Disabling "My Recent Documents on Start Menu" does not work

M

M Hink

Small problem:

When I disabled (un-tick) the "My Recent Documents on Start Menu" at the
User Interface Component settings, it is enabled when my system is done
after FBA. Can anyone give me a clue or a hint?

Thanks in advance!

K

KM

M Hink,

You may want to check in pre-FBA and post-FBA images the state of the following key:
[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced],"Start_ShowRecentDocs"

M

M Hink

Hi KM,

When I'm in Target Designer, where can I view this particular registry
setting?

I look at a few places:

1: When I look at the registry data of the User Interface Core component,
there are only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE values. Also, when I scroll down there,
you can see the Custom Properties. I press "show"> cmiShowMyRecentDocuments
4 Onwaar

Onwaar = Dutch for not True, or False. This should be the registry
setting, right?

2: When I've built a target image, and I look in the folders, I suppose I
cannot see registry values at all here?

3: When I've done FBA and have the target system up & running: I check with
regedit, and don't see the Start_ShowRecentDocs in the list.

When I have "Show My Recent Documents on Start Menu" un-ticked (so
disabled!), how come there is no register value on my target system for it,
but it DOES show in the Startmenu?

I had no response in the XPE forums, so I leave another message here.

Anyone have an idea? Best regards, Maarten

KM said:
M Hink,

You may want to check in pre-FBA and post-FBA images the state of the
following key:

[HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced],"Start_ShowRecentDocs"

--
=========
Regards,
KM
Small problem:

When I disabled (un-tick) the "My Recent Documents on Start Menu" at the
User Interface Component settings, it is enabled when my system is done
after FBA. Can anyone give me a clue or a hint?

Thanks in advance!

K

KM

Maarten,

1) Yes, that checkbox under the "User Interface Core" component settings is mapped to the mentioned registry value via internal
component's script.

Are you using localized version of OS on your development machine? IIRC, there were some issues reported about the Toolkit where it
wasn't doing right things on non-English OS installed on build machine.

2) Sorry, couldn't quite understand what you meant here. What folders you are looking at?
You can [and should] open the pre-FBA (just built) image registry software hive and check how the value was set there. Under the
image build directory go to windows\system32\config folder and find "software" file there. You can open the hive on XP machine with
regedit (use Load Hive feature of regedit).
If the key is not there, you are probably seeing another bug and may want to report it to Microsoft.

3) Is this is the registry value you are checking?

The rule is that the Start_ShowRecentDocs registry value will be set to 0 if you clear up that checkbox. That will hide My Recent
Documents icon.
If you had the checkbox set, the value would not be present in the registry (which by default means 1).

Did you try manually setting the registry value at runtime and see if it makes any difference for the image on reboot/logoff?

Actually, I just took a quick glance at the VB script for the component. Something doesn't look right to me there and may not work,
my opinion, in localized versions of OS (although I work with English version here so never bothered to check).
For instance, Microsoft guys are using False/True constant there when trying to do a string compare to the values of particular
advanced properties. This may not work properly on localized OS, say Dutch for instance, where boolean is translated to local
language (False=OnWaar for Dutch, I think?). I'd go for CInt conversions there if I'd be a VB developer (and I am not, I am just a
C++ guy :) ).

If I am right above, you are better set the value explicitly in the TD Extra registry settings section.

--
=========
Regards,
KM
Hi KM,

When I'm in Target Designer, where can I view this particular registry setting?

I look at a few places:

1: When I look at the registry data of the User Interface Core component, there are only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE values. Also, when I
scroll down there, you can see the Custom Properties. I press "show"> cmiShowMyRecentDocuments 4 Onwaar

Onwaar = Dutch for not True, or False. This should be the registry setting, right?

2: When I've built a target image, and I look in the folders, I suppose I cannot see registry values at all here?

3: When I've done FBA and have the target system up & running: I check with regedit, and don't see the Start_ShowRecentDocs in the
list.

When I have "Show My Recent Documents on Start Menu" un-ticked (so disabled!), how come there is no register value on my target
system for it, but it DOES show in the Startmenu?

KM said:
M Hink,

You may want to check in pre-FBA and post-FBA images the state of the following key:

--
=========
Regards,
KM
Small problem:

When I disabled (un-tick) the "My Recent Documents on Start Menu" at the User Interface Component settings, it is enabled when
my system is done after FBA. Can anyone give me a clue or a hint?

