Drag and drop from explorer to command window (cmd)

You used to be able to drag a file or folder from the explorer into the
command shell where it would show up as a path. That made it easy to run
commands on files or folders that you had open in explorer windows.

This functionality seems to have disappeared in my Vista RC2 x64.

Can you bring it back?

Intel Inside

Martin Stein said:
You used to be able to drag a file or folder from the explorer into the
command shell where it would show up as a path. That made it easy to run
commands on files or folders that you had open in explorer windows.

This functionality seems to have disappeared in my Vista RC2 x64.

Can you bring it back?

it's the same in the 32bit code

Dave Nuttall

You used to be able to drag a file or folder from the explorer into the
command shell where it would show up as a path. That made it easy to run
commands on files or folders that you had open in explorer windows.

This functionality seems to have disappeared in my Vista RC2 x64.

Can you bring it back?

I just noticed this as well. I can't think of any "security" reason for
removing this functionality, so we just have to hope that it was a dumb
mistake that will be corrected soon.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
This was deemed a security issue.
So this functionality was removed
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

<From: "Dave Nuttall" <[email protected]>
<Subject: Re: Drag and drop from explorer to command window (cmd)
<Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 17:30:21 -0700
<Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
<
<
<> You used to be able to drag a file or folder from the explorer into the
<> command shell where it would show up as a path. That made it easy to run
<> commands on files or folders that you had open in explorer windows.
<>
<> This functionality seems to have disappeared in my Vista RC2 x64.
<>
<> Can you bring it back?
<
<I just noticed this as well. I can't think of any "security" reason for
<removing this functionality, so we just have to hope that it was a dumb
<mistake that will be corrected soon.
<
<
<

Dave Nuttall

Hello,
This was deemed a security issue.
So this functionality was removed
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Thanks for the response, but I don't understand this.

I suspected that this may have been deemed a security issue, so I started a
command window as administrator. As I understand it, I, the user, have now
blessed this as kosher, and I am going to take responsibility for whatever
happens. I tried the drag and drop, and got the same "no go" sign as in a
regular command window. So I assumed that there must have been a coding
error.

At some point you must let the user of the system be responsible for their
own actions. I can put up with annoying pop-ups when I can see that
something else may be attempting to masquerade as me. But drag and drop into
an administrator command window??????

Terje Alexander Barth

"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
This was deemed a security issue.
So this functionality was removed
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

How can that be a SECURITY ISSUE?

It was a very usefull feature, removing it was just plain stupid.

MICHAEL

Terje Alexander Barth said:
"Darrell Gorter[MSFT]" said:
Hello,
This was deemed a security issue.
So this functionality was removed
Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

How can that be a SECURITY ISSUE?

It was a very usefull feature, removing it was just plain stupid.

That's part of Vista's new philosophy- "we shall protect you from
yourselves, even if you don't need protecting."

-Michael