Desktop.ini

A

Arpan

The file Desktop.ini doesn't exist in C:\ drive. Neither is this file hidden. I copied another Desktop.ini file from C:\My Documents & tried to paste it in C:\ but strangely Win2K is asking me whether I want to replace the already existing Desktop.ini (though C:\ doesn't have any file named Desktop.ini) whose size is 194 bytes with the one I just copied from C:\My Documents (169 bytes)! Why am I being asked to replace a "non-existent" desktop.ini in C:\ when I copy it from C:\My Documents & try to paste it in C:? In fact in order to assure myself that C: doesn't have any file named desktop.ini, I even searched the entire C: for desktop.ini but the search didn't yield any desktop.ini in C:\ (though there were some in other directories under C:)! What could the problem be?

Thanks,

Arpan

D

dcdon

Hi Arpan,

Use Control Panel -> Folder Options to uncheck "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" in View tab.
It should show in Explorer or in My Computer under the %RootDrive% (usually C:\)
Why are you Jacking with that?

You probably don't have a problem, until you change the boot.ini. Do what I said and boot. It will show up, I am sure.

Always rename any file by removing the "dot", and adding ".old" to the end of it to make sure nothing goes wrong.

Post in Plain Text next time, please.

--
regards,
don
" Do a kind deed for someone less fortunate everyday."
It will warm God's heart"
====================

The file Desktop.ini doesn't exist in C:\ drive. Neither is this file hidden. I copied another Desktop.ini file from C:\My Documents & tried to paste it in C:\ but strangely Win2K is asking me whether I want to replace the already existing Desktop.ini (though C:\ doesn't have any file named Desktop.ini) whose size is 194 bytes with the one I just copied from C:\My Documents (169 bytes)! Why am I being asked to replace a "non-existent" desktop.ini in C:\ when I copy it from C:\My Documents & try to paste it in C:? In fact in order to assure myself that C: doesn't have any file named desktop.ini, I even searched the entire C: for desktop.ini but the search didn't yield any desktop.ini in C:\ (though there were some in other directories under C:)! What could the problem be?

Thanks,

Arpan

A

Arpan

Thanks, Don, for your suggestions; could see desktop.ini now! You have asked me the reason for tampering with desktop.ini. Yesterday I learnt how to get rid of the usual yellow folder icon & assign some other user-defined icon (I just hate those yellow folders!!!). To do this, either a new desktop.ini file has to be created in that folder whose icon I want change or the existing desktop.ini has to be edited. Desktop.ini should have the following code:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconFile=C:\ICONS\MyIcon.ico
IconIndex=0
ConfirmFileOp=0
[{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}]
IconArea_TextBackground=0x00FF3300
Attributes=1

I want to see whether the icons assigned to the different drives (in My Computer) can also be changed in the same way or not. The exisitng untampered desktop.ini in C: shows the following code:

[.ShellClassInfo]
ConfirmFileOp=0
[ExtShellFolderViews]
{BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}={BE098140-A513-11D0-A3A4-00C04FD706EC}
Attributes=1

Now to change the icon of C: (in My Computer), I will have to edit the existing desktop.ini in C: by adding the following lines (but keeping the already existing code lines in desktop.ini as it is):

IconIndex=0

Now will the addition of the above 2 lines in desktop.ini in C: hamper the functionality of desktop.ini in C: (or the OS in general) in anyway?

I will ensure that from next time, I will post in plain text. Right now OE is not allowing me to change to plain text..............I guess some problems!!

Thanks once again,

Regards,

Arpan

Hi Arpan,

Use Control Panel -> Folder Options to uncheck "Hide protected operating system file (Recommended)" in View tab.
It should show in Explorer or in My Computer under the %RootDrive% (usually C:\)

You probably don't have a problem, until you change the boot.ini. Do what I said and boot. It will show up, I am sure.

Always rename any file by removing the "dot", and adding ".old" to the end of it to make sure nothing goes wrong.

--
regards,
don
====================

Thanks,

Arpan

G

George Hester

You really hould not have a desktop.ini on the root. I have never seen one there. Remember you will need to make the folder Read-only to get the icon to change for the root and that in itself is asking for trouble. Deal with the C drive as a yellow folder. Changing it using desktop.ini is asking for trouble.

--
George Hester
Thanks, Don, for your suggestions; could see desktop.ini now! You have asked me the reason for tampering with desktop.ini. Yesterday I learnt how to get rid of the usual yellow folder icon & assign some other user-defined icon (I just hate those yellow folders!!!). To do this, either a new desktop.ini file has to be created in that folder whose icon I want change or the existing desktop.ini has to be edited. Desktop.ini should have the following code:

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconIndex=0
ConfirmFileOp=0
Attributes=1

I want to see whether the icons assigned to the different drives (in My Computer) can also be changed in the same way or not. The exisitng untampered desktop.ini in C: shows the following code:

[.ShellClassInfo]
ConfirmFileOp=0
[ExtShellFolderViews]
Attributes=1

Now to change the icon of C: (in My Computer), I will have to edit the existing desktop.ini in C: by adding the following lines (but keeping the already existing code lines in desktop.ini as it is):

IconIndex=0

Now will the addition of the above 2 lines in desktop.ini in C: hamper the functionality of desktop.ini in C: (or the OS in general) in anyway?

I will ensure that from next time, I will post in plain text. Right now OE is not allowing me to change to plain text..............I guess some problems!!

Thanks once again,

Regards,

Arpan

Hi Arpan,

--
regards,
don
====================

Thanks,

Arpan

D

dcdon

Thanks George,

And how have you been. Fine, I hope...

:blush:)
don
============
You really hould not have a desktop.ini on the root. I have never seen one there. Remember you will need to make the folder Read-only to get the icon to change for the root and that in itself is asking for trouble. Deal with the C drive as a yellow folder. Changing it using desktop.ini is asking for trouble.

--
George Hester

[.ShellClassInfo]
IconIndex=0
ConfirmFileOp=0
Attributes=1

[.ShellClassInfo]
ConfirmFileOp=0
[ExtShellFolderViews]
Attributes=1

IconIndex=0

Thanks once again,

Regards,

Arpan

Hi Arpan,

--
regards,
don
====================

Thanks,

Arpan

Ask a Question