Disposing a form

D

Davis

Hi, I have a main form which loads another form. I was wondering how to
dispose of the second form. I have some code below is this correct? Does the
dispose method have to be called after the form has exited.

Private Sub button_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As
System.EventArgs) Handles form2.Click

Dim frm As New frmScan

frm.Show()

frm.Dispose()

End Sub

D

Davis

Sorry not quite what i meant. I have a Main form which calls another form
(Form1) which then calls another form Form2. Form2 when it closes returns
to Form1

Private Sub Done_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Done.Click

Me.Close() 'Closes Form2

End Sub

The problem i have is i am not sure that Form2 is disposed let alone Form1. I have a big memory leak

How do i handle this scenario to prevent memory leaks. Where do i need to call Dispose method for Form 2

and Form 1.

Thanks

S

Simon Hart

Dispose Form2 in Form1 using the Dispose() method on return to Form1 from Form2. If you implement your own Dispose method this is where you should clean up any unmanaged, and SQL connections etc.

Regards
Simon.
to Form1

Private Sub Done_Click(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles Done.Click

Me.Close() 'Closes Form2

End Sub

The problem i have is i am not sure that Form2 is disposed let alone Form1. I have a big memory leak

How do i handle this scenario to prevent memory leaks. Where do i need to call Dispose method for Form 2

and Form 1.

Thanks

D

Davis

Thanks Simon, would i do it like this

frm = New Form1

frm.ShowDialog()

frm.Dispose

Dispose Form2 in Form1 using the Dispose() method on return to Form1 from Form2. If you implement your own Dispose method this is where you should clean up any unmanaged, and SQL connections etc.

Regards
Simon.
to Form1

Me.Close() 'Closes Form2

End Sub

and Form 1.

Thanks

S

Simon Hart

Hi Davis,

Yes this code is correct.

Regards
Simon.

frm = New Form1

frm.ShowDialog()

frm.Dispose

Regards
Simon.
to Form1

Me.Close() 'Closes Form2

End Sub

and Form 1.

Thanks

D

Davis

Sorry just one more question if i displayed a form with

frm.Show i can't put the frm.Dispose straight after. Where would
this go in this case?
Hi Davis,

Yes this code is correct.

Regards
Simon.

frm = New Form1

frm.ShowDialog()

frm.Dispose

Regards
Simon.
to Form1

Me.Close() 'Closes Form2

End Sub

and Form 1.

Thanks

Ask a Question