doctype choice?

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]

Your DOCTYPE statement is fine - using a different one won't help. It's the
HTML in your page that's invalid.

Tom J

Kathleen Anderson said:
Your DOCTYPE statement is fine - using a different one won't help.
It's the HTML in your page that's invalid.

After just trying for 2 days to validate a single page of my site that
is a simple table page with an "include" banner/drop down index, I've
reached the conclusion that there is no way to validate a page when FP
2003 is being used. Closing tags will be moved and names used that
don't validate, especially when inserting the "include". I did
validate the banner/drop down index, but I did it with another html
editor. How wrong am I?

Tom J

Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]

The banner page passes validation and you only have a couple of errors on
the page it's included in. It shouldn't be too hard to clean it up.

--
~ Kathleen Anderson
Microsoft MVP - FrontPage

p c

You must have cleaned-up. Thr only errot I get is:
mising: type="text/css"
from: <style>

...PC

Stefan B Rusynko

The main page and banner page has lots of real critical user created errors (not FP generated at all)
- Largest one is no form tag surrounding the form
- Duplicate meta tags
- Empty Title tag
- and missing closing </html> tag

Put either http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/banner3.htm or http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/newpage_blank.htm in the single page validator
at
http://www.doctor-html.com/RxHTML/cgi-bin/single.cgi

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

| The banner page passes validation and you only have a couple of errors on
| the page it's included in. It shouldn't be too hard to clean it up.
|
| --
| ~ Kathleen Anderson
| Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| Spider Web Woman Designs
| web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
|

| | > http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/newpage_blank.htm
| > This is the blank page I used to try to get it to validate.
| >
| > http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/banner3.htm
| > This is the include that is at the top of the blank page
| > Tom J
| >
| > message | >> Tom:
| >> Pages that include the "include" component can validate. What's the URL
| >> of the page you're trying to validate?
| >>
| >> --
| >> ~ Kathleen Anderson
| >> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| >> Spider Web Woman Designs
| >> web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

Tom J

What form? If I have a form, I don't know. I have a table inside
another table to give a picture frame look to the site.
The duplicate meta tags are really not duplicate. It take 3 different
kind to get different browsers to load a fresh page each time since
many pages in the site change often. Full online pages on the site
have title tag & meta description filled in. I added to missing
closing /html tag.

There are many errors on every page in the site. That's the reason I
am trying to see if it's possible to validate FP 2003 generated pages
that also have some design input. I have found that over half my
errors are FP generated.

I would not think the banner would need any more header info than it
already has since it's included within another page with every use. Am
I wrong?
Thanks,
Tom J

Stefan B Rusynko said:
The main page and banner page has lots of real critical user created
errors (not FP generated at all)
- Largest one is no form tag surrounding the form
- Duplicate meta tags
- Empty Title tag
- and missing closing </html> tag

Put either http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/banner3.htm or
http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/newpage_blank.htm in the single page
validator
at
http://www.doctor-html.com/RxHTML/cgi-bin/single.cgi

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

"Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message | The banner page passes validation and you only have a couple of
errors on
| the page it's included in. It shouldn't be too hard to clean it
up.

| --
| ~ Kathleen Anderson
| Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| Spider Web Woman Designs
| web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
|

| | > http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/newpage_blank.htm
| > This is the blank page I used to try to get it to validate.
| >
| > http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/banner3.htm
| > This is the include that is at the top of the blank page
| > Tom J
| >
| > "Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]" <[email protected]>
wrote in
| > message | >> Tom:
| >> Pages that include the "include" component can validate. What's
the URL
| >> of the page you're trying to validate?
| >>
| >> --
| >> ~ Kathleen Anderson
| >> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| >> Spider Web Woman Designs
| >> web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

How wrong

Tom J

I finally got it in the correct place so the whole page validates.
Now, the question is, do I want to tackle the whole site? :-(

Thomas A. Rowe

The forms, are you drop down menus in your top banner.

If you feel your current issue is a results of installing
a Service Pack or security update, please contact
Microsoft Product Support Services:
http://support.microsoft.com
If the problem can be shown to have been caused by a
security update, then there is usually no charge for the call.

Stefan B Rusynko said:
The main page and banner page has lots of real critical user created errors (not FP generated at
all)
- Largest one is no form tag surrounding the form
- Duplicate meta tags
- Empty Title tag
- and missing closing </html> tag

Put either http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/banner3.htm or
http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/newpage_blank.htm in the single page validator
at
http://www.doctor-html.com/RxHTML/cgi-bin/single.cgi

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

| The banner page passes validation and you only have a couple of errors on
| the page it's included in. It shouldn't be too hard to clean it up.
|
| --
| ~ Kathleen Anderson
| Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| Spider Web Woman Designs
| web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
|

| | > http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/newpage_blank.htm
| > This is the blank page I used to try to get it to validate.
| >
| > http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/banner3.htm
| > This is the include that is at the top of the blank page
| > Tom J
| >
| > message | >> Tom:
| >> Pages that include the "include" component can validate. What's the URL
| >> of the page you're trying to validate?
| >>
| >> --
| >> ~ Kathleen Anderson
| >> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| >> Spider Web Woman Designs
| >> web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

Tom J

Thanks for the explanation. It validates without the form tag, but I
would like to know how & where to insert it.
Thanks
Tom J
76 & too old to still be doing this!

Stefan B Rusynko said:
The main page and banner page has lots of real critical user
created errors (not FP generated at all)
- Largest one is no form tag surrounding the form
- Duplicate meta tags
GMT">
- Empty Title tag
- and missing closing </html> tag

Put either http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/banner3.htm or
http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/newpage_blank.htm in the single page
validator
at
http://www.doctor-html.com/RxHTML/cgi-bin/single.cgi

http://www.frontpagemvps.com/FrontPageNewsGroups/tabid/53/Default.aspx

"Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]" <[email protected]>
wrote in message | The banner page passes validation and you only have a couple of
errors on
| the page it's included in. It shouldn't be too hard to clean it
up.

| --
| ~ Kathleen Anderson
| Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| Spider Web Woman Designs
| web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/
|

| | > http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/newpage_blank.htm
| > This is the blank page I used to try to get it to validate.
| >
| > http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/banner3.htm
| > This is the include that is at the top of the blank page
| > Tom J
| >
| > "Kathleen Anderson [MVP - FrontPage]"
| > message | >> Tom:
| >> Pages that include the "include" component can validate.
What's the URL
| >> of the page you're trying to validate?
| >>
| >> --
| >> ~ Kathleen Anderson
| >> Microsoft MVP - FrontPage
| >> Spider Web Woman Designs
| >> web: http://www.spiderwebwoman.com/resources/

Thomas A. Rowe

<form>
<select size="1" name="D1" onchange="window.location.href=this.value;">
<option>National Contacts</option>
<option value="http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/message_sam_ftc.htm">Club President</option>
<option value="http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/exec_sec.htm">Exec. Secretary</option>
<option value="http://www.fleetwoodclub.org/message_fwc.htm">Fleetwood Corp.</option>