Deployment questions

I have almost always used copying *.exe files to deploy my programs,
even with VB6. I know about the ClickOnce and setup.exe, but I would
like to know what I really need to copy to another Windows XP, Vista
or 7 machine for VB.net programs.

Copying plain *.exe to one Windows XP machine worked for one program.
Then I added PrintForm from PowerPacks, so copying *.exe was not
enough. Would installing PowerPacks on that machine be one way? Or is
there just one or two files I could copy to the other machine instead
of all the PowerPack stuff?

I suspect Microsoft likes to make simple things complicated,
justifying their existence and making programmers look like
superintelligent creatures. From my point of view, it looks like they
are cheating us by making us produce hundreds of lines of
unintelligible code to display little text, with a "project" to deploy
the little application. Or do people think that this complexity is
justified?

Cor

?It depends what version from visual studio that you use.

If it is Express which is meant as a learning edition, then you have only
click once to your possibilities.

With the full version of 2010 you have msi and a small version of install
shields to your possibilities.

-Cor

"C" wrote in message

[...]

Yes, I am using Express. I can just take the *.exe to another computer
if I don't use PowerPacks. So the question is - what files need to be
copied to the other computer?

What is it that ClickOnce will do?

Cor

?http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/142dbbz4(VS.90).aspx

"C" wrote in message

?It depends what version from visual studio that you use.

If it is Express which is meant as a learning edition, then you have only
click once to your possibilities.

Yes, I am using Express. I can just take the *.exe to another computer
if I don't use PowerPacks. So the question is - what files need to be
copied to the other computer?

What is it that ClickOnce will do?

Onur Güzel

Thousands of words but won't tell me what it really does, and which
files it copies.

How is Build/Publish different from ClickOnce?

Hi,

Here is the useful link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc425002(VS.80).aspx
....says: "During installation, users will be prompted for permission
to install the Power Packs components if they are not present on the
computer.".

However before dealing with "Power Packs Bootstrapper":, you can give
a chance to PowerPack references' to have their "Copy Local" property
set to True in Solution Explorer, which can make application run on
target without any additional installation of Powerpack even without
any installer.

HTH,

Onur Güzel

Here is the useful link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc425002(VS.80).aspx
...says: "During installation, users will be prompted for permission
to install the Power Packs components if they are not present on the
computer.".
Thanks.

However before dealing with "Power Packs Bootstrapper":, you can give
a chance to PowerPack references' to have their "Copy Local" property
set to True in Solution Explorer, which can make application run on
target without any additional installation of Powerpack even without
any installer.

This sounds good.
HTH,

Onur Güzel- Piilota siteerattu teksti -

- Näytä siteerattu teksti -

I would also like to know if I can just copy the necessary files
instead of forcing other people to go through setup/ClickOnce
procedures, which a lot of people don't like for small programs.

Is there any place on the Internet which explains which files are
copied by ClickOnce or other deployment softwares?

Onur Güzel

This sounds good.

I would also like to know if I can just copy the necessary files
instead of forcing other people to go through setup/ClickOnce
procedures, which a lot of people don't like for small programs.

Is there any place on the Internet which explains which files are
copied by ClickOnce or other deployment softwares?

As i stated previously, show all your references related to
Powerpacks, probably the assembly named:
"Microsoft.VisualBasic.PowerPacks.dll" included in solution explorer
as referenced. Set its Copy Local property to "True", rebuild project,
then in your bin\debug folder it will be generated. Now, try to run
the program on the target machine without specifically installing
Powerpacks add-in also keeping PowerPacks assembly in application's
root folder.

See if it helps,

Onur Güzel