Do I need another full license of Vista Ultimate?

Mark Conrad

Here is what I am trying to do.

I have two different PCs.

I bought one "full" retail version of Vista Ultimate, not the upgrade,
rather the full version for roughly $300, as I recall.

Installed that full version into one of the PCs, fine, everything works
to my satisfaction.

The remaining PC had Windows XP Pro in it.

Using the _same_ one license of Vista Ultimate, it gave me the choice
to upgrade the XP Pro to Vista, which I did, fine, everything works,
Microsoft allowed me to "activate" without question.

Why? Isn't that the same copy of Vista on two different PCs?

Will I have problems in the future with upgrades to the PCs?

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any light you can throw on this subject, obviously I do not
understand what might happen here.

Mark-

Carey Frisch [MVP]

The Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) file will eventually
flag one of your PC's as "non-genuine". Its only a matter of time.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

:

Here is what I am trying to do.

I have two different PCs.

I bought one "full" retail version of Vista Ultimate, not the upgrade,
rather the full version for roughly $300, as I recall.

Installed that full version into one of the PCs, fine, everything works
to my satisfaction.

The remaining PC had Windows XP Pro in it.

Using the _same_ one license of Vista Ultimate, it gave me the choice
to upgrade the XP Pro to Vista, which I did, fine, everything works,
Microsoft allowed me to "activate" without question.

Why? Isn't that the same copy of Vista on two different PCs?

Will I have problems in the future with upgrades to the PCs?

What am I missing here?

Thanks for any light you can throw on this subject, obviously I do not
understand what might happen here.

Mark-

Bruce Chambers

Mark said:
Here is what I am trying to do.

I have two different PCs.

I bought one "full" retail version of Vista Ultimate, not the upgrade,
rather the full version for roughly $300, as I recall.

Installed that full version into one of the PCs, fine, everything works
to my satisfaction.

The remaining PC had Windows XP Pro in it.

Using the _same_ one license of Vista Ultimate, it gave me the choice
to upgrade the XP Pro to Vista, which I did, fine, everything works,
Microsoft allowed me to "activate" without question.

Why? Isn't that the same copy of Vista on two different PCs?

Yes, it is using the same license on two PCs simultaneously, in
violation of the EULA. The "why" is that Windows Product Activation
(WPA) isn't a perfect anti-piracy method. After approximately 120 days,
Microsoft "drops" the record of any specific Product Key's activation.
They do this for, I believe, two reasons: first of all, the database
would grow to an enormous size, taking up ever increasing amounts for
storage capacity, and eventually becoming unmanageable, economically;
secondly, Microsoft does recognize that people will sometimes have to
reinstall the OS, and tried to ease the process by making the WPA as
"unburdensome" as practical, consistent with protecting their interests.

So, it would be possible for someone to install and activate a license,
wait 121 days, and then reuse that license. Microsoft is, despite the
appearance presented by WPA and the "Windows Genuine Advantage" (WGA)
programs, in reality, relying heavily (too heavily, in my opinion) upon
the basic integrity of its customers to prevent piracy. Microsoft is
hoping that people, once made aware of the licensing terms, will comply.
I think they're being overly optimistic, myself.

Will I have problems in the future with upgrades to the PCs?

As Carey said, eventually, both machines will connect to Windows Update
within a close enough time frame, and the WGA mechanism will flag one of
them as "non-Genuine." (At least, that's how it is supposed to work.)

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Mark Conrad

Why? Isn't that the same copy of Vista on two different PCs?

Yes, it is using the same license on two PCs simultaneously, in
violation of the EULA.[/QUOTE]

Thanks Bruce... (and Carey)

At the time I made the 2nd installation, I was not aware that it was not
legal, because I thought that Microsoft would not allow something like
that to happen unless it was legal.

Will buy another license to install in the 2nd PC, thanks again for
alerting me to what is going on here.

Mark-

Bruce Chambers

Mark said:
Thanks Bruce... (and Carey)

You're welcome.

At the time I made the 2nd installation, I was not aware that it was not
legal, because I thought that Microsoft would not allow something like
that to happen unless it was legal.

