Disable ICS and computers can no longer share

G

I had an existing network for several months, then decided to share a dialup - we shared printers, files, etc. Then I decided to turn the host feature off for Internet and let each machine use it's own modem to dialup - immediately, I could not longer share files - mapped drives couldn't connect. If I turn the ICS on in the host machine again, we can share files and printers again. Why did the network work fine before I turned on ICS and now that I turn it off the network no longer works? Thanks for the help.

H

Hans-Georg Michna

C Bork said:
I had an existing network for several months, then decided to share a dialup - we shared printers, files, etc. Then I decided to turn the host feature off for Internet and let each machine use it's own modem to dialup - immediately, I could not longer share files - mapped drives couldn't connect. If I turn the ICS on in the host machine again, we can share files and printers again. Why did the network work fine before I turned on ICS and now that I turn it off the network no longer works? Thanks for the help.

One suspicion is that the computer changes its IP address when
you disable ICS (Internet Connection Sharing).

Try to give all computers fixed IP adresses like this:

Computer 1: 192.168.0.1
Computer 2: 192.168.0.2

and so on. The subnet mask is always: 255.255.255.0

Leave the standard gateway empty.

Hans-Georg

Ask a Question