to INITIALIZE the part AFTER offset $000 - $01ff (=directly
after
the MBR (1st sector))...Offset 512 - 32255: there resides the disk manager's

Michael Kimmer said:
[...]

Thanx for responding! However, I followed your instructions, and lowe
and behold, the problem persists! No change.

Also, by backing up with WRPROG, arnt I just undoing anything I may
have done with PATCH?

Must I run PATCH in DOS for it to be effective? Must it be run from a
floppy or can it be run from another hard drive?

Michael Kimmer

Dr. J said:
Thanx for responding! However, I followed your instructions, and lowe
and behold, the problem persists! No change.

Also, by backing up with WRPROG, arnt I just undoing anything I may
have done with PATCH?

Must I run PATCH in DOS for it to be effective? Must it be run from a
floppy or can it be run from another hard drive?

You must have done something wrong. WRPROG or PATCH: as WRPROG directly
accesses your hardware it MUST be started in pure DOS. PATCH, that only
INITIALIZES a FILE created with WRPROG, can simply be started from Windows.
The actual restore with WRPROG needs again to be performed in true DOS as
it, again, writes directly to your hardware...OR...are you actually running
an EZ BIOS similar thingy that actually restores the presence of some sort
of disk manager?

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

zion6

Hi
I have exactly the same problem. Was this ever actually resolved?
Also-I am trying to find the "Patch" program and can't.
Mine won't work with either a Maxtor or WD drive. I was only able to
restore by using my daughters Windows partitioned and formatted
drive. Seems both Maxtor and WD must use disk manager in some way. I
called Maxtor and they had me use their tools to "Write zeros to
first 512K" which had no effect.
Dr J-did you re-try running the Patch and other program?

Finally-is there simply a better program to do this with?

==============

Michael Kimmer

zion6 said:
Hi
I have exactly the same problem. Was this ever actually resolved?
Also-I am trying to find the "Patch" program and can't.
Mine won't work with either a Maxtor or WD drive. I was only able to
restore by using my daughters Windows partitioned and formatted
drive. Seems both Maxtor and WD must use disk manager in some way. I
called Maxtor and they had me use their tools to "Write zeros to
first 512K" which had no effect.
Dr J-did you re-try running the Patch and other program?

Finally-is there simply a better program to do this with?

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.

Here we go again:
This works!

Drive Image 2002 comes with a tool called WRPROG (it is located in the
Utility folder on the program CD) that can export head 0 to a file.
A tool call PATCH enables you to INITIALIZE the part AFTER offset $01FF
(=directly after the MBR (1st sector: 0-511))...Offset 512 - 32255. There
resides the disk manager's signature.
For instruction on how to perform this, pleas read the following steps:

First get Patch from:
ftp://ftp.symantec.com/public/english_us_canada/tools/pq/utilities/patch.zip

a. Run wrprog.exe to make a backup of the data contained in the hard disk's
first head. To create the backup, enter the following command at the DOS
prompt:

WRPROG /bak head0.dat.

b. Run patch.exe.
c. Press 'N' and navigate to the head0.dat file.
d. Press F12 to open the head0.dat file
e. Press F2.
f. In the Byte Position field, type 512, and then press ENTER.
g. Press CTRL+K, B.
h. Press F2.
i. In the Byte Position field, type 32255, and then press ENTER.
j. Press CTRL+K, K.
k. Press CTRL+K, =.
l. In the Fill Value field, type 0, and then press ENTER.
m. Press F9 to save.
n. Press F12, and then press Y to quit.

Restore the head 0 file (without disk manager) using the syntax:

WRPROG /rst head0.dat.

This procedure will eliminate the presence of a disk manager.
Unfortunately this will only work for the first primary master disk, one
cannot specify an other disk to process. To process also a second HDD
temporarily take out the boot disk, boot from floppy with WRPROG and PATCH
on it and repeat the above steps...

More info on WRPROG read:
http://www.symantec.com/techsupp/primus/id4350.html

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

zion6

Thank you Michael.
I will give it a try. I am a novice so I appreciate your patience. I
was wondering however, in the WRPROG program you backup the head0
and then run Patch-and restore, Arent you restoring the head0.dat
with disk manager still on it?

==============

Michael Kimmer

zion6 said:
Thank you Michael.
I will give it a try. I am a novice so I appreciate your patience. I
was wondering however, in the WRPROG program you backup the head0
and then run Patch-and restore, Arent you restoring the head0.dat
with disk manager still on it?

==============
Posted through www.HowToFixComputers.com/bb - free access to hardware
troubleshooting newsgroups.

Hi zion6,
If you went through the outlined steps again you would notice the steps that
would zero out the presence of the disk manager (Steps j through l).

--
M.f.G.
Michael Kimmer

"Ein Tag an dem Du nicht lächelst ist ein verlorener Tag"
"Eine Nacht in der Du nicht schläfst ist eine verschlafene Nacht"

zion6

Thanks
Ran the Win XP Recovery Console wit the "fixmbr" command and I'm back
in business.
From Recovery Console
fixmbr \device\HardDisk0
fixmbr \device\HardDisk1