Disable error reporting tool problems in win98

Jeff Stevens

I am attempting to disable the IE 6.0 error reporting tool in the
registry as per the microsoft instructions:

"To disable Internet Explorer Error Reporting so that the default
operating system error handler is shown if a crash occurs, set the
following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\

IEWatsonEnabled = (DWORD) 0

A value of 0 disables Internet Explorer Error Reporting, and a value
of 1 enables it (removing the key also enables Internet Explorer Error
Reporting)."

In my registry I noticed no "IEWatsonEnabled" in the sub directory of
Main.

anyone have any ideas? I just reformated a month ago and i think I
used a win 98 that was not second edition but not sure. wonder if that
is the reason.

Thanks,

J Stevens

Jeff Stevens

Thanks Don. I did not realize that you create it. I thought it was
there and you changed the value. Ive edited the registry before and no
problems but still a little nervous. Thanks again.

Jeff Stevens

DVarnau said:
Jeff,
You can create that DWORD value.
See:
305389 - How to Disable Internet Explorer Error Reporting:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=305389

Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
d.varnau[at]lycos[dot]com
Jeff Stevens said:
[...]

that link you referred to says its for IE 5.5. I have 6.0. the link
for 6.0 does not make reference to adding that value. In your opinion
do you think it would make a difference? adding that value in 6.0
versus 5.5?

Thanks again.

Jeff Stevens

Jeff Stevens said:
[...]

DVarnau

Jeff,
Caution, when editing the registry, is a good thing. Just export the key
[HKey_Local_Machine\software\microsoft\internet explorer\main] You can merge
that key back into the registry if necessary.

This regedit is safe with Win98. There's another MSKB article:
276550 - Description and Availability of Internet Explorer Error Reporting
Tool: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q276550

Don
--
Newsgroup replies preferred, but e-mail address is...
d.varnau[at]lycos[dot]com
- - - - - -

Jeff Stevens said:
[...]

Thanks again for your help. Not quite sure what you mean by exporting
the key. Not sure where to export it to. But i will do some homework
on that.
I appreciate your help. This IE error reporting tool is a pain.

Jeff Stevens

"Jeff Stevens" <stevens_jeff[at]hotmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

You would export that key, before editing it, as a backup. Just select the
key then click on Registry then Export. Put the key someplace convenient.
Merging that key back into the registry will undo whatever change you made.

Don