Does UBasic Work With Windows XP?

Kaimbridge

I am due for an upgrade (currently 200 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 2.1 GB HD!),
including from Windows 98 to XP.
One of my concerns is compatibility with UBasic, since it is
DOS based and supposedly XP doesn't handle MS-DOS programs too well.
Does anyone here with WinXP use--or attempted to use--UBasic and,
if so, does it work okay?

~Kaimbridge~

Ignacio Larrosa Cañestro

En el mensaje:[email protected],
Kaimbridge said:
I am due for an upgrade (currently 200 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 2.1 GB HD!),
including from Windows 98 to XP.
One of my concerns is compatibility with UBasic, since it is
DOS based and supposedly XP doesn't handle MS-DOS programs too well.
Does anyone here with WinXP use--or attempted to use--UBasic and,
if so, does it work okay?

It runs without problem in Windows XP. At least, use UBASIC frequently on
an XP system and I hasn't found any problem.

--
Best regards,

Ignacio Larrosa Cañestro
A Coruña (España)
(e-mail address removed)

C Rode

I am due for an upgrade (currently 200 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 2.1 GB HD!),
including from Windows 98 to XP.
One of my concerns is compatibility with UBasic, since it is
DOS based and supposedly XP doesn't handle MS-DOS programs too well.
Does anyone here with WinXP use--or attempted to use--UBasic and,
if so, does it work okay?

Well, TP7 has a typing lagg in XP...

So I might consider adding a second harddive (to the expandable computer)
and installing non-commerical DR-DOS on it or I might partion the existing
harddrive for DR-DOS. For instance the Recovery Tools CD mentions creating
"data partions"...

Kaimbridge

Ignacio Larrosa Cañestro said:
En el mensaje:[email protected],

It runs without problem in Windows XP. At least, use UBASIC
frequently on an XP system and I hasn't found any problem.

Just to clarify--given the other responses--do you use UBasic
*through* WinXP (i.e., while in WinXP, click on a WinXP
link/shortcut/icon to UBasic, it opens a MS-DOS pop-up program
window dedicated to UBasic)--like with Win98 or 95--or are the
files sitting in a WinXP folder, but you need a DOS formatted
floppy disk to run and use it (meaning you can't have a UBasic
program window running in the background, while using something
else--browser, etc.--via WinXP)?

Kaimbridge said:
Just to clarify--given the other responses--do you use UBasic
*through* WinXP (i.e., while in WinXP, click on a WinXP
link/shortcut/icon to UBasic, it opens a MS-DOS pop-up program
window dedicated to UBasic)--like with Win98 or 95--or are the
files sitting in a WinXP folder, but you need a DOS formatted
floppy disk to run and use it (meaning you can't have a UBasic
program window running in the background, while using something
else--browser, etc.--via WinXP)?

The first. I use it in a DOS windows, and I can do anything else while it
runs, of course.

--
Best regards,

Ignacio Larrosa Cañestro
A Coruña (España)
(e-mail address removed)

Augustus SFX van Dusen

I am due for an upgrade (currently 200 MHz, 64 MB RAM, 2.1 GB HD!),
including from Windows 98 to XP.
One of my concerns is compatibility with UBasic,

Must you use UBASIC? It is a very old piece software, that has been
long ago superseded by a number of freely available, open source tools.

Kaimbridge

Augustus SFX van Dusen said:
Must you use UBASIC? It is a very old piece software, that has been
long ago superseded by a number of freely available, open source tools.

Because it is the best traditional BASIC, capable of extraordinary math
precision! P=)

~Kaimbridge~

mensanator

Kaimbridge said:
Augustus SFX van Dusen <[email protected]> wrote in message tools.

Because it is the best traditional BASIC, capable of extraordinary math
precision! P=)

But isn't it limited to 2500 digit integers? More modern
languages like Python don't have such limitations. It's bad
enough that I have to be memory and cpu bound, I certainly
don't need the language adding it's own limitations.

Kaimbridge

But isn't it limited to 2500 digit integers? More modern
languages like Python don't have such limitations. It's bad
enough that I have to be memory and cpu bound, I certainly
don't need the language adding it's own limitations.

