Do I need the Intel INF Utility for SATA?

John Smith

I am curious if I need to install the Intel INF file Utility on my Windows XP Pro (Build
2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)? Currently running fine but I'm not using any
USB2.0 devices or SATA HDs yet.

My P4(800) Springdale Chipset system is up-to-date with all the Windows XP Service Packs,
Driver Updates and Critical Updates found at the Windows Update page. My SATA and USB 2.0
controllers show up in Device Manager without problems. However, my mainboard manufacturer's
website has an Intel INF Utility posted for my board (a DFI PS83-BL using the latest BIOS)
and I've pasted this Utility's Readme file description below.

Also, my mainboard BIOS offers an "enhanced" mode option for enabling SATA which is supposed
to allow for "both" SATA Channels plus 4 PATA devices (2 masters and 2 slaves) from the
regular IDE controller. Furthermore, you can also choose to flip the SATA devices from 0 to
1 and 1 to 0.

I've emailed DFI many months ago several times about this but something must be getting lost
in translation, as they have never responded.

I searched newsgroups for this topic with Google which yield both "yes" and "maybe" answers.

Also some postings seem to warn about "switching from PATA to SATA on existing WinXP
installations." I get the feeling that something really bad will happen if I did that, so
I'm concerned because I need to upgrade to larger HDs. I would like to get a pair of SATA
160 Gb units. I plan to clone my existing PATA HDs using DriveImage7 and then switch to the
SATA connectors (which will also free up the standard onboard IDE controller for my DVD,
Burner and Zip drives).

Currently running with 2 - PATA 60 Gb Maxtors, each set as a master from the motherboard's
standard IDE controller (only WinXP Pro ... no other operating systems):

HD #1 - C and D (C Drive Primary Booting with D as a logical, both NTFS);
HD #2 - E and F (both logicals for data files and image backups, both NTFS)

Is this a bad thing to try and do I need the Intel INF file Utility installed prior to doing
this?

BTW, I thought WinXP (with the latest Service Packs) already supported SATA, USB2.0, etc
hardware? Is there a way under Device Manager, etc where I can check to see if my drivers,
etc could benefit from running the Intel INF Utility listed below:

* Product: Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility
* Release: Production Version
* Version: 5.00.1012
* Target Chipset#: Intel(R) 82865G/PE/P, 82875P
* Date: March 12, 2003
* 1. OVERVIEW
The Intel(R) Chipset Software Installation Utility installs
to the target system the Windows* INF files that outline to
the operating system how the Intel(R) chipset components will
be configured. This is needed for the proper functioning of
the following features:

- Core PCI and ISAPNP Services
- AGP Support
- IDE/ATA33/ATA66/ATA100 Storage Support
- USB Support
- Identification of Intel(R) chipset components in
the Device Manager

Any help or thoughts would be greatly, greatly appreciated, Thanks .... JS

David Hollway [MVP]

[crossposting trimmed]

John Smith said:
I am curious if I need to install the Intel INF file Utility on my Windows XP Pro (Build
2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 : Service Pack 1)? Currently running fine but I'm not using any
USB2.0 devices or SATA HDs yet.

Hi John,

You must install the .INF update on any system where the chipset post-dates
the OS. In other words, as the Intel 865/875 family chipsets were released
after Windows XP, you must install it in order to ensure that all chipset
devices are correctly utilised.
My P4(800) Springdale Chipset system is up-to-date with all the Windows XP Service Packs,
Driver Updates and Critical Updates found at the Windows Update page. My SATA and USB 2.0
controllers show up in Device Manager without problems. However, my mainboard manufacturer's
website has an Intel INF Utility posted for my board (a DFI PS83-BL using the latest BIOS)
and I've pasted this Utility's Readme file description below.

The system will appear to work fine without having installed the Intel
Chipset Update; however, not all the components of the chipset will be using
the optimal drivers and performance features. The chipset update isn't a
driver, it's just a collection of .INF hardware definition files that define
for Windows how it should handle the chipset devices. If you attempt to
install the update on a system that doesn't need it, the setup will exit
cleanly, and no harm will be done.
Also, my mainboard BIOS offers an "enhanced" mode option for enabling SATA which is supposed
to allow for "both" SATA Channels plus 4 PATA devices (2 masters and 2 slaves) from the
regular IDE controller. Furthermore, you can also choose to flip the SATA devices from 0 to
1 and 1 to 0.
I've emailed DFI many months ago several times about this but something must be getting lost
in translation, as they have never responded.
I searched newsgroups for this topic with Google which yield both "yes"
and "maybe" answers.

Legacy OSes (mainly Windows ME and earlier) can only boot from IDE
controllers on IRQs 14 or 15. For these OSes, you should therefore use the
"legacy" or "compatibility" mode of your BIOS, which will enable any 4 out
of the 6 (2 SATA + 4 PATA) available ATA ports.
For Windows 2000 and onwards you can use the "enhanced" mode, and use all 6
ports concurrently.
Also some postings seem to warn about "switching from PATA to SATA on existing WinXP
installations." I get the feeling that something really bad will happen if I did that, so
I'm concerned because I need to upgrade to larger HDs. I would like to get a pair of SATA
160 Gb units. I plan to clone my existing PATA HDs using DriveImage7 and then switch to the
SATA connectors (which will also free up the standard onboard IDE controller for my DVD,
Burner and Zip drives).

I've just done exactly that on my Intel D865PERL motherboard, switching from
a pair of Western Digital / IBM 120GB ATA/100 drives to a 160GB IBM SATA
drive & a 120GB Seagate drive. I used Ghost to clone the drives; it went
absolutely flawlessly:
1) Switched off XP,
2) switched the BIOS to Legacy mode, so that Ghost (under DOS) would see the
2 SATA drives and the 2 HDDs on the Primary IDE channel,
3) Booted Ghost from a USB pendrive
4) One by one, cloned the PATA drives to their SATA equivalents,
5) powered off, removed the PATA drives,
6) changed the BIOS back to "Enhanced" ATA mode, and rebooted.
7) System is now working perfectly on SATA drives, no reconfiguration
needed.

I hope this helps..

noone