device generic volume cannot be stopped now. F drive

Cruzer flash drive being used. attempts to do the SAFELY SHUT DOWN prior to
removal gives me a window of "device generic volume cannot be stopped now.
try again later"
hv tried but same scenario.
what to do?
or ..... shall I just remove the flash drive and reboot? (this might damage
the flash drive i suspect)

many thanks

I get the same message all the time with my flash drive. By the time I want
to get it to undock, I'm ready to shut the machine down anyway. So I just go
to the start menu and shut down. What ever is still writing to my disk will
finish and then once the machine shuts down it should be (theoretically) safe
to take my disk (or any other USB device) out of the USB drive.

This works for me and I have never lost any data. (knock wood)

-Heide

Suzanne S. Barnhill

Have you just saved to this drive from Word? If so, it's still the active
drive. Try going to File | Open and switching to My Documents or another
drive, then try again.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhill
Microsoft MVP (Word)

all may benefit.

"FLASH DRVE NEEDING HELP" <FLASH DRVE NEEDING
news:[email protected]...