DFS

Tony

DFS doesn't seem to be replicating. There aren't any
events and the logs don't show any errors. Here's the
last posting to the log

Computer FQDN is cn=webfarm1,ou=domain
controllers,dc=srwebfarm,dc=int
<FrsDsFindComputer: 3792: 8723: S2:
11:02:12> :DS: Computer's dns name is
webfarm1.srwebfarm.int
<FrsDsFindComputer: 3792: 8737: S2:
11:02:12> :DS: Settings reference is cn=ntds
settings,cn=webfarm1,cn=servers,cn=default-first-site-
name,cn=sites,cn=configuration,dc=srwebfarm,dc=int
<MainWait: 3580: 619: S0: 11:02:12>
Wait thread is exiting.
<ThSupWaitThread: 3444: 501: S1:
11:02:12> :S: Wait: Waiting
<ThSupWaitThread: 3444: 529: S1:
11:02:12> :S: Wait: normal wait
<ThSupWaitThread: 3444: 501: S1:
11:07:12> :S: ReplicaCs: Waiting
<ThSupWaitThread: 3444: 529: S1:
11:07:12> :S: ReplicaCs: normal wait
<ThSupWaitThread: 3444: 501: S1:
11:07:12> :S: ReplicaCs: Waiting
<ThSupWaitThread: 3444: 529: S1:
11:07:12> :S: ReplicaCs: normal wait
<FrsDsFindComputer: 3792: 8717: S2:
11:07:12> :DS: Computer FQDN is cn=webfarm1,ou=domain
controllers,dc=srwebfarm,dc=int
<FrsDsFindComputer: 3792: 8723: S2:
11:07:12> :DS: Computer's dns name is
webfarm1.srwebfarm.int
<FrsDsFindComputer: 3792: 8737: S2:
11:07:12> :DS: Settings reference is cn=ntds
settings,cn=webfarm1,cn=servers,cn=default-first-site-
name,cn=sites,cn=configuration,dc=srwebfarm,dc=int
<FrsDsFindComputer: 3792: 8717: S2:
11:12:12> :DS: Computer FQDN is cn=webfarm1,ou=domain
controllers,dc=srwebfarm,dc=int
<FrsDsFindComputer: 3792: 8723: S2:
11:12:12> :DS: Computer's dns name is
webfarm1.srwebfarm.int
<FrsDsFindComputer: 3792: 8737: S2:
11:12:12> :DS: Settings reference is cn=ntds
settings,cn=webfarm1,cn=servers,cn=default-first-site-
name,cn=sites,cn=configuration,dc=srwebfarm,dc=int
<ThSupWaitThread: 3444: 501: S1:
11:12:12> :S: ReplicaCs: Waiting
<ThSupWaitThread: 3444: 529: S1:
11:12:12> :S: ReplicaCs: normal wait
<RcsSetCxtionSchedule: 2124: 7356: S0:
11:15:11> :X: f9da625b, schedule is on
<RcsSetCxtionSchedule: 2124: 7356: S0:
11:15:11> :X: 4875d890, schedule is on

Joe Griffin [MSFT]

You need to ask this in the active directory forum.
Joe Griffin [MS]
From: "Tony" <[email protected]>
Sender: "Tony" <[email protected]>
Subject: DFS
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2004 09:15:31 -0800
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.file_system

[...]

Richard Chinn [MSFT]

Cross-posting to microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs.

If this is a new DC, the connection objects stored in AD may not have
replicated to all the replication partners. Until this happens, FRS will
not be able to begin replication. Likewise, connection schedules could come
into play if you have an infrequent replication schedule configured. You'll
get a double-whammie in this case as you'll have to wait for AD to replicate
the connection objects and then for FRS to subsequently hit the replication
schedule.

As a quick check though, take a look at the File Replication Service event
log and see if there are any suspicious entries. You can also run dcdiag.
This is primarily an AD check, but you need AD to be working well for FRS to
work. Dcdiag also does a few FRS checks.

Rather than parsing through FRS debug logs, I recommend installing
Ultrasound to monitor FRS. To get Ultrasound, go to
http://www.microsoft.com/frs. Follow the link for "FRS Troubleshooting and
Monitoring." You should see the link for Ultrasound there. Note you will
need to follow the in the Ultrasound help file (FRS Monitoring Help File) to
install Ultrasound - it requires MSDE (free) or a SQL database.

There is an Ultrasound chat coming up. Please join if you're interested.

February 4, 2004
11:00 A.M. - 12:00 P.M. Pacific time
2:00 - 3:00 P.M. Eastern time
19:00 - 20:00 GMT/BST

TechNet:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/default.asp?url=/technet/itcommunity/chats/default.asp

MS Communities: http://www.microsoft.com/communities/chats/default.mspx

--Richard

Please post FRS related questions to microsoft.public.windows.server.dfs_frs
and prefix the subject line with "FRS:" to make it easier to spot. Note
that FRS is used to replicate SYSVOL on domain controllers and DFS root and
link targets.

For additional FRS resources, please visit http://www.microsoft.com/frs.

Daniel Billingsley

Now he doesn't. Get with the program. DFS/FRS questions are very common in
this newsgroup. In any event, it certainly doesn't belong in the AD
newsgroup.

Daniel Billingsley

I see from the other replies that the cause of this problem may be an AD
issue, so if that's what you meant I apologize. I thought you were
suggesting that in general replication issues related to dfs should be asked
there and weren't appropriate here.

Joe Griffin said:
You need to ask this in the active directory forum.
Joe Griffin [MS]

Joe Griffin [MSFT]

You can ask what you want.
If you want an answer about replication issues, I suggest you ask in the
group that knows the answer and that would be active directory.

Joe Griffin[MS]
From: "Daniel Billingsley" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: DFS