DNS suffix for this connection:

altaf76

Hi

Is there a way to enter the name of "DNS suffix for this connection:"
using a script and also enable the checkbox for "Register this
connection's addresses in DNS" and "Use this connection's DNS suffix
in DNS registration"

I will be rolling this script via a tool "PSEXEC" which have the ip
address of remote PC and associated creditionals.

Thanks

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Hi

Is there a way to enter the name of "DNS suffix for this connection:"
using a script and also enable the checkbox for "Register this
connection's addresses in DNS" and "Use this connection's DNS suffix
in DNS registration"

I will be rolling this script via a tool "PSEXEC" which have the ip
address of remote PC and associated creditionals.

Thanks

If the clients are AD members, you could set the Primary DNS Suffix, which
essentially will use that name as the machine's connection suffix, by using
a GPO. You'll find that in:

Computer Configuration

-Administrative Templates

-Network

-DNS Client

-DNS Suffix search list

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...

Herb Martin

Hi

Is there a way to enter the name of "DNS suffix for this connection:"
using a script and also enable the checkbox for "Register this
connection's addresses in DNS" and "Use this connection's DNS suffix
in DNS registration"

I will be rolling this script via a tool "PSEXEC" which have the ip
address of remote PC and associated creditionals.

(Some of) This can be done with NetSH -- start by dumping the
interface IP context and take a look at what is available.

altaf76

In

[...]

Sorry, i forgot to mention that there is no AD infrastructure, all the
clients log on to NDS for file and print. So far I have been able to
make IP Setting all set to DHCP by issuing the NETSH command via
PSEXEC. This is a success, I just need to enter the Name of "DNS
suffix for this connection:"
using a script / command and also enable the checkbox for "Register
this
connection's addresses in DNS" and "Use this connection's DNS suffix
in DNS registration"

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
Sorry, i forgot to mention that there is no AD infrastructure, all the
clients log on to NDS for file and print. So far I have been able to
make IP Setting all set to DHCP by issuing the NETSH command via
PSEXEC. This is a success, I just need to enter the Name of "DNS
suffix for this connection:"
using a script / command and also enable the checkbox for "Register
this
connection's addresses in DNS" and "Use this connection's DNS suffix
in DNS registration"

In that case, try what Herb suggested. Othewise you can create a batch file
using a .reg file that will run on each client to populate the entries. You
can look at:

The key is (or should be) located in
HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\

You can do this either through vbscript, reg import or simply uisng reg.exe
in a batch file.

Or try a batch or VBS file such as the onse below (written by and originally
posted by Deji):

Originally posting: