dll problem on Remoting app

We have an application which can both run as Local and with remoting, this
app use an external dll (let us call it exapp.dll) and everything is ok when
the app runs Local (not remoting) but in remoting mode I can declare an exapp
object but whe I tried to call method exapp.mymethod() an
NullReferenceException is thrown.
Any clues?
Thank's

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hello Ferunic,

Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
From your description, you're creating an .net class instance remotely and
when try accessing one of its method you encountred NullReferenceException
,yes?

Based on the error message, the problem seems due to the object instance
not created correctly. I'm wondering what's your actual remoting scenario,
are you creating remote object through cross process remoting(through
tcp/http channel....) or just creating remote object in other appDomain
within same process? If convenient, I'd suggest you provide some further
descrpition or code snippet on this.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?RmVybmFuZG8gTW9yZW5v?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: dll problem on Remoting app
| Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:08:02 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
|
| Hi,
| We have an application which can both run as Local and with remoting,
this
| app use an external dll (let us call it exapp.dll) and everything is ok
when
| the app runs Local (not remoting) but in remoting mode I can declare an
exapp
| object but whe I tried to call method exapp.mymethod() an
| NullReferenceException is thrown.
| Any clues?
| Thank's

Hi, and Thank's for your help.
I will try to explain me.
We have a Windows Application solution (MyApp from now) with many class
libraries and one of them libraries reference to an external dll (PBdll)
(developed on PowerBuilder) running this application as a Local application
works fine, we also have a Windows Service App with all the same libraries
(including the one who use PBDll).
Finally in our config file for MyApp we have an option to decide if app will
be Local or Remoting, if remoting the application creates objects through
tcp/http channel)

Everything works fine here but the methods on PBdll class (not the object
itself, It's create without error I guess)
I don't know if is more clear for you now...
Which code do you think could help you to understand more??

Anyway properties for the PBdll reference:
Copy Local true
Culture 0
Description A description
Identity {98989898...}\1.0\0\tlbimp
Path C:\VSS\Work\Source\Varsling\obj\Interop.net_fravsjekk.dll
Runtime Version
Strong Name true
Type ActiveX
Version 1.0

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response ferunic,

So I've got the further background of your application. I assume that when
the object is created as remote object (hosting application), it is created
as SAO(server activated ..), and the consumer app use Activator.GetObject
to retrieve that proxy reference, yes?

As for SAO, when we use GetObject or the class constructor to create the
object, the remote object is not actually created or referenced, in other
word, the client consumer has not communicated with the hosting server
object yet. The communiation to the remoting server won't happen until the
first time we call a remote method of the remote object(through client
proxy...). So you can check if the exception occurs everytime your client
application try invoking a remote method on a remote object's proxy.....
If so, we need to recheck the remote object's registering and client app's
configuration.....

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?RmVybmFuZG8gTW9yZW5v?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: dll problem on Remoting app
| Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 01:26:01 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
|
| Hi, and Thank's for your help.
| I will try to explain me.
| We have a Windows Application solution (MyApp from now) with many class
| libraries and one of them libraries reference to an external dll (PBdll)
| (developed on PowerBuilder) running this application as a Local
application
| works fine, we also have a Windows Service App with all the same
libraries
| (including the one who use PBDll).
| Finally in our config file for MyApp we have an option to decide if app
will
| be Local or Remoting, if remoting the application creates objects through
| tcp/http channel)
|
| Everything works fine here but the methods on PBdll class (not the object
| itself, It's create without error I guess)
| I don't know if is more clear for you now...
| Which code do you think could help you to understand more??
|

| Anyway properties for the PBdll reference:
| Copy Local true
| Culture 0
| Description A description
| Identity {98989898...}\1.0\0\tlbimp
| Path C:\VSS\Work\Source\Varsling\obj\Interop.net_fravsjekk.dll
| Runtime Version
| Strong Name true
| Type ActiveX
| Version 1.0
|

| "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hello Ferunic,
| >
| > Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
| > From your description, you're creating an .net class instance remotely
and
| > when try accessing one of its method you encountred
NullReferenceException
| > ,yes?
| >
| > Based on the error message, the problem seems due to the object
instance
| > not created correctly. I'm wondering what's your actual remoting
scenario,
| > are you creating remote object through cross process remoting(through
| > tcp/http channel....) or just creating remote object in other appDomain
| > within same process? If convenient, I'd suggest you provide some
further
| > descrpition or code snippet on this.
| >
| > Regards,
| >
| > Steven Cheng
| > Microsoft Online Support

| > rights.)
| >

| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?RmVybmFuZG8gTW9yZW5v?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: dll problem on Remoting app
| > | Date: Wed, 7 Dec 2005 12:08:02 -0800
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
| > |
| > | Hi,
| > | We have an application which can both run as Local and with remoting,
| > this
| > | app use an external dll (let us call it exapp.dll) and everything is
ok
| > when
| > | the app runs Local (not remoting) but in remoting mode I can declare
an
| > exapp
| > | object but whe I tried to call method exapp.mymethod() an
| > | NullReferenceException is thrown.
| > | Any clues?
| > | Thank's
| > |
| > |
| > |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Ferunic,

Any progress on this? If there're anything else we can help ,please feel
free to post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 05:11:41 GMT
| Subject: RE: dll problem on Remoting app
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
|
| Thanks for your response ferunic,
|
| So I've got the further background of your application. I assume that
when
| the object is created as remote object (hosting application), it is
created
| as SAO(server activated ..), and the consumer app use
Activator.GetObject
| to retrieve that proxy reference, yes?
|
| As for SAO, when we use GetObject or the class constructor to create the
| object, the remote object is not actually created or referenced, in other
| word, the client consumer has not communicated with the hosting server
| object yet. The communiation to the remoting server won't happen until
the
| first time we call a remote method of the remote object(through client
| proxy...). So you can check if the exception occurs everytime your
client
| application try invoking a remote method on a remote object's proxy.....

| If so, we need to recheck the remote object's registering and client
app's
| configuration.....
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?RmVybmFuZG8gTW9yZW5v?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: dll problem on Remoting app
| | Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 01:26:01 -0800
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
| |
| | Hi, and Thank's for your help.
| | I will try to explain me.
| | We have a Windows Application solution (MyApp from now) with many class
| | libraries and one of them libraries reference to an external dll
(PBdll)
| | (developed on PowerBuilder) running this application as a Local
| application
| | works fine, we also have a Windows Service App with all the same
| libraries
| | (including the one who use PBDll).
| | Finally in our config file for MyApp we have an option to decide if app
| will
| | be Local or Remoting, if remoting the application creates objects
through
| | tcp/http channel)
| |
| | Everything works fine here but the methods on PBdll class (not the
object
| | itself, It's create without error I guess)
| | I don't know if is more clear for you now...
| | Which code do you think could help you to understand more??
| |
| |
| | Anyway properties for the PBdll reference:
| | Copy Local true
| | Culture 0
| | Description A description
| | Identity {98989898...}\1.0\0\tlbimp
| | Path C:\VSS\Work\Source\Varsling\obj\Interop.net_fravsjekk.dll
| | Runtime Version
| | Strong Name true
| | Type ActiveX
| | Version 1.0
| |
| |
| |
| | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
| |
| | > Hello Ferunic,
| | >
| | > Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
| | > From your description, you're creating an .net class instance
remotely
| and
| | > when try accessing one of its method you encountred
| NullReferenceException
| | > ,yes?
| | >
| | > Based on the error message, the problem seems due to the object
| instance
| | > not created correctly. I'm wondering what's your actual remoting
| scenario,
| | > are you creating remote object through cross process remoting(through
| | > tcp/http channel....) or just creating remote object in other
appDomain
| | > within same process? If convenient, I'd suggest you provide some
| further
| | > descrpition or code snippet on this.
| | >
| | > Regards,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.)
| | >

| | > --------------------
| | > |
| | > this
| ok
| | > when
| an
| | > exapp
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| |

Hi Steven.
first at all thanks for your time :)
I'm it took so long but I was trying to find out what was wrong and it takes
a litle bit time to test everything.
My status is as follows:
We find out at when we register a PB.dll version 1.0 and uses this in our
app it fails.
When we register a PB.dll version 1.1 and uses this in our app it fails.
When we register a PB.dll version 1.0 and uses this in our app and then we
copy over the file the 1.1 Version It works.
When we register a PB.dll version 1.1 and uses this in our app and then we
copy over the file the 1.0 Version It fails.

Any clue??
I'm very lost here.

