Deploying WinXP sp2 via a GPO

  • Start date Start date

Harrison Midkiff

Hello:

I am deploying WinXP sp2 as a GPO. I had a report that users using Windows
2000 computers were seeing the GPO trying to apply. I checked the computers
event logs and noticed the following event.

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10000
Date: 7/8/2005
Time: 8:31:50 AM
User: N/A
Computer: TPA-RMARTOGLIO
The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot be
found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information or
message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The following
information is part of the event: Product: Windows XP Service Pack 2
(1033) -- Nothing to do., (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL).

I thought the GPO would only apply to computer with the WinXP OS on them?
Am I mistaken...

Harrison Midkiff

Hello Harrison,

Thank you for using newsgroup!

Yes, you are right. The GPO (deploying Windows XP Service Pack 2) should be
applied to the clients with Windows XP OS.

Reference:
Using Group Policy to Deploy Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/gpdepsp2.mspx

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Deploying WinXP sp2 via a GPO
| Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:41:32 -0400
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Hello:
|
| I am deploying WinXP sp2 as a GPO. I had a report that users using
Windows
| 2000 computers were seeing the GPO trying to apply. I checked the
computers
| event logs and noticed the following event.
|
| Event Type: Error
| Event Source: MsiInstaller
| Event Category: None
| Event ID: 10000
| Date: 7/8/2005
| Time: 8:31:50 AM
| User: N/A
| Computer: TPA-RMARTOGLIO
| The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller ) cannot
be
| found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry information
or
| message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The
following
| information is part of the event: Product: Windows XP Service Pack 2
| (1033) -- Nothing to do., (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL).
|
| I thought the GPO would only apply to computer with the WinXP OS on them?
| Am I mistaken...
|
| Harrison Midkiff

Hi Harrison,

I have not received any responses from you lately, and I am just wondering
if you require further assistance or if the issue has been resolved. Please
let me know if there is anything that I can do for you on it. I look
forward to hearing from you soon.

If you are unable to view the reply to your thread, please send me an email
with a description of the problem and what newsreader you are using.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Ken Zhao

Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: (e-mail address removed) (Ken Zhao [MSFT])
| Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 03:39:52 GMT
| Subject: RE: Deploying WinXP sp2 via a GPO
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
|
| Hello Harrison,
|
| Thank you for using newsgroup!
|
| Yes, you are right. The GPO (deploying Windows XP Service Pack 2) should
be
| applied to the clients with Windows XP OS.
|
| Reference:
| Using Group Policy to Deploy Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2)
| http://www.microsoft.com/technet/prodtechnol/winxppro/deploy/gpdepsp2.mspx
|
| Thanks & Regards,
|
| Ken Zhao
|
| Microsoft Online Partner Support
| Get Secure! - www.microsoft.com/security
|
| =====================================================
| When responding to posts, please "Reply to Group" via your newsreader so
| that others may learn and benefit from your issue.
| =====================================================
rights.

| --------------------
| | From: "Harrison Midkiff" <[email protected]>
| | Subject: Deploying WinXP sp2 via a GPO
| | Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2005 10:41:32 -0400
| | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment
| |
| | Hello:
| |
| | I am deploying WinXP sp2 as a GPO. I had a report that users using
| Windows
| | 2000 computers were seeing the GPO trying to apply. I checked the
| computers
| | event logs and noticed the following event.
| |
| | Event Type: Error
| | Event Source: MsiInstaller
| | Event Category: None
| | Event ID: 10000
| | Date: 7/8/2005
| | Time: 8:31:50 AM
| | User: N/A
| | Computer: TPA-RMARTOGLIO
| | The description for Event ID ( 10000 ) in Source ( MsiInstaller )
cannot
| be
| | found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information
| or
| | message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer. The
| following
| | information is part of the event: Product: Windows XP Service Pack 2
| | (1033) -- Nothing to do., (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL), (NULL),
(NULL).
| |
| | I thought the GPO would only apply to computer with the WinXP OS on
them?
| | Am I mistaken...
| |
| | Harrison Midkiff