Dial-up dilemmas - icon but no access

D

Dorothy Koval

We're still on dial-up in northern Vermont (we went from 50 mbps to 28.8 when we got our new computers, presumably because of old telephone lines and new modems). Sometimes it's tolerable, but quite often, even though the icon in the tray shows a connection, the computer somehow goes offline and we have to "disconnect" and start again. Sometimes that works, sometimes we have to do it several times. I have a Dell laptop, my husband has an HP desktop, both running XP (mine Pro).

I can usually get my email and most internet pages eventually, if I don't try for video. But lately he can't even get email (he uses Thunderbird). That and sometimes Internet searches is all he uses the computer for, so there is plenty of space on the hd and he really doesn't agitate the system much, just checks his mail a couple of times a day. We both have Webroot Internet Security Essentials anti-virus, which I think is overkill for him at least (it takes so long to load!), but it doesn't show any viruses or malware.

What can he do?? Thanks for any ides!

EggHeadCafe - Software Developer Portal of Choice
C# Speech Recognition Stock Quote app with SAPI
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...bd-7da8bfcd6bca/c-speech-recognition-sto.aspx

D

Dorothy Koval

was 50 KBPS, not mbps; now it's anywhere from 5 to 28 kbps.

Dorothy Koval wrote:

02-Nov-09

We're still on dial-up in northern Vermont (we went from 50 mbps to 28.8 when we got our new computers, presumably because of old telephone lines and new modems). Sometimes it's tolerable, but quite often, even though the icon in the tray shows a connection, the computer somehow goes offline and we have to "disconnect" and start again. Sometimes that works, sometimes we have to do it several times. I have a Dell laptop, my husband has an HP desktop, both running XP (mine Pro).

I can usually get my email and most internet pages eventually, if I don't try for video. But lately he can't even get email (he uses Thunderbird). That and sometimes Internet searches is all he uses the computer for, so there is plenty of space on the hd and he really doesn't agitate the system much, just checks his mail a couple of times a day. We both have Webroot Internet Security Essentials anti-virus, which I think is overkill for him at least (it takes so long to load!), but it doesn't show any viruses or malware.

Previous Posts In This Thread:

Convert SQL Server nText to HTML
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...88-909a707ff491/convert-sql-server-ntext.aspx

D

Don Phillipson

We're still on dial-up in northern Vermont . . .
Sometimes it's tolerable, but quite often, even though the icon in the
tray shows a connection, > the computer somehow goes offline and we have to
"disconnect" and start again. Sometimes > that works, sometimes we have to
do it several times.

In most phone systems, the copper wires that connect
you are changed several times a year, for the convenience
of the phone co -- so your current performance is not likely
to change, unless it gets worse. Your only chance of
reliable or high speed connection is what ISPs call
"wireless:" you must buy a radio-frequency modem
which connects via cell phone towers. So your chances
depend on construction of at least one cell phone tower
where you live. However some state and city governments
are trying to promote wireless ISPs as the cheapest way
to get high speed access everywhere.

C

chas2209

was 50 KBPS, not mbps; now it's anywhere from 5 to 28 kbps.

Dorothy Koval wrote:

02-Nov-09

We're still on dial-up in northern Vermont (we went from 50 mbps to 28.8
when we got our new computers, presumably because of old telephone lines
and new modems). Sometimes it's tolerable, but quite often, even though
the icon in the tray shows a connection, the computer somehow goes offline
and we have to "disconnect" and start again. Sometimes that works,
sometimes we have to do it several times. I have a Dell laptop, my
husband has an HP desktop, both running XP (mine Pro).

I can usually get my email and most internet pages eventually, if I don't
try for video. But lately he can't even get email (he uses Thunderbird).
That and sometimes Internet searches is all he uses the computer for, so
there is plenty of space on the hd and he really doesn't agitate the
system much, just checks his mail a couple of times a day. We both have
Webroot Internet Security Essentials anti-virus, which I think is overkill
for him at least (it takes so long to load!), but it doesn't show any
viruses or malware.

Convert SQL Server nText to HTML
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...88-909a707ff491/convert-sql-server-ntext.aspx

Hi Dorothy
If you can receive a mobile broadband signal eg Gprs; 3G; hspda, etc
then try that.
Otherwise relocate.

chas2209

A

Andrew E.

Try internet connections (control panel),R.click on youre connection icon,
properties,uncheck packet scheduler,in L.sub menu select "repair this
connection".
Also,unplug the modem for 2-3 minutes,if it was running with other pcs,then
its settings still have older pc setting,unplugging resets it..

