downloading new Microsoft Update

Went to go do my ususal updates and I usually go through the "Help and
Support" on the Start menu. When I clicked on "Windows Update" I got a
message saying I couldn't access the site (never got that before but oh
well). I went to microsoft.com in the browser and accessed it there. When I
got to the site it stopped me and had me download the ActiveX control (with
the ActiveX info bar). I then decided to go back to Help and Support and see
if it made a difference. Sure enough it did and was able to gain access to
the site. I chose the "new Microsoft update" option and started following the
steps. After I clicked yes to the Install popup I got a page telling me to
install another ActiveX control from the info bar. Problem is there was no
info bar popping down this time.

I've went into the security settings to see if anything was out of wack but
there didn't seem to be anything wrong with the settings. Not sure what the
problem is.

Any suggestions

Thanks

PA Bear

How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822798

3a. Check Windowsupdate.log (%windir%\Windowsupdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/windows_update_codes.htm and/or go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support link in left
pane > Solve problems on your own.

4. Windows Update Checklist:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/updtcl.htm

5. Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

Archive of Windows Update newsgroup:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/microsoft.public.windowsupdate

I went over all the links you sent me but all the content deals with is
failed updates and how to troubleshoot them. I'm not downloading an update.
My ActiveX bar is not being activated properly (this one particular time). I
haven't even gotten to the update part of the process yet.

Jon Kennedy

Add Windows Update to your list of trusted Web sites:

In Internet Explorer, on the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
On the Security tab, click Trusted Sites, and then click Sites.
Under Add this Web site to the zone, type (or copy and paste) this URL:
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/
Click Add, and then click OK.

Do the same with the Microsoft Update URL:
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/

If no joy....

General:
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527/
Troubleshooters:
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsupdate/v6/troubleshoot.aspx?ln=en-us or
http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/troubleshoot.aspx?ln=en-us
Newsgroup (web)
http://www.microsoft.com/communitie...=microsoft.public.windowsupdate&lang=en&cr=US

Tried that...no dice

btw......

there's been a thread in this section thats been going on for months (61
posts to date) dealing with ActiveX not loading properly...read it..tried the
patch they suggested etc....you posted to it the other day...it sounds like
this is a bug in IE6 and MS is aware of it and are working on a fix. In my
situation, I'm not too worried about getting this probelm solved right away.
All it prevents me from doing is getting the Microsoft updates (ie. Office
etc). I can still ge the basic Windows updates. If MS is going to provide a
fix for this then I'm content to wait for them...also...IE7 is coming and so
messing around with 6 could be a waste of time...have you come to the same
conclusions?

Todd Vargo

Todd said:
Tried that...no dice

btw......

there's been a thread in this section thats been going on for months (61
posts to date) dealing with ActiveX not loading properly...read it..tried the
patch they suggested etc....you posted to it the other day...it sounds like
this is a bug in IE6 and MS is aware of it and are working on a fix. In my
situation, I'm not too worried about getting this probelm solved right away.
All it prevents me from doing is getting the Microsoft updates (ie. Office
etc). I can still ge the basic Windows updates. If MS is going to provide a
fix for this then I'm content to wait for them...also...IE7 is coming and so
messing around with 6 could be a waste of time...have you come to the same
conclusions?

Todd,

Don't kid yourself. Just because a newer version is released, there is no
guarantee that known problems will be fixed. I have a problem with
displaying offline content right now that was directly created by applying
updates and security patches (just because there were available and support
for Windows 98 is coming to a close) directly from the MS update site. If
the problem had been discovered immediately, I could have restored from a
recent backup and not lose too much.

Uninstalling all of the patches did not help. Reinstalling IE6 did not help.
Reverting back to previous IE version (5.5) did not help. Reinstalling IE5
from the original installation did not help. Reinstalling the OS and then
each version of IE again did not help. For some reason MS installers always
look for installed components and refuse to replace any newer version files
with older versions even when you select the "REPAIR" function on their
install/uninstallers.

I have run 3 different AV scanners and the gauntlet of suggested spambot
scanners as the MVP's frequently suggest. This machine was not, and is not,
infected by malware! Repair means to reinstall, not ignore files or
components that are newer versions. People should not need to get this
intimate with the MS installation software just to reinstall it.

It sure would be nice if MS designed their patches and security updates to
retain and identify all original files and registry entries they modify
and/or replace in a quarantined folder when applied. The update site also
needs fixed to not install multiple updates either (I suspect this caused my
problem). Leave up to the user to decide if the older files are no longer
needed. That would at least allow a user to return to the exact previous
state when things go wrong.