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Ferunic,

Any progress on this? If there're anything else we can help ,please feel
free to post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)
--------------------
| From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng[MSFT])
| Date: Fri, 09 Dec 2005 05:11:41 GMT
| Subject: RE: dll problem on Remoting app
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
|
| Thanks for your response ferunic,
|
| So I've got the further background of your application. I assume that
when
| the object is created as remote object (hosting application), it is
created
| as SAO(server activated ..), and the consumer app use
Activator.GetObject
| to retrieve that proxy reference, yes?
|
| As for SAO, when we use GetObject or the class constructor to create the
| object, the remote object is not actually created or referenced, in other
| word, the client consumer has not communicated with the hosting server
| object yet. The communiation to the remoting server won't happen until
the
| first time we call a remote method of the remote object(through client
| proxy...). So you can check if the exception occurs everytime your
client
| application try invoking a remote method on a remote object's proxy.....

| If so, we need to recheck the remote object's registering and client
app's
| configuration.....
|
| Thanks,
|
| Steven Cheng
| Microsoft Online Support

| rights.)
|

| --------------------
| | From: =?Utf-8?B?RmVybmFuZG8gTW9yZW5v?= <[email protected]>
| | Subject: RE: dll problem on Remoting app
| | Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 01:26:01 -0800
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework
| |
| | Hi, and Thank's for your help.
| | I will try to explain me.
| | We have a Windows Application solution (MyApp from now) with many class
| | libraries and one of them libraries reference to an external dll
(PBdll)
| | (developed on PowerBuilder) running this application as a Local
| application
| | works fine, we also have a Windows Service App with all the same
| libraries
| | (including the one who use PBDll).
| | Finally in our config file for MyApp we have an option to decide if app
| will
| | be Local or Remoting, if remoting the application creates objects
through
| | tcp/http channel)
| |
| | Everything works fine here but the methods on PBdll class (not the
object
| | itself, It's create without error I guess)
| | I don't know if is more clear for you now...
| | Which code do you think could help you to understand more??
| |
| |
| | Anyway properties for the PBdll reference:
| | Copy Local true
| | Culture 0
| | Description A description
| | Identity {98989898...}\1.0\0\tlbimp
| | Path C:\VSS\Work\Source\Varsling\obj\Interop.net_fravsjekk.dll
| | Runtime Version
| | Strong Name true
| | Type ActiveX
| | Version 1.0
| |
| |
| |
| | "Steven Cheng[MSFT]" wrote:
| |
| | > Hello Ferunic,
| | >
| | > Welcome to MSDN newsgroup.
| | > From your description, you're creating an .net class instance
remotely
| and
| | > when try accessing one of its method you encountred
| NullReferenceException
| | > ,yes?
| | >
| | > Based on the error message, the problem seems due to the object
| instance
| | > not created correctly. I'm wondering what's your actual remoting
| scenario,
| | > are you creating remote object through cross process remoting(through
| | > tcp/http channel....) or just creating remote object in other
appDomain
| | > within same process? If convenient, I'd suggest you provide some
| further
| | > descrpition or code snippet on this.
| | >
| | > Regards,
| | >
| | > Steven Cheng
| | > Microsoft Online Support
| | >
| | > Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| | > (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| | > rights.)
| | >

| | > --------------------
| | > |
| | > this
| ok
| | > when
| an
| | > exapp
| | > |
| | > |
| | > |

| |

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Ferunic,

Seems the symptom is a bit complex according to the test condition you
mentioned. I think we should first make sure the shared code which will be
used as remoting objects contains only managed code, no COM interop code...
If there is COM interop code, we need to wrapper them with .net code and
make those .net code remotable...
Also, you can use some simple remotable objects and create them (like the
PBdll objects) in your application to see whether you can call them
correctly(both locally or remotely...). If that works correctly, the
problem should be component code specific....

> [...]

| > |
| > | As for SAO, when we use GetObject or the class constructor to create
the
| > | object, the remote object is not actually created or referenced, in
other
| > | word, the client consumer has not communicated with the hosting
server
| > | object yet. The communiation to the remoting server won't happen
until
| > the
| > | first time we call a remote method of the remote object(through
client
| > | proxy...). So you can check if the exception occurs everytime your
| > client
| > | application try invoking a remote method on a remote object's
proxy.....

| > | If so, we need to recheck the remote object's registering and client
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | Steven Cheng
| > | Microsoft Online Support
| > |
| > | Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
| > | (This posting is provided "AS IS", with no warranties, and confers no
| > | rights.)
| > |
| > |
| > | --------------------