Yes, the WPA program is intended to stop, or at least drastically
reduce, such accidental violations, but, like most technical solutions
aimed at what is really a human behavioral issue, it isn't at all perfect.

Will buy another license to install in the 2nd PC, thanks again for
alerting me to what is going on here.

You can save some money by purchasing an Upgrade license, as you
already have a qualifying older OS for the 2nd computer.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"I was not aware that..."
This is often called "casual copying" or "casual piracy" because the
person doing so usually has no idea that it is against the agreement.
Most of Microsoft's anti piracy measures are intended to stop just
this type.

Depending on the circumstances of installation, time between
installations etc, these are usually caught at activation.
As in your case, most do the right thing once they discover the error.

The determined thieves, on the other hand, do not worry about piracy
and take measures to keep their illegitimate goods which is one reason
the determined thieves often get away with it.
But then, that is the nature of thieves.

R. C. White

Hi, Mark.

I've been meaning to look up the details on this because I want to use it
myself...

There is (or at least, there was) an option to purchase 2 additional
licenses for Windows Ultimate at a reduced price. The "family pack", or
some such title, was to let a family buy a single Vista package with two
additional product keys, so that they could use the single DVD-ROM to
install Vista on 3 separate computers. I bought a retail Vista Ultimate x64
and installed it on my grandson's computer; now his parents would like the
additional licenses so they can install it on their computers, too.

Maybe Carey or Bruce or Jupiter knows the URL so that you (and I) can find
the details for this. I've looked for it recently and not found it. Maybe
the offer expired?

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX

Mark Conrad said:
Yes, it is using the same license on two PCs simultaneously, in
violation of the EULA.

Thanks Bruce... (and Carey)

At the time I made the 2nd installation, I was not aware that it was not
legal, because I thought that Microsoft would not allow something like
that to happen unless it was legal.

Will buy another license to install in the 2nd PC, thanks again for
alerting me to what is going on here.

Mark-[/QUOTE]

R. C. White

Hello, again...

I found it - but it's not as good a deal as I remembered. :>(

It's the "Windows Vista Additional License Pack" and it's only about a $40
discount from full price.
"Windows Vista Ultimate Full $359.00"
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/addlicense/howto.mspxStill, it might save you a few bucks.RC--R. C. White, CPASan Marcos, (e-mail address removed) Windows MVP(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)"R. C. White" <[email protected]> wrote in messageHi, Mark.>> I've been meaning to look up the details on this because I want to use itmyself...>> There is (or at least, there was) an option to purchase 2 additionallicenses for Windows Ultimate at a reduced price. The "family pack", orsome such title, was to let a family buy a single Vista package with twoadditional product keys, so that they could use the single DVD-ROM toinstall Vista on 3 separate computers. I bought a retail Vista Ultimate x64and installed it on my grandson's computer; now his parents would like theadditional licenses so they can install it on their computers, too.>> Maybe Carey or Bruce or Jupiter knows the URL so that you (and I) can findthe details for this. I've looked for it recently and not found it. Maybethe offer expired?>> RC>> "Mark Conrad" <[email protected]> wrote in messageIn article <#[email protected]>,>> Bruce Chambers <[email protected]> wrote:>>>>> > Why? Isn't that the same copy of Vista on two different PCs?>>>>>> Yes, it is using the same license on two PCs simultaneously, in>>> violation of the EULA.>>>> Thanks Bruce... (and Carey)>>>> At the time I made the 2nd installation, I was not aware that it was not>> legal, because I thought that Microsoft would not allow something like>> that to happen unless it was legal.>>>> Will buy another license to install in the 2nd PC, thanks again for>> alerting me to what is going on here.>>>> Mark-

Mike Hall - MVP

The family pack offered two Home Premiums with the purchase of one full
Ultimate for just $50 each but only in the US and Canada.. the offer was
pulled at 23:59, June 30th, 2007..

R. C. White said:
[...]

MS MVP Windows Shell/User
http://msmvps.com/blogs/mikehall/

R. C. White

Thanks, Mike - and Dean.

