don't have a good thread title. (sumproduct?)

redneck joe

trying to use this formula:

SUMPRODUCT(($L$22:$L$1166={"1svc"})*($M$22:$M$1166))

Column L contains both text and numerical data. Using excel help, near
as I can tell it cannot read the column with both types being contained
within.

here is as far as I can get with "help":

-Microsoft Excel cannot translate the text into the correct data type.
Make sure the formula or function is correct for the required operand
or argument, and that the cells that are referenced by the formula
contain valid values. For example, if cell A5 contains a number and
cell A6 contains the text "Not available", the formula =A5+A6 will
return the error #VALUE!.-

???

daddylonglegs

It looks like a viable formula to me - what result do you get?

The curly braces are superfluous here and I'd advise a different
syntax

=SUMPRODUCT(--($L$22:$L$1166="1svc"),$M$22:$M$1166)

daddylonglegs

Sorry, it is Saturday so I'm a bit slow today, but you really only nee
SUMIF for one criterion, i.e.

=SUMIF($L$22:$L$1166,"1svc",$M$22:$M$1166

redneck joe

gives me #value

I'll try yours in a bit and see what happens.

One thing forgot, the "1svc" is just one of many variable I will b
looking for (it was just my test) - how to string those in

Bob Phillips

SUMIF is more efficient if there is only one condition to test for.

If you still need multiple values, use

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(MATCH($L$22:$L$1166,{"1svc","2cdr"},0))),--$M$22:$M$
1166)

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"redneck joe" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

daddylonglegs

You could still use SUMIF....

=SUM(SUMIF($L$22:$L$1166,{"1svc","xyz"},$M$22:$M$1166))

Bob Phillips

Which means that you have text in a number field as I suggested. If you want
to ignore bad data, so be it.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"redneck joe" <[email protected]>

Ragdyer

Perhaps it's *mixed* data Bob, which might not necessarily make it *bad*.<g>

RD

Bob Phillips said:
Which means that you have text in a number field as I suggested. If you want
to ignore bad data, so be it.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"redneck joe" <[email protected]>

Bob Phillips

That may be so RD, but firstly the OP never stated this, so it makes me
think that this is not known, which means a potential error is being
overlooked. Secondly, it is summing based upon a condition, which
possibly/probably precludes the *mixed* data. There is a strong possibility
that there are either text lookie numbers there, or so much data that there
is text buried in there. Either way I think the OP should satisfy themselves
that it is okay to ignore that data.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

Ragdyer

I agree with what you're saying, and that's the *exact* reason that I prefer
the asterisk version of SumProduct over the double unary version.
The asterisk version *forbids* an inclusion of text by returning the #VALUE!
error, while *still* calculating numeric text.
The unary version bypasses text entries and allows calculations *excluding*
the POSSIBLY incorrect numeric and/or alpha text entry, therefore masking an
incorrect conclusion.