Does FrontPage 2000 need MSDTC?

Stan Hilliard

I am having some problems in windows 98SE that someone in the Win98
newsgroup suggested might be caused by MSDTC.

I understand that msdtc.exe is the Microsoft Distributed Transaction
Coordinator, but I cannot understand descriptions of it that I have
seen.

I use Microsoft Personal Web Server and work with FP2k to design my
web on a stand-alone PC and then publish them to a server over the
Internet. I browse my local webs with IE6.

I am considering disabling MSDTC but I am wondering if FP2K utilizes
MSDTC for publishing?

As I understand it, FP does need inetinfo.exe, which is part of IIS.
Is that right?

Information will be appreciated.
Stan Hilliard

Stan Hilliard

What kind of problems are you having?

The problem is that the first time that I start IE after dial-up and
login to my Internet provider IE hangs as not responding. After I kill
IE, I can then start it again and it runs OK.

Through a series of trials, MSDTC is one to the programs that stops
responding when IE hangs.

There is a discussion about it at the newsgroup
microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion. It is too long to reproduce
here, but you can find it at:

microsoft.public.win98.gen_discussion
Oct 18 2004 4:00 pm
Subject: Conflict involving dial-up, IE, other processes

Stan Hilliard

Thomas A. Rowe

You don't need to have MSDTC to use PWS.

WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.