DOS and win xp

HeyBub

David said:
There is no excuse for stupidity.

There are many excuses: Congential brain malformation, neurological
disorders, drug or alcohol induced stupor, psychological pathologies, being
a Democrat.

I think you demonstrated "There is no excuse for ignorance."

AllenM

So what is your excuse for being unprofessional, inconsiderate and a total
as%&# to someone who is inexperienced seeking advice? that is what these
forums are for. To "help" and "assist" other who are less knowledgable and
experienced as yourself. Not too belittle them for their lack of knowledge.

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
There is no excuse for stupidity.

Bruce Chambers

lula said:
hi... I want to buy a notebook, doesn't matter if it's new or old. but I have
a program that is DOS based and I've heard many things about Win XP not
having a real DOS.

Yes, that's true. The WinNT family of 32-bit graphical operating
systems, of which WinXP is the latest generation, has never used,
included, or "ridden upon" MS-DOS. The Recovery Console's CLI (Command
Line Interface) is the closest you can come to the old "DOS mode."

I just want to know if I buy a computer with win xp, am I
going to be able to use that program or not????

How could we possibly know? You haven't even bothered to divulge the
name and version of this apparently top secret application. Have you
asked program's manufacturer? Common sense dictates that that would be
the first place to check for OS compatibility.

Is it better for me to buy a
computer with win 98 instead??

Again, we've no way of knowing. No one can help if you don't provide
at least a modicum of pertinent information.

Help us help you:

Otherwise, you might as well try here:

Psychic Friends Network
(800) 592-7827

I know 1 or 2 computers with win xp where
someone tried to install that program and it didn't work.

Then I'd have to conclude that you already have the answer to your
question.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

Bruce Chambers

Talahasee said:
Actually, it's a valid question.

No it isn't. We've no way of knowing whether or not a random, unnamed
application will work, or not. The OP needs to provide much more
information before the question becomes "answerable." It'll do the OP
absolutely no good to get the correct answer to the wrong question.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of
chains and slavery? .... I know not what course others may take, but as
for me, give me liberty, or give me death! -Patrick Henry

NoStop

hi... I want to buy a notebook, doesn't matter if it's new or old. but I
have a program that is DOS based and I've heard many things about Win XP
not having a real DOS. I just want to know if I buy a computer with win
xp, am I going to be able to use that program or not???? Is it better for
me to buy a computer with win 98 instead?? I know 1 or 2 computers with
win xp where someone tried to install that program and it didn't work.
don't know if it was because they are dumb or if it was actually the win
version that didn't allow them to do it.

suggestions??
There are a number of options you can look at should that specific program
not run under XP.

You can look at installing a DOS emulator, such as DOSBox ...

http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/news.php?show_news=1

You can look at using something like VMWare that will allow you to create
any number of virtual machines within XP and run different operating
systems within them ...

http://www.vmware.com/

The latter is a commercial product, but a very powerful tool.

HTH