detect server type ?

P Keegan

Hi, does anybody know how to programmatically determine the server
type. I would like to do the detection this via reading the Registry.
I have access to most of the computer registries within the network.

By Server type I Mean:
NT 4.0 Server
NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Advance Server
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Windows 2003 Server Standard edition
Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition
Windows 2003 Server Datacenter Edition
Windows 2003 Server Web Edition
Windows 2003 Server Small Business Edition

I think that this is a complete list.

Thank You
Paul.

Mark V

In said:
Hi, does anybody know how to programmatically determine the server
type. I would like to do the detection this via reading the Registry.
I have access to most of the computer registries within the network.

By Server type I Mean:
NT 4.0 Server
NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Advance Server
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Windows 2003 Server Standard edition
Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition
Windows 2003 Server Datacenter Edition
Windows 2003 Server Web Edition
Windows 2003 Server Small Business Edition

I can't say, but if a great little utility will help,
OSVER.EXE
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/stewartb/wast.html

Mark V

In said:
Hi, does anybody know how to programmatically determine the server
type. I would like to do the detection this via reading the Registry.
I have access to most of the computer registries within the network.

By Server type I Mean:
NT 4.0 Server
NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Advance Server
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Windows 2003 Server Standard edition
Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition
Windows 2003 Server Datacenter Edition
Windows 2003 Server Web Edition
Windows 2003 Server Small Business Edition

I can't say, but if a great little utility will help,
OSVER.EXE
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/stewartb/wast.html

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (P Keegan)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry
Subject: detect server type ?
Date: 17 Mar 2004 06:20:57 -0800

Hi, does anybody know how to programmatically determine the server
type. I would like to do the detection this via reading the Registry.
I have access to most of the computer registries within the network.

By Server type I Mean:
NT 4.0 Server
NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition
Windows 2000 Server
Windows 2000 Advance Server
Windows 2000 Datacenter Server
Windows 2003 Server Standard edition
Windows 2003 Server Enterprise Edition
Windows 2003 Server Datacenter Edition
Windows 2003 Server Web Edition
Windows 2003 Server Small Business Edition

I think that this is a complete list.

Thank You
Paul.
---

Paul,

Have you seen the article below? It also has references to other articles for use with other programing languages.

304289 - HOW TO: Determine Windows Version by Using Visual Basic .NET
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;[LN];304289

Bill Peele
Microsoft Enterprise Support

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread
from which they originated.

Bill Peele [MS]

--------------------
From: (e-mail address removed) (P Keegan)
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.registry
Date: 17 Mar 2004 06:20:57 -0800

[...]

The utility does not help. It does not return the Full Correct Version
informatiom. It does not tell Advance server, Enterprise server ....

It does not run remotely.

Thank you any way for trying.

Paul

P Keegan

The utility does not help. It does not return the Full Correct Version
informatiom. It does not tell Advance server, Enterprise server ....

It does not run remotely.

Thank you any way for trying.

Paul

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

P said:
Hi, does anybody know how to programmatically determine the server
type. I would like to do the detection this via reading the Registry.
I have access to most of the computer registries within the network.

By Server type I Mean:
NT 4.0 Server
NT 4.0 Enterprise Edition
Windows 2000 Server
(snip).

Hi

The Caption property in the Win32_OperatingSystem WMI class maybe:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en-us/wmisdk/wmi/win32_operatingsystem.asp

VBScript example (local and remote computers):

'--------------------8<----------------------
strComputer = "." ' use "." for local computer

Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colSettings = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
("Select * from Win32_OperatingSystem")

For Each objOperatingSystem in colSettings
Wscript.Echo "OS Caption: " & objOperatingSystem.Caption
Wscript.Echo "OS OSProductSuite: " & objOperatingSystem.OSProductSuite
Next
'--------------------8<----------------------

OSProductSuite (a bitset) will also give you some installed and
licensed system product additions to the operating system (see URL
above for more details).

To run this WMI query against NT4 computers, WMI needs to be installed
on them (WMI comes default with WinME, Win2k, WinXP and Win2k3):

WMI CORE 1.5 for Windows NT 4.0 download:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=18491

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

P said:
[...]

Thank you all for your help.

I have solved the problem using WMI before. I was looking for a way to
find the OS by using the registry.

WMI is to slow and to unreliable for my application. The WMI
connection timeout is to long. The WMI program hangs for unknown
reasons and has very unpredictable behavior. I am trying to scan
+20,000 computer world wide every day. I had the entire app write in
WMI and it would only work on about 90% of the machines. I rewrote the
App to use registry reads and am now collecting data from 100 % of the
online machines required.

SO the question remains, how do you determine the OS from the
registry?

In said:
Thank you all for your help.

I have solved the problem using WMI before. I was looking for a
way to find the OS by using the registry.

WMI is to slow and to unreliable for my application. The WMI
connection timeout is to long. The WMI program hangs for unknown
reasons and has very unpredictable behavior. I am trying to scan
+20,000 computer world wide every day. I had the entire app write
in WMI and it would only work on about 90% of the machines. I
rewrote the App to use registry reads and am now collecting data
from 100 % of the online machines required.

SO the question remains, how do you determine the OS from the
registry?

And I still don't know? ;-)
But if you like, try psinfo.exe (sysinternals.com) to see if it can
return what you want from a remote system. If it can, then it may be
possible to get the source from them by writing to Mark Russinovich.
(speculative).

Mark V

In said:
[...]

danp129

SO the question remains, how do you determine the OS from the
registry?

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion

Look at "ProductName". If that doesn't give you what you need, look a
"CurrentVersion" and "CurrentBuildNumber" and you'll be able to piec
it together.

Go here for a list to start from and build off of:
http://tinyurl.com/yv6ap

Hope this helps you.

PS: If you could direct me to an example of reading the registry b
means other than WMI, I would appreciate it.

Da

-
danp12

danp129