DirectSound 3D over Dolby Digital 5.1?

I bought a new PC with Vista, and I'm interested in gaming on my HDTV. I have
an Asus P5B Motherboard with integrated audio. I'm able to output in 5.1 with
DirectSound 3D when I use the 3 speaker plugs on the back, but it doesn't
output over the fiberoptic cable with Dolby Digital... It will for the
Windows test, but not with DirectSound 3D. Can anyone do that? What sound
hardware do you have? Does anyone know if it's a driver thing or do I have to
start looking for PC games that explicitly support Dolby Digital 5.1
encoding?

Thanks!

Grae

Hey Matt,

I'm trying to use digital coax out from my MSI motherboard, and I can't.
Like you I can get the Dolby Digital test sound to work from the sound
control panel. I've attached below a thread from the
"microsoft.public.windows.vista.hardware_devices" newsgroup for info. You
might want to keep an eye on that for an answer too.

Graeme