Difficult to fix Windows 2000 problem - error 1324 and more . . .

S

Stan Shankman

This is very peculiar. My system has
Place0 REG_DWORD 0x00000022 (34)
Place1 REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)
Place2 REG_DWORD 0x00000005 (5)
Place3 REG_EXPAND_SZ %SystemDrive%\
Place4 REG_SZ E:\

and the 05 value works just fine to display my (renamed) "My Documents"
folder. Is your documents folder appropriately defined in the Personal
value of
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell
Folders and
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders?

Yes, both of my above keys are as they should be.

S

Stan Shankman

Gary Smith said:
The original desktop shortcut for "My Documents" is not an ordinary
shortcut. You should be able to make that one reappear by going to Folder
Options > View and checking the box labeled "Show My Documents on the
Desktop" near the bottom of the Advanced box. That option may also be
connected to the entry in the Places bar.

Gary,

Hey guy, that was it. All I had to do was to add back "My Documents" to the desktop.

I can't say that I fully understand all of the underlying reasons for it, but I'm happy I now have it fixed. I had previously drug a "My Documents" shortcut to the desktop and as you pointed out, that was not good enough. By the way, I notice on the "Desktop" tab in TweekUI, (near the bottom) is a button called "Create As File" - When I question that button, it reads:

'Click the "Create As File" button to create a special file which behaves like the highlighted special desktop icon, but which can be dragged and dropped anywhere you want.'

I'm not sure how all this works, but now that I've gotten this far into it, I think I will spend yet more time and try to learn about these "special shortcuts". And while I'm at it, I would still like to know how the CSIDL value 05 gets assigned to "My Documents".

It seems a shame that so much effort has to be put into solving this (seemingly simple) problem, and now that it's solved, I'm not so sure it was nearly as difficult as I had original thought. I fact, it seems more like a user-error than a real problem and was certainly not some deep-rooted registry problem. I really don't think that its solution requires the "Rocket-Science" level of mastermind that I had originally sought out. Nonetheless, in keeping with my original post, I have to hand it to you buddy.

GARY L. SMITH, YOU ARE AN "A" NUMBER-ONE, SUPER-DUPER ROCKET SCIENTIST!! I'm proud of you buddy!! Thanks for the good work! (And hey, don't think we don't know that you live like any good computer-nerd with piles of Microsoft documentation stacked up all around like kindling wood, and you probably even have multiple computers that you leave running 24-hours a day. We've got your number Gary. You the man!

J

Thanks again,

- Stan Shankman

S

Stan Shankman

Gary Smith said:
The original desktop shortcut for "My Documents" is not an ordinary
shortcut. You should be able to make that one reappear by going to Folder
Options > View and checking the box labeled "Show My Documents on the
Desktop" near the bottom of the Advanced box. That option may also be
connected to the entry in the Places bar.

Gary,

Hey guy, that was it. All I had to do was to add back "My Documents" to the desktop.

I can't say that I fully understand all of the underlying reasons for it, but I'm happy I now have it fixed. I had previously drug a "My Documents" shortcut to the desktop and as you pointed out, that was not good enough. By the way, I notice on the "Desktop" tab in TweekUI, (near the bottom) is a button called "Create As File" - When I question that button, it reads:

'Click the "Create As File" button to create a special file which behaves like the highlighted special desktop icon, but which can be dragged and dropped anywhere you want.'

I'm not sure how all this works, but now that I've gotten this far into it, I think I will spend yet more time and try to learn about these "special shortcuts". And while I'm at it, I would still like to know how the CSIDL value 05 gets assigned to "My Documents".

It seems a shame that so much effort has to be put into solving this (seemingly simple) problem, and now that it's solved, I'm not so sure it was nearly as difficult as I had original thought. I fact, it seems more like a user-error than a real problem and was certainly not some deep-rooted registry problem. I really don't think that its solution requires the "Rocket-Science" level of mastermind that I had originally sought out. Nonetheless, in keeping with my original post, I have to hand it to you buddy.

GARY L. SMITH, YOU ARE AN "A" NUMBER-ONE, SUPER-DUPER ROCKET SCIENTIST!! I'm proud of you buddy!! Thanks for the good work! (And hey, don't think we don't know that you live like any good computer-nerd with piles of Microsoft documentation stacked up all around like kindling wood, and you probably even have multiple computers that you leave running 24-hours a day. We've got your number Gary. You the man!

J

Thanks again,

- Stan Shankman

G

Gary Smith

Stan Shankman said:
GARY L. SMITH, YOU ARE AN "A" NUMBER-ONE, SUPER-DUPER ROCKET SCIENTIST!!
I'm proud of you buddy!! Thanks for the good work! (And hey, don't think
we don't know that you live like any good computer-nerd with piles of
Microsoft documentation stacked up all around like kindling wood, and you
probably even have multiple computers that you leave running 24-hours a
day. We've got your number Gary. You the man!

<Blush> I'm glad I could help. Remember that 9 times out of 10, the
"expert" is nothing more than someone who happened to have same the
problem a bit sooner than you did.

G

Gary Smith

Stan Shankman said:
GARY L. SMITH, YOU ARE AN "A" NUMBER-ONE, SUPER-DUPER ROCKET SCIENTIST!!
I'm proud of you buddy!! Thanks for the good work! (And hey, don't think
we don't know that you live like any good computer-nerd with piles of
Microsoft documentation stacked up all around like kindling wood, and you
probably even have multiple computers that you leave running 24-hours a
day. We've got your number Gary. You the man!

<Blush> I'm glad I could help. Remember that 9 times out of 10, the
"expert" is nothing more than someone who happened to have same the
problem a bit sooner than you did.

Ask a Question