Design - tables or queries?

Reaction score
Hello,
I am trying to create a db to track data as it is processed & split into new datasets and have spent most of today unfruitfully trying to work it out.

I'm trying to record datasets eg "DataXYZ" which will then be renamed to an internal name "RoW". It may then be operated on to split out datasets :"footpaths", "bridleways" etc. These then may be filtered to "strategic footpaths" etc.

I can see that the original filename could go in 1 table, but not sure what to do with the derived "child" datasets.

My best option (as it appears through my fog) would be to create a table for each successive operation, but it seems that having multiple copies of data is frowned upon in Access. However, we need a record of the various stages & versions of each derived dataset and the records won't be changed - any edits to the data would result in a new dataset and a new table (this wouldn't amount to more than half a dozen operations on any one dataset, probably 2-4 mostly).

Any pointers would be most appreciated.
Jonathan

Ask a Question