Discussion Form Handler, Search Form Handler, Feedback Form Handle

G

--
Re: Discussion Form Handler, Search Form Handler, Feedback Form Handler.

All work well at localhost on Windows 2000, IIS-5 and FP Server Ext. 2002 with posting page in a subWeb. All work well on hosted Web site when the posting page is in the root folder of Web site even though the applications are in subWebs. All give the following error message when the posting page is in a subWeb. The hosting server is Windows 2003, standard edition: 'Front Page Error; see server's application event log.' The hosting company doesn't know what that is. I would guess It seems to have something to do with specifying file locations as local or relative but I don't know where to look to change it.

Does anybody know why these applications won't work on the host site when posting from a subWeb?

S

Steve Easton

Did you create them in the subweb and then publish or did you move them into the subweb after
creation??

If moved after, "I think" you need to go into form properties and correct the path to the "saved
file."

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

subWeb. All work well on hosted Web site when the posting page is in the root folder of Web site
even though the applications are in subWebs. All give the following error message when the posting
page is in a subWeb. The hosting server is Windows 2003, standard edition: 'Front Page Error; see
server's application event log.' The hosting company doesn't know what that is. I would guess It
seems to have something to do with specifying file locations as local or relative but I don't know
where to look to change it.

G

Thank you, Steve. I created a new subweb on a disc based Web site via the Discussion Web Site Wizard. I then added a new index.htm in front of the Discussion index page because I want to have secure area where registration is required for the forum as well as some other pages. I then published to my localhost site. I can open the site in localhost and all works well, but not when I publish to the host server. Unless you have a better idea, I will remove all subwebs from the host server and then publish back to the host server a subweb at a time. This is what the tech person at the host company suggests.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Which OS is your site hosted on?

Access Permissions set locally are not publish to a remote server.

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.

attaboykf said:
Thank you, Steve. I created a new subweb on a disc based Web site via the Discussion Web Site
Wizard. I then added a new index.htm in front of the Discussion index page because I want to have
secure area where registration is required for the forum as well as some other pages. I then
published to my localhost site. I can open the site in localhost and all works well, but not when I
publish to the host server. Unless you have a better idea, I will remove all subwebs from the host
server and then publish back to the host server a subweb at a time. This is what the tech person at
the host company suggests.
--
Ken

Steve Easton said:
Did you create them in the subweb and then publish or did you move them into the subweb after
creation??

If moved after, "I think" you need to go into form properties and correct the path to the "saved
file."

--
Steve Easton
Microsoft MVP FrontPage
95isalive
This site is best viewed............
........................with a computer

a
subWeb. All work well on hosted Web site when the posting page is in the root folder of Web site
even though the applications are in subWebs. All give the following error message when the posting
page is in a subWeb. The hosting server is Windows 2003, standard edition: 'Front Page Error; see
server's application event log.' The hosting company doesn't know what that is. I would guess It
seems to have something to do with specifying file locations as local or relative but I don't know
where to look to change it.
Does anybody know why these applications won't work on the host site when posting from a subWeb?

T

Thomas A. Rowe

How are you setting permissions? If via FP, then you must publish the subweb to the remote server,
then open the subweb and set permissions on the remote server, as user access permissions are not
publish to the remote server.

Also you will need to add each user prior to them being able to access the discussion web.

Keep in mind that not all web host allow the option of creating access account, and it they do, they
may limit the number of users, so this would not be the way to go, if you want to assign unique IDs
to a large number of users.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

G

Thank you, Thomas. You must be talking about a FP Discussion Web site that uses Self-Registration. It is my understanding from Jim Buyens' book, 'FrontPage Inside Out' that I can't use the self-registration system with any Microsoft server if I intend to you it for the general public. (Well, he said that it was "essentially useless.") Therefore, I had planned to use the 'forms-based authentication' method that Buyens has in his Inside Out Extras.

Further investigation into this problem last night revealed that I could get it working as a subweb when I set it up with its own index page. I don't know yet if that is the deciding factor. I'll check that out today.

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Ken,

I am not familiar with Jim Buyens' book, so I don't know what method he has indicated.

I was talking about using the FP extensions function where you can create unique permissions for a
subweb and then assign users.

--
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

attaboykf said:
Thank you, Thomas. You must be talking about a FP Discussion Web site that uses
Self-Registration. It is my understanding from Jim Buyens' book, 'FrontPage Inside Out' that I
can't use the self-registration system with any Microsoft server if I intend to you it for the
general public. (Well, he said that it was "essentially useless.") Therefore, I had planned to use
the 'forms-based authentication' method that Buyens has in his Inside Out Extras.
Further investigation into this problem last night revealed that I could get it working as a
subweb when I set it up with its own index page. I don't know yet if that is the deciding factor.
I'll check that out today.

J

Jim Buyens

Right. If you have a Microsoft Web server, you can't use the
self-registration component that comes with FrontPage. That component
dates back to FrontPage 1.0, marketed by Vermier Technologies, not
Microsoft, and it only works on Unix Webs servers.

Windows Web servers use Active Directory (Windows logon accounts) for
controlling access to Web pages. This works very well for intranets or
limited numbers of users that you know in advance, but you *don't*
want people out on the Internet self-registering for Windows logon
accounts on your Web server. Therefore, Microsoft provides no such
security.

The 'forms-based authentication' that my Insider Extra prevents is
basically an application that stores self-registered logon accounts in
an Access database. This, however, means that the application (not the
Web server) is controlling the security. As a result, every secure
page must be an ASP or ASP.NET page. Furthermore:

o If you want to use ASP, each secure page must contain bit
of code that determines whether the current Web visitor
has logged on
o If you want to use ASP.NET, you must configure the web.config
file to protect the folder where your secure pages reside.

Now, unfortunately, FrontPage discussion groups use the FrontPage form
handler, and therefore *must* be .htm pages. This means you can't use
forms-based authentication with a FrontPage discussion group. If you
want to use forms-based authentication, you'd need to program your own
discussion group software in ASP or ASP.NET

Alternatively, you may wish to search for a third-party discussion
group package, or consider using Windows SharePoint Services.

Jim Buyens
Microsoft FrontPage MVP
http://www.interlacken.com
Author of:
*----------------------------------------------------
|\---------------------------------------------------
|| Microsoft Office FrontPage 2003 Inside Out
||---------------------------------------------------
|| Web Database Development Step by Step .NET Edition
|| Microsoft FrontPage Version 2002 Inside Out
|| Faster Smarter Beginning Programming
|| (All from Microsoft Press)
|/---------------------------------------------------
*----------------------------------------------------

G

How do you import the forum from toastforums.com into your web and make it
work? I am interested in this. Thanks.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28Crash_Gordon=AE\

Download it and install it by following toast's instructions.
You may want to install it into a subweb of your main web.

G

Is it going to work after installation or I need to make some adjustment? Do
you think if I can install it in a folder rather than a subweb since my web
hosting server does not allow for seuweb. Thanks a lot.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28Crash_Gordon=AE\

Dunno, it should.

I run my forum in subweb to keep it from messing up the main FP web.
Usually with forum software you have some configurations to setup...db path, permissions etc. Once it's setup they usually have an admin section that you will work in mostly.

ps. Some host's offer forums for a nominal fee. If your's does it might be easier to go that route. My host will install Snitz or PHPbb for 50 bucks - the forums are actually free.

Ask a Question