Disable Bad Sector Forwarding

Michael

hi all

I got a hd with bad sectors and ran "fsck.ext3 -v" which scans the hd
for bad sectors and adds them to the bad block list of the filesystem.
After running this command several times it occurs the me the bad
sectors are kind of jumping from one position of the disk to another
each time. Sometimes fsck finds 18 or 0 or 28 bad sectors. I think the
reason is the automatic sector forwarding of the hd that falsifies the
result. Is there a way to turn it off? Maybe with smart?

thanks

Arno Wagner

Previously Michael said:
I got a hd with bad sectors and ran "fsck.ext3 -v" which scans the hd
for bad sectors and adds them to the bad block list of the filesystem.
After running this command several times it occurs the me the bad
sectors are kind of jumping from one position of the disk to another
each time. Sometimes fsck finds 18 or 0 or 28 bad sectors. I think the
reason is the automatic sector forwarding of the hd that falsifies the
result. Is there a way to turn it off? Maybe with smart?

No. HDDs do not do "sector forwarding" (whatever that may be). They
do transparent sector reallocation. After being reallocated, a defect
sector is not ever visible to software again.

It looks to me that your disk is dying and produces a whole lot of new
defective secors atty the time. You should urgently back it up
and investigate. For this get a SMART status, which also lists the
reallocated secors count.

Arno

Andre Majorel

No. HDDs do not do "sector forwarding" (whatever that may be). They
do transparent sector reallocation. After being reallocated, a defect
sector is not ever visible to software again.

It looks to me that your disk is dying and produces a whole lot of new
defective secors atty the time. You should urgently back it up
and investigate.

What he said. It's very likely your disk is dying. Make a backup
immediately.

isaac4all

Your hard disk is getting damaged. To prvent this purchase a new one i
will strongly recommend you should purchase a seagate hard disk the
make your current hard disk a slave to the new one
I will recommend to purchase a new hard disk at
Tigerdirect
http://click.linksynergy.com/fs-bin/click?id=x1ijFJ9Dvfc&offerid=102327.10000056&type=4&subid=0

I always recommend tigerdirect because they stock original and new
products thats why i will always recommend tigerdirect. So do get a
new one as soon as possible to prevent lossing the one you have now.

Isaac okoye
Information Rules the World
http://www.finditall100free.ds4a.com

Rod Speed

Michael said:
I got a hd with bad sectors and ran "fsck.ext3 -v" which scans the hd
for bad sectors and adds them to the bad block list of the filesystem.
After running this command several times it occurs the me the bad
sectors are kind of jumping from one position of the disk to another
each time. Sometimes fsck finds 18 or 0 or 28 bad sectors. I think the
reason is the automatic sector forwarding of the hd that falsifies the result.

Nope, the real reason is because the fault isnt on the physical platter,
its in something common like a faulty cable to the heads etc.
Is there a way to turn it off? Maybe with smart?

Wont make any difference even if it was possible.

Folkert Rienstra

Arno Wagner wrote in news:[email protected]
That would be counter intuitive.
It could be that no reassigns occur at all but the drive is sometimes read-
ing normally and then again it struggles to read properly, triggering a ti-
me out in the driver without actually failing to read the block in question.
Is there a way to turn it off? Maybe with smart?

No. HDDs do not do "sector forwarding"
(whatever that may be).

So you don't have a clue actually whether they do it or don't, babblebot.
They do transparent sector reallocation. After being reallocated, a de-
fect sector is not ever visible to software again.

Until it's replacement dies.
It looks to me that your disk is dying and produces a whole lot of new
defective secors

Or maybe it just has a bad power connection.
Or runs a tad hot.
atty the time.

(whatever that may be).
You should urgently back it up and investigate.
For this get a SMART status, which also lists the reallocated secors count.

No, it doesn't. A SMART report does.