Design help with File I/O and searching?

I need to create an app that runs on a PDA type scanner running Win CE .NET.
I am a little familiar with VB.NET. I can use VS 2003. The app needs to
take input from both the screen and the scanned in value, validate it against
text files on the PDA, and if it vailidate, write it out to a text file.
I thought I would read in the text files into an array at the Load of the
app. Then when they scan in the data, search the array to validate it, then
write the transaction out to another file. Is this plenty doable? Didn't
want to get real extravagent, short and simple, but I do want it to be
stable.

Any suggestions, help, or even some examples of how to do any of this would
be appriciated.

Thanks,
Steve

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Yes it's doable. It's so simple that I can't imagine there being any
examples outside of the help needed.

Paul T.

Thanks Paul,
I just didn't quite know how to get the data into an array, and then be able
to search on the field. One file will have two values, I will need to search
on one, and return the other.
Thanks
Steve

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

There are so many ways. Tab- or comma-separated would be easy to parse,
especially if you put one key/value pair on each line of the file. You
could do the parsing yourself or use a regular expression class. Look at
the Dictionary class for actually holding the data, rather than a simple
array.

Paul T.

Simon Hart

There is no such class Dictionary in .NET. You need to use Hashtable which
is .NET equivilent of the Dictionary class as per Smalltalk.
There is however a IDictionary, and many classes that implement IDictionary.

Simon.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]

Shows that it's supported in .NET CF 2.0 and I just built one, Dictionary(
of String, String ) in a Smart Device project in VS2005...

Paul T.

Simon Hart said:
There is no such class Dictionary in .NET. You need to use Hashtable which
is .NET equivilent of the Dictionary class as per Smalltalk.
There is however a IDictionary, and many classes that implement
IDictionary.

Simon.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam DOT
com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
There are so many ways. Tab- or comma-separated would be easy to parse,
especially if you put one key/value pair on each line of the file. You
could do the parsing yourself or use a regular expression class. Look at
the Dictionary class for actually holding the data, rather than a simple
array.

Paul T.

Simon Hart

I beg your pardon, didn't relise it was supported in 2.0....

Well you learn something everyday!

Simon Hart said:
There is no such class Dictionary in .NET. You need to use Hashtable
which is .NET equivilent of the Dictionary class as per Smalltalk.
There is however a IDictionary, and many classes that implement
IDictionary.

Simon.

"Paul G. Tobey [eMVP]" <p space tobey no spam AT no instrument no spam
DOT com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
There are so many ways. Tab- or comma-separated would be easy to parse,
especially if you put one key/value pair on each line of the file. You
could do the parsing yourself or use a regular expression class. Look
at the Dictionary class for actually holding the data, rather than a
simple array.

Paul T.

message Thanks Paul,

:

Yes it's doable. It's so simple that I can't imagine there being any
examples outside of the help needed.

Paul T.

message
Hi,