Disk Defragmenter MMC Error (plus Administrator Only error) HELP!

God will anything else go wrong with XP Home! Think ill buy an Apple!!
Not only do I have the Adminstrators Only Update Error (dealing with that elsewhere) I now have a problem with Disk Defragmenter.

When I try to run both from the icon under start and right click under c:, tools, it comes up with a Microsoft Management Console box with this error:

MMC cannot open the file c:windows\system32\dfrg.msc

then the usual, may not exist, is not an mmc console, may not have sufficient rights etc etc.

Any ideas? I have no viruses, no spyware, im the only Administrator on the pc, the file does exist but when i click on it it comes up the same.

PLEASE HELP!!!
Thanks all

Carey Frisch [MVP]

Visit http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm and scroll down to
Item No. 291 (Restore Defrag Snap-In).

[Courtesy of MS-MVP Kelly Theriot]

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| God will anything else go wrong with XP Home! Think ill buy an Apple!!
| Not only do I have the Adminstrators Only Update Error (dealing with that elsewhere) I now have a problem
with Disk Defragmenter.

| When I try to run both from the icon under start and right click under c:, tools, it comes up with a
Microsoft Management Console box with this error:

| MMC cannot open the file c:windows\system32\dfrg.msc
|
| then the usual, may not exist, is not an mmc console, may not have sufficient rights etc etc.
|
| Any ideas? I have no viruses, no spyware, im the only Administrator on the pc, the file does exist but when
i click on it it comes up the same.

| PLEASE HELP!!!
| Thanks all

Thanks, but doesnt make a difference!
Even though AdAware comes up clean it looks like ive got major probs as when i do a search from the address bar (and just put one word in) it comes up with this strange site..http://s1di.d8t.biz/index.php?aid=20038 yet my AV and Adaware say im clean. Im guessing everyting (including the Admin Only Update error) is linked in.....time to buy an Apple Mac!!

Carey Frisch [MVP]

OK, go buy an Apple Mac and it too will be susceptible to
virus and spyware attacks!

You may wish to try the Panda ActiveScan Free Online Scanner.
Just click on the "Scan your PC" box.

I Can't Change My Home Page - It Keeps Resetting!
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/answers.htm

Home Page Setting Changes Unexpectedly, or You Cannot Change Your Home Page Setting
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320159&Product=ie600

To secure your computer and prevent possible future security breeches,
consider installing a first-rate, comprehensive, internet security program:

Norton Internet Security 2004
http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

| Thanks, but doesnt make a difference!
| Even though AdAware comes up clean it looks like ive got major probs as when i do a search from the address
bar (and just put one word in) it comes up with this strange site..http://s1di.d8t.biz/index.php?aid=20038 yet
my AV and Adaware say im clean. Im guessing everyting (including the Admin Only Update error) is linked
in.....time to buy an Apple Mac!!

Gerry Cornell

Ted

I think you should try to resolve the access rights issue first. I was
pursuing another matter earlier today, and a variation of that solution
might resolve your problem.

Restart in Safe Mode -this disables file sharing. Open My Computer, browse
to dfrg.msc, right click and select Properties. Click the Security tab,
select Add and type the name of the user to whom you want to give access to
the file. Click OK and give the user full control and OK.

Restart the computer and try Disk Defragmenter.

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA

Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- -----------------------

| God will anything else go wrong with XP Home! Think ill buy an Apple!!
| Not only do I have the Adminstrators Only Update Error (dealing with that elsewhere) I now have a problem
with Disk Defragmenter.

| When I try to run both from the icon under start and right click under c:, tools, it comes up with a
Microsoft Management Console box with this error:

| MMC cannot open the file c:windows\system32\dfrg.msc
|
| then the usual, may not exist, is not an mmc console, may not have sufficient rights etc etc.
|
| Any ideas? I have no viruses, no spyware, im the only Administrator on the pc, the file does exist but when
i click on it it comes up the same.

| PLEASE HELP!!!
| Thanks all

Carrie Garth

| "bigted" <[email protected]>
| wrote in message | <SNIP> I now have a problem with Disk Defragmenter. When I
| try to run both from the icon under start and right click under c:, tools,
| it comes up with a Microsoft Management Console box with this error:
|
| MMC cannot open the file c:windows\system32\dfrg.msc
|
| then the usual, may not exist, is not an mmc console, may not have
| sufficient rights etc etc. <SNIP>

Maybe following the steps given in the following Google Groups
archived newsgroup post (to reinstall and register the built-in
defragmenter) would solve the problem.

Note that Laurence refers to the %SYSTEMROOT% folder
as winnt and yours is most likely Windows. So instead of:

"go to the \winnt\inf directory"

read

"go to the \Windows\inf directory"

Google Groups Link to Archived Newsgroup Post:
http://www.google.com/groups?&[email protected]