Thanks in advance!

G

Hi,

I've got the same problem and I think you're right :
the problem comes with localized OS.

My question is how can you access the VB Script for the "User Interface
Core" Component ?
Thank you in advance.

Gastr

KM said:
Maarten,

1) Yes, that checkbox under the "User Interface Core" component settings is mapped to the mentioned registry value via internal
component's script.

Are you using localized version of OS on your development machine? IIRC, there were some issues reported about the Toolkit where it

2) Sorry, couldn't quite understand what you meant here. What folders you are looking at?
You can [and should] open the pre-FBA (just built) image registry software hive and check how the value was set there. Under the
image build directory go to windows\system32\config folder and find "software" file there. You can open the hive on XP machine with
If the key is not there, you are probably seeing another bug and may want to report it to Microsoft.

The rule is that the Start_ShowRecentDocs registry value will be set to 0 if you clear up that checkbox. That will hide My Recent
Documents icon.
If you had the checkbox set, the value would not be present in the registry (which by default means 1).

Did you try manually setting the registry value at runtime and see if it makes any difference for the image on reboot/logoff?

Actually, I just took a quick glance at the VB script for the component. Something doesn't look right to me there and may not work,
my opinion, in localized versions of OS (although I work with English version here so never bothered to check).
For instance, Microsoft guys are using False/True constant there when trying to do a string compare to the values of particular
advanced properties. This may not work properly on localized OS, say Dutch for instance, where boolean is translated to local
language (False=OnWaar for Dutch, I think?). I'd go for CInt conversions there if I'd be a VB developer (and I am not, I am just a

If I am right above, you are better set the value explicitly in the TD Extra registry settings section.

--
=========
Regards,
KM
Hi KM,

I look at a few places:

1: When I look at the registry data of the User Interface Core component, there are only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE values. Also, when I
scroll down there, you can see the Custom Properties. I press "show"> cmiShowMyRecentDocuments 4 Onwaar

Onwaar = Dutch for not True, or False. This should be the registry setting, right?

2: When I've built a target image, and I look in the folders, I suppose I cannot see registry values at all here?

3: When I've done FBA and have the target system up & running: I check with regedit, and don't see the Start_ShowRecentDocs in the
list.

When I have "Show My Recent Documents on Start Menu" un-ticked (so disabled!), how come there is no register value on my target

KM said:
M Hink,

--
=========
Regards,
KM

Small problem:

When I disabled (un-tick) the "My Recent Documents on Start Menu" at the User Interface Component settings, it is enabled when

Thanks in advance!

K

KM

Gastr,
My question is how can you access the VB Script for the "User Interface
Core" Component ?

This ia tough one. I mean it is not a big deal to get your hands on the script.
A few way to get it:
- from MS QFE that did change that component
- from binaries of database (just search within the database using a unicode search tool)
- using my DependencyExplorer tool (xpefiles.com, XPeTools package) that allolows you to export particular component DHTML and
script

But then what it gives you? You can't update MS-released component in the database. You can however create your own version of
similar component with whatever modifications you may need.

--
=========
Regards,
KM

KM said:
Maarten,

component's script.

Are you using localized version of OS on your development machine? IIRC, there were some issues reported about the Toolkit where
it

image build directory go to windows\system32\config folder and find "software" file there. You can open the hive on XP machine
with

Documents icon.

Actually, I just took a quick glance at the VB script for the component. Something doesn't look right to me there and may not
work,
language (False=OnWaar for Dutch, I think?). I'd go for CInt conversions there if I'd be a VB developer (and I am not, I am just
a

--
=========
Regards,
KM
Hi KM,

I look at a few places:

1: When I look at the registry data of the User Interface Core component, there are only HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE values. Also, when
I

3: When I've done FBA and have the target system up & running: I check with regedit, and don't see the Start_ShowRecentDocs in
the
list.

"KM" <konstmor@nospam_yahoo.com> schreef in bericht M Hink,

--
=========
Regards,
KM

Small problem:

When I disabled (un-tick) the "My Recent Documents on Start Menu" at the User Interface Component settings, it is enabled
when

Thanks in advance!

Ask a Question