Don't understand how to install changes at user site

T

Tony Girgenti

Hello.

Client has Access2002 and their current application is setup as TOOLS\OPTIONS\ADVANCED\FILE FORMAT=Access2000 with linked tables to another Access database.

I have Access2003. I make changes to the logic of the database using my Access2003 with TOOLS\OPTIONS\ADVANCED\FILE FORMAT=Access2000. When I go there to install my changes by renaming the old MDB to "OLD", copy in my changed MDB, relink the tables, it does not work.

It gives me a range of problems from hanging up when running the report to telling me that the database is corrupted.

How do imake my changes and bring it to a client and install it ?

Also, several workstations use this report and the Access database is on a network and it runs fine for everybody. Yet some of the workstations run it using an icon that has a target of "W:\WIP\CHFREPORTS.MDB" and another workstation has an icon that when i look at the properties, for the icon, there is no target. It also runs fine, but i don't understand how that icon was setup.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

J

Jeff Boyce

Tony

I believe your description holds the clue.

You have (at least one) a customer with Access 2002 (XP).

You have Access 2003.

Your customer's PC probably doesn't understand how to run the A'03 version (even though you are using A2K data format ... "data format").

After you make your changes in Access 2003, save a second copy, converting back to a previous (compatible) version.

Good luck!

Jeff Boyce
<Office/Access MVP>

Hello.

Client has Access2002 and their current application is setup as TOOLS\OPTIONS\ADVANCED\FILE FORMAT=Access2000 with linked tables to another Access database.

I have Access2003. I make changes to the logic of the database using my Access2003 with TOOLS\OPTIONS\ADVANCED\FILE FORMAT=Access2000. When I go there to install my changes by renaming the old MDB to "OLD", copy in my changed MDB, relink the tables, it does not work.

It gives me a range of problems from hanging up when running the report to telling me that the database is corrupted.

Also, several workstations use this report and the Access database is on a network and it runs fine for everybody. Yet some of the workstations run it using an icon that has a target of "W:\WIP\CHFREPORTS.MDB" and another workstation has an icon that when i look at the properties, for the icon, there is no target. It also runs fine, but i don't understand how that icon was setup.

Tony

T

Tony Girgenti

Hello Jeff.

How do i do this ? I tried FILE/SAVE AS.. and all it gives me is a Save as dialog box with a dropdown list of Form, Report, Data Access Page.

In the TOOLS/OPTIONS/ADVANCED tab, i have the Default file format as Access 2000. It only gives me two option in the dropdown, Access 2000 and Access 2002-2003.

Thanks,
Tony

Tony

I believe your description holds the clue.

You have (at least one) a customer with Access 2002 (XP).

You have Access 2003.

Your customer's PC probably doesn't understand how to run the A'03 version (even though you are using A2K data format ... "data format").

After you make your changes in Access 2003, save a second copy, converting back to a previous (compatible) version.

Good luck!

Jeff Boyce
<Office/Access MVP>

Hello.

Tony

D

Douglas J. Steele

Hello Jeff.

How do i do this ? I tried FILE/SAVE AS.. and all it gives me is a Save as
dialog box with a dropdown list of Form, Report, Data Access Page.

It's under Tools | Database Utilities

Ask a Question