U

Unknown

There is an option with dial-up to disconnect after downloading mail. Check
to be sure it is not checked.

D

Dorothy Koval

Thanks all for your suggestions - I really appreciate being able to discuss this, as mostly each branch of the technology says it's the fault of the other.

Unfortunately, we do not have a cell phone signal at our house, and are unlikely to get one soon since the phone company that took over this part of VT a year or so ago just went into bankruptcy. There is cell connection not far away, but the mountains apparently make it complicated. With my laptop I can go down to the Library in the next town and download large files, updates &c. but Dominic is stuck.

There is a lot of static on our phone lines, and moreso on his, which I think compounds the problem. He is a painter/sculptor and the computer is in his studio about 100' from the house, which is connected to the main house by an outdoor telephone wire we strung through the upper windows about 15 years ago...

Andrew, I will definitely try your suggestions, and let you know if they help.

I'm familiar with the "disconnect after downloading" box, having made that mistake myself, but it's not checked and we can't download the mail to begin with.

I tried both IE and Firefox, and for mail both Outlook Express and Thunderbird. The connection seems to be made, but just not strong enough to do anything.

Sometimes it does seem that relocate would be the only solution, but no. No technology is worth that! Rewire? Find out how much patience we have? Hope the static will go away when the weather changes or they do something else to the lines?? It does seem to go through bad patches and better ones, but we're never sure whether it's them or us.

Unknown wrote:

There is an option with dial-up to disconnect after downloading mail.
02-Nov-09

There is an option with dial-up to disconnect after downloading mail. Chec

Excel Macros - Create And Run in C# at Runtime
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...fc-5ef649a032b9/excel-macros--create-and.aspx

R

Roy Smith

Dorothy said:
Thanks all for your suggestions - I really appreciate being able to discuss this, as mostly each branch of the technology says it's the fault of the other.

Unfortunately, we do not have a cell phone signal at our house, and are unlikely to get one soon since the phone company that took over this part of VT a year or so ago just went into bankruptcy. There is cell connection not far away, but the mountains apparently make it complicated. With my laptop I can go down to the Library in the next town and download large files, updates &c. but Dominic is stuck.

There is a lot of static on our phone lines, and moreso on his, which I think compounds the problem. He is a painter/sculptor and the computer is in his studio about 100' from the house, which is connected to the main house by an outdoor telephone wire we strung through the upper windows about 15 years ago...

I'm familiar with the "disconnect after downloading" box, having made that mistake myself, but it's not checked and we can't download the mail to begin with.

I tried both IE and Firefox, and for mail both Outlook Express and Thunderbird. The connection seems to be made, but just not strong enough to do anything.

Sometimes it does seem that relocate would be the only solution, but no. No technology is worth that! Rewire? Find out how much patience we have? Hope the static will go away when the weather changes or they do something else to the lines?? It does seem to go through bad patches and better ones, but we're never sure whether it's them or us.

Unknown wrote:

There is an option with dial-up to disconnect after downloading mail.
02-Nov-09

There is an option with dial-up to disconnect after downloading mail. Check

Ever think about getting the internet off of a satellite? The big
problem with that may be what's termed line of sight. If you have a lot
of trees around your home, then the satellite option may not work either.

D

Dorothy Koval

Hello again -
I tried to follow Andrew's suggestion about unchecking the Packet scheduler, but didn't see a "packet scheduler" option directly under Properties. Under Properties> Networking, I did find that "QoS Packet Scheduler" was checked (as were "Internet Protocol" and "Client for MS Network"), but I was not allowed to uncheck it. Also, I didn't see a repair option. Was I in the right place?
I disconnected the modem for a while, and also disabled and re-enabled it in Device Manager.
When I went back online the connection started at 4.5 kbps and eventually went to 9.8, but I was still unable to open websites or download mail. Surprisingly, when I was turning off the computer I saw that it had succeeded in downloading an update, which made me think that getting updates might be using a lot of its available energy, so I disabled Windows automatic updates and also InstallShield updates and tried again, but it didn't seem to do any good. Was that a reasonable line of action or just a detour?

Dorothy Koval wrote:

response to ideas & more details
02-Nov-09

Dr. Dotnetsky's Cool .NET Tips and Tricks # 9
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...a148-4a69bf0dfda7/dr-dotnetskys-cool-net.aspx

A

Andrew E.

The QoS Packet Scheduler is the right one,it gets disabled below the box,
as for "repair this connection",L.click on the internet icon that 1st shows
from internet connections,if thiers more than 1 icon,uninstall,or disable
it,the
icon you want should relate to youre pc hardware components..

Ask a Question