I just looked at a few Python examples, and that looks more like
a Visual Basic, C+, Java(Script) type programming language for
webpages and independent standalone programs--that's a whole
different animal!
I'm just talking about a "barebones", simple, old fashioned--e.g.,
Apple IIe or Commodore 64 type--BASIC, with number addressing,
etc., for mostly "workbench" activity and as a rudimentary platform
for formularies, etc., where the code is in "plain language", such
as in this example:

http://groups.google.ca/[email protected]

As for the "2500 digit" limitation, well... most BASICs have either
a 8-10 or 15-20 ("double precision") digit limit! P=)

~Kaimbridge~

mensanator

Kaimbridge said:
"(e-mail address removed)" <[email protected]> wrote in message

I just looked at a few Python examples, and that looks more like
a Visual Basic, C+, Java(Script) type programming language for
webpages and independent standalone programs--that's a whole
different animal!

But it doesn't have to that animal. You certainly have to expect a
certain level of complexity to do those things. I am not a programmer
and don't want to use anything that complicated either. I reccomend
Python because it is simple, easy and powerful, just the thing for
a weekend programmer who just wants to use the computer the way you
use a calculator.
I'm just talking about a "barebones", simple, old fashioned--e.g.,
Apple IIe or Commodore 64 type--BASIC, with number addressing,
etc.,

Simple doesn't have to be old fashioned. Anyone who can write Apple ][
code
can learn something like Python. I used to write Aplle ][ programs and
certainly don't miss them.
for mostly "workbench" activity and as a rudimentary platform
for formularies, etc., where the code is in "plain language", such
as in this example:
http://groups.google.ca/[email protected]

For workbench activities, you can use the Python IDE:

IDLE 1.0print 'generation [',k+1,'] :',
for i in range(5):
a = 2**(6*(i*9**k+(9**k-1)/2+1)-1)-1
print gmpy.numdigits(a),
print

That's about as simple as you can get. There's no overhead like
creating
projects that you have to do with Visual Basic, simply type it in and
run it.

The result is

generation [ 1 ] : 2 4 6 7 9
generation [ 2 ] : 9 25 42 58 74
generation [ 3 ] : 74 221 367 513 659
generation [ 4 ] : 659 1976 3293 4610 5926
generation [ 5 ] : 5926 17777 29627 41477 53328

The numbers printed are the number of digits in the answer. Taken to
generation 24, the numbers have 8 sextillion digits, far beyond what
can
be handled. It doesn't matter how extraordinary a language is, there's
always a problem that will be intractable.
As for the "2500 digit" limitation, well... most BASICs have either
a 8-10 or 15-20 ("double precision") digit limit! P=)

That's why I don't use them and why I can't use UBASIC. When unlimited
precision is _the_ most important feature, you have to pick a language
that supports it. I've tried Python, Perl, REXX, UBASIC, C, Java and
two
different versions of Scheme. And Python is the one I recommend.

Finally, as the subject implies, you are at risk of your programs
becoming
unusable if UBASIC ever stops being supported. It might not be a bad
idea
to start researching alternatives to UBASIC before it becomes a crisis.

?

=?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo

Kaimbridge said:
I'm just talking about a "barebones", simple, old fashioned--e.g.,
Apple IIe or Commodore 64 type--BASIC, with number addressing,
etc., for mostly "workbench" activity and as a rudimentary platform
for formularies, etc., where the code is in "plain language", such
as in this example:

You can try Blassic. It's as old fashion as possible, it's free, and can run
in all current Windows versions as well as in many unix flavours.

Kaimbridge

Ignacio Larrosa Cañestro said:
En el mensaje:[email protected],

The first. I use it in a DOS windows, and I can do anything else
while it runs, of course.

Yup, I made a copy of it and some of my created programs on a
floppy and tried it on my aunt's 'puter, which has WinXP-Pro, and
everything seemed to work satisfactorily, with only a couple of
minor discrepancies--you can't start a UBasic file directly (you
need to load them through the UBasic program); and with the file I
ran, there were "too many variables" (I just had to cut back on a
couple of arrays); also, possibly, it *may* run a little slower,
though that might have been just my imagination! P=)--but, at least,
it DOES work!!! P=)

~Kaimbridge~