Yeah, that's the one I was thinking of. Just $50 for each license, but for
Home Premium, not more Ultimates. Not the $359 per Ultimate that I found
today.

RC
--

R. C. White said:
Hi, Mark.

I've been meaning to look up the details on this because I want to use it
myself...

There is (or at least, there was) an option to purchase 2 additional
licenses for Windows Ultimate at a reduced price. The "family pack", or
some such title, was to let a family buy a single Vista package with two
additional product keys, so that they could use the single DVD-ROM to
install Vista on 3 separate computers.

I would be very interested in the family pack option also.

Presently, I use Vista Ultimate on a Mac.

Fairly soon I will need to buy several more licenses for Vista.

Prefer the full licenses instead of the upgrades, which gets a bit
costly for me.

Mark-

R. C. White

Hi, Mark.

As Mike and Dean pointed out, we're too late to get the Family Pack. And
the discounts on the "Windows Vista Additional License Pack" are not as
impressive as I expected. :>(

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

R. C. White

Hi, Mark.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/addlicense/howto.mspx

This is the page I found while looking for the now-expired family pack.

You'll have to read the limitations. Basically, it just gets you the
additional license to use with the disks you already have. The Ultimate
prices are:

Windows Vista Ultimate Full $359.00

Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade $233.00

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

Mark Conrad

R. C. White said:
Hi, Mark.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/addlicense
/howto.mspx

This is the page I found while looking for the now-expired family pack.

You'll have to read the limitations. Basically, it just gets you the
additional license to use with the disks you already have. The Ultimate
prices are:

Windows Vista Ultimate Full $359.00

Windows Vista Ultimate Upgrade $233.00

RC
--
R. C. White, CPA
San Marcos, TX
(e-mail address removed)
Microsoft Windows MVP
(Running Windows Live Mail beta in Vista Ultimate x64)

Thanks, that seems like a good way to save $40.

Mark-

Mark Conrad

John Barnes said:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Vista-Ultimate-VERSION/dp/B000HCTYTE/r
ef=pd_bbs_sr_1/104-9157657-2032723?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1188996055&sr=8-1

Wow! - that Amazon website has even lower prices, from disgruntled Vista
users that are selling their Vista on Amazon.

Do not know what the hassles would be from actually trying to use one of
those full Vista Ultimate licenses as a 2nd owner, but might be worth
looking into.

Thanks,

Mark-

John Barnes

Personally I would stick with the one sold by Amazon, not disgruntled users,
though I don't see any listed. I would guess that EBay would be the place
to find those.
Those new ones on Amazon merchants, from 'just launched' vendors on Amazon
would make me nervous, but $90 less than Amazon sure is tempting especially
with Amazon Shopping guarantee.

Mark

Let me provide the voice of experience on purchasing major software
second-hand:

Works great and it is cheap! (In my case, it worked for about two years.)
1. Sometimes the first owner simply wants to recoup some of their money
and keeps the original installed on their computer and a backup disc sitting
on the sidelines. (That 120-day thing mentioned earlier allows both to
operate... for a while.) When the two of you finally hit close enough on
updates (which is going to happen if you have updates on automatic), both
computers are tagged as "non-genuine." You can call Microsoft all you
want... all you will get is, "Contact the vendor where you made your
purchase." They are not responsible. Of course, you cannot contact the
vendor (it was ebay or amazon or...) and you have one of two choices:
a. Purchase a valid product, again.
(The first one should have been.)
b. Have a product that will no longer activate or update.
(Hope you never have to re-install.)

Unfortunately, you WILL have to re-install at some point. And until then,
as far as MS is concerned, you're a thief (casual or otherwise.)

2. I've also been burned from an "Authorized Dealer" on Ebay that sold me
a copy of MS Office Pro 2003 (holographic disc, coa, etc.), but gave me a
Volume License. Again, worked great for about one year, then it was "banned"
by MS. Turns out the COA was fake. The disc was real (second-hand.) The
license was real, but not authorized for sale. Eventually, he sold too many.

Now, I pay the price (for upgrades) and get discs from people I can return
to and hold responsible. In the end, it costs less.