DHCP - managing authorized servers

Brian Roberson

A funny issue - not really a problem but mildly irritating. Our domain has
morphed from NT 3.51 to 4.0 to 2000, and finally 2003.

We've had to phase out hardware (of course) along the way. Also, we've
renamed servers along the way. At a certain point we had a server named
"helpdesk". It was PDC under NT 4.0 and we upgraded it to 2000. It also
happened to be our DHCP server.

Ever since 2000, when we go to the DHCP MMC, then select "Managed Authorized
Servers" - we get a list of computer names that are no longer valid. The IP
Addresses now belong to the *real* DC's that run DHCP, but the names aren't
correct. I've scowered DNS/WINS and can't find where this authorized list
is maintained. We don't have a computer named "Helpdesk" anymore and for
the life of us we can't figure out where this DHCP applet is grabbing the
name.

Anyone have any good ideas??

brian

Danny Slye - [MSFT}

The list is maintained in Active Directory. "netsh dhcp show server" will
show the servers as they are listed in AD. Then you should be able to do a
"netsh dhcp delete server <bad name> <ip address>, followed by a "netsh
dhcp add server <correct name> <ip address>.

Danny

--------------------
From: "Brian Roberson" <[email protected]>
Subject: DHCP - managing authorized servers
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:37:08 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking

[...]

__
Danny Slye
Microsoft Support Professional
MCSE

Please reply to the newsgroup so that others may benefit. Thanks!

Brian Roberson

Danny,

This worked for two of the fouled up DHCP servers. I have two remaining
that it refuses to delete. Do you know the location in AD (ADSIEDIT) where
I could manually can these from AD?

Brian

From: "Brian Roberson" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:37:08 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking

[...]

When trying to remove stale items i'm getting

"There is no such object on the server"

stumped..

brian

From: "Brian Roberson" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:37:08 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking

[...]

using adsiedit

find the Dhcproot object in the following AD path DN:
CN=NetServices,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=domain,DC=com

display the attribute Dhcpserver, and remove the corrupt or unwanted
servername/ip address value

once the entry is removed restart the Dhcp server service

They should appear correctly now, you may have to re-authorize them

From: "Brian Roberson" <[email protected]>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:37:08 -0500
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking