DIP9 Cutouts and FP2003

G

I created a cutout using DIP9 with a transparent background. However, when I insert the .png picture, it is surrounded either by a black background or in the case of another cut-out a blue-grey background. Why does that happen? How can I fix it so the background remains transparent?

Also, I'm still wondering why my change of font in a template does not translate to IE when I open the site, but shows when I "Open Site in Front Page."

Thanks,

T

Thomas A. Rowe

Did you import the DIP9 images into your current open web prior to using them on your pages?

What type of template are you using?

--
==============================================
Thomas A. Rowe (Microsoft MVP - FrontPage)
WEBMASTER Resources(tm)

FrontPage Resources, WebCircle, MS KB Quick Links, etc.
==============================================

Vicki said:
I created a cutout using DIP9 with a transparent background. However, when I insert the .png
picture, it is surrounded either by a black background or in the case of another cut-out a blue-grey
background. Why does that happen? How can I fix it so the background remains transparent?
Also, I'm still wondering why my change of font in a template does not translate to IE when I open
the site, but shows when I "Open Site in Front Page."

G

I guess I'm not sure what you are asking. The only way that I can use the image is to import it into my local site, saving and then publishing to my remote site. Which is what I want to do. However, because of the black background that appears on my local site, I don't want to publish it to my remote site.

I am using an FP template.

BTW, you can see an example of the blue-grey background that is suppose to be transparent on this website: http://edison1.com. It is the very first image. That was when I discovered that the transparent background wasn't so transparent. In that case, it ended up actually being a nice "frame" but it certainly wasn't intended.

The site on which I'm trying to place my current cutout is a different site, but same problem.

Thanks.

G

PS. I'm encountering some strange actions with FP2003 that I didn't have with FP 2000 and one is a question I recently asked about Web Appearances; specifically about customizing text and color in templates. I can't quite figure out why some of my changes are not translating to the web.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Crash_Gordon=AE?=

I believe it's an IE issue. I think, if I remember correctly, that IE has a problem displaying (not displaying??) tranparent pngs very well, i think the tranparency gets displayed as blue-gray. I think this is true in Opera too.

You'd probably be much better off using .gifs. imo.

Robo

| I created a cutout using DIP9 with a transparent background. However, when I insert the .png picture, it is surrounded either by a black background or in the case of another cut-out a blue-grey background. Why does that happen? How can I fix it so the background remains transparent?
|
| Also, I'm still wondering why my change of font in a template does not translate to IE when I open the site, but shows when I "Open Site in Front Page."
|
| Thanks,
| --
| Vicki

G

Thank you. I did change the image from .png to .gif and the transparent background is indeed transparent. Since DIP gives options to save images, why would I save an image as a gif rather than png or jpeg? Is it a better format for using on websites? I did notice that the gif file was considerable smaller than the png image. As a gif image, will it remain editable like a png image is.

?

long story..but png was supposed to become the new standard but it never really caught on I guess. I've had problems with them as well, so I don't use them too often. Yep gif's are smaller and more limited in scope, but they work everywhere.

Yah, you can edit a gif..even an animated one, but they are lossy so don't do it. Also gifs are generally horrible at gradients, so I don't use gradients in gifs, I use a super-optimized jpg if I need a gradient fill.

| Thank you. I did change the image from .png to .gif and the transparent background is indeed transparent. Since DIP gives options to save images, why would I save an image as a gif rather than png or jpeg? Is it a better format for using on websites? I did notice that the gif file was considerable smaller than the png image. As a gif image, will it remain editable like a png image is.
|
| --
| Vicki
|
|
| "Crash Gordon®" wrote:
|
| > I believe it's an IE issue. I think, if I remember correctly, that IE has a problem displaying (not displaying??) tranparent pngs very well, i think the tranparency gets displayed as blue-gray. I think this is true in Opera too.
| >
| > You'd probably be much better off using .gifs. imo.
| >
| > Robo
| >
| >
| > | I created a cutout using DIP9 with a transparent background. However, when I insert the .png picture, it is surrounded either by a black background or in the case of another cut-out a blue-grey background. Why does that happen? How can I fix it so the background remains transparent?
| > |
| > | Also, I'm still wondering why my change of font in a template does not translate to IE when I open the site, but shows when I "Open Site in Front Page."
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > | --
| > | Vicki
| >

?

Optimized as far as you can optimize it and still be decent looking.

| Much appreciated information. Might I ask what a super-optimized jpeg is?
|
| --
| Vicki
|
|
| "Crash Gordon®" wrote:
|
| > long story..but png was supposed to become the new standard but it never really caught on I guess. I've had problems with them as well, so I don't use them too often. Yep gif's are smaller and more limited in scope, but they work everywhere.
| >
| > Yah, you can edit a gif..even an animated one, but they are lossy so don't do it. Also gifs are generally horrible at gradients, so I don't use gradients in gifs, I use a super-optimized jpg if I need a gradient fill.
| >
| >
| > | Thank you. I did change the image from .png to .gif and the transparent background is indeed transparent. Since DIP gives options to save images, why would I save an image as a gif rather than png or jpeg? Is it a better format for using on websites? I did notice that the gif file was considerable smaller than the png image. As a gif image, will it remain editable like a png image is.
| > |
| > | --
| > | Vicki
| > |
| > |
| > | "Crash Gordon®" wrote:
| > |
| > | > I believe it's an IE issue. I think, if I remember correctly, that IE has a problem displaying (not displaying??) tranparent pngs very well, i think the tranparency gets displayed as blue-gray. I think this is true in Opera too.
| > | >
| > | > You'd probably be much better off using .gifs. imo.
| > | >
| > | > Robo
| > | >
| > | >
| > | > | I created a cutout using DIP9 with a transparent background. However, when I insert the .png picture, it is surrounded either by a black background or in the case of another cut-out a blue-grey background. Why does that happen? How can I fix it so the background remains transparent?
| > | > |
| > | > | Also, I'm still wondering why my change of font in a template does not translate to IE when I open the site, but shows when I "Open Site in Front Page."
| > | > |
| > | > | Thanks,
| > | > | --
| > | > | Vicki
| > | >
| >

Ask a Question