DELIVERY RECEIPTS

The last week I have not been able to get delivery receipts. So posts have
said that it is a function of the receiving mail server. I email to a lot of
different people with different domains and I don't get a delivery receipt
anymore. Did something change on my end like corrupted files in my email
program or did my server (Comcast) change something. Also could a automatic
McAfee update on my computer change something that won't let me receive the
receipt.

F. H. Muffman

"Delivery receipt no more" <Delivery receipt no
The last week I have not been able to get delivery receipts. So posts have
said that it is a function of the receiving mail server. I email to a lot
of
different people with different domains and I don't get a delivery receipt
anymore. Did something change on my end like corrupted files in my email
program or did my server (Comcast) change something. Also could a
automatic
McAfee update on my computer change something that won't let me receive
the
receipt.

Here's what I would do.

Send a message with a delivery receipt to an address you can check.
Shut outlook down immediately after sending.
Verify the message was delivered.
Check the web based mail client that comcast provides you to see if you got
the delivery receipt there.

That way you know if it is Outlook or something else that is causing the
issue.

Roady [MVP]

Not likely but with this level of detail (and from your other post) it's
hard to tell. Dropping such messages over a WLAN is common behavior since
they don't protect the receiving end. As I said in my reply in your previous
post; Read Receipts is the way to go.

I din't get a delivery receipt on the wed base server. I talked to McAfee to
see if they had a answer but they didn't. Comcast said they are doing nothing
to block the receipt. Should I put in my Microsoft disc and see if there is a
fix and repair on it in case my files are bad?

F. H. Muffman

I din't get a delivery receipt on the wed base server. I talked to McAfee
see if they had a answer but they didn't. Comcast said they are doing
nothing
to block the receipt. Should I put in my Microsoft disc and see if there
is a
fix and repair on it in case my files are bad?

You can do a repair of the install if you want, tho I'm not really sure
that'll do anything.

What version of Outlook is this?

OUTLOOK 2003 VER. 11 PRO. EDITION

F. H. Muffman said:
You can do a repair of the install if you want, tho I'm not really sure
that'll do anything.

What version of Outlook is this?

F. H. Muffman

OUTLOOK 2003 VER. 11 PRO. EDITION

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300479, follow the steps and then send a
*single* message with a delivery receipt.

After it gets sent, take a look at the opmlog.log. You might see RCPT TO
with some data after it. Now, in 2007, they don't log the commands that
would be indicative of a delivery receipt. Either that's because it isn't
working, or because it just doesn't capture that.

Now, list out what you see on the line where it says RCPT TO. Redact out
the email address (if you need to) and post what you see. Now, if we don't
see the extra text, that won't mean anything. Since 2007 doesn't show it.
If you do, then you need to ping the ISP again and work with them to see
what exactly is being sent to their SMTP server when you send a message,
because it sure would look like you're making a request for a delivery
receipt.

Now, if we *don't* see the text, that really doesn't mean anything,
unfortunately. Except that you might be better off talking to technical
support at Microsoft to further troubleshoot, since any further
troubleshooting will require actually looking at the network packets to see
exactly what Outlook is sending and, if it isn't sending the right thing,
finding out why not.

At this point, if you know what packet sniffing is, and you're comfortable
enough doing it, ... well.. do it and look at RFC1891 to see if Outlook is
sending what should be sent.

Jubly

Did you ever get your delivery notification issued resolved, and if so, what was the problem? I am having the same problem. It started November 1. I had Plum Choice check out my computer. They concluded that it was not my computer that is causing the problem, and they advised me to contact Comast. Comcast said that they didn't change anything and to contact microsoft. In the meantime I'm still not getting many delivery notifications. I do get some, but none from Comcast.
-
Jubly

F. H. Muffman

Jubly said:
Did you ever get your delivery notification issued resolved,
and if so, what was the problem? I am having the same problem.
It started November 1. I had Plum Choice check out my computer.
They concluded that it was not my computer that is causing the problem,
and they advised me to contact Comast. Comcast said that they
didn't change anything and to contact microsoft. In the meantime
I'm still not getting many delivery notifications. I do get some,
but none from Comcast.

Not getting delivery receipts *from* addresses on Comcast? Do you see them
if you look at your web based mail reader?

I mean, if its only one domain not returning delivery receipts, the finger
really points at that domain, and I wouldn't expect frontline support to be
able to help you.

I talked to Comcast for over two hours and they have no answer. They just
keep telling me that it isn't anything they did. Yea right.

Jubly

No, I don't get the delivery receipts in my web based e-mail either.

Actually it looks like it's not just Comcast customers whose delivery notices I don't get. I'm not getting delivery notices in general regardless of the recipient, except for the e-mails that are are delivered to cell phones.

-
Jubly

F. H. Muffman

Jubly said:
No, I don't get the delivery receipts in my web based e-mail either.

Actually it looks like it's not just Comcast customers whose delivery
notices I don't get. I'm not getting delivery notices in general
regardless
of the recipient, except for the e-mails that are are delivered to cell
phones.

Does your web based client allow you to request a delivery receipt?

Jubly

No, I don't see where I can request a delivery notification or read receipt in my web based e-mail account.

Sorry, I misunderstood your original question - I sent an e-mail from Outlook, then confirmed that I ddin't receive a delivery notification in my web based e-mial either.

-
Jubly

F. H. Muffman

Jubly said:
No, I don't see where I can request a delivery notification or read
receipt in my web based e-mail account.

Sorry, I misunderstood your original question - I sent an e-mail from
Outlook, then confirmed that I ddin't receive a delivery notification in
my web based e-mial either.

No, that was my question. Or at least I'm pretty sure it was. Hard to tell
since you've removed all the text from the thread.

Does your SMTP server require authentication?

Jubly

--
f.h.

Yes, my outgoing server requires authentication.
-
Jubly

F. H. Muffman

Jubly said:
Yes, my outgoing server requires authentication.

Well, that prevents testing it using telnet, and I'm not about to walk you
through setting up a network sniff to verify that Outlook is sending the
proper command to request a delivery receipt. Outlook logging doesn't log
the exact smtp conversation, so there isn't even a simple way to determine
if the delivery receipt has been requested.

If you install/setup some other pop client, do delivery receipts work?

Ask your ISP 'Have you verified in the SMTP logs that my client is not
requesting a delivery receipt?'

Jubly

Jubly said:
Yes, my outgoing server requires authentication.

Well, that prevents testing it using telnet, and I'm not about to walk you
through setting up a network sniff to verify that Outlook is sending the
proper command to request a delivery receipt. Outlook logging doesn't log
the exact smtp conversation, so there isn't even a simple way to determine
if the delivery receipt has been requested.

If you install/setup some other pop client, do delivery receipts work?

Ask your ISP 'Have you verified in the SMTP logs that my client is not
requesting a delivery receipt?'
--
f.h.

I asked Comcast "Have you verified in the SMTP logs that my client is not requesting a delivery receipt?". They answered that my client is requesting a delivery receipt
-
Jubly

F. H. Muffman

Jubly said:
I asked Comcast "Have you verified in the SMTP logs that my client is not
requesting a delivery receipt?". They answered that my client is
requesting a
delivery receipt.

Then it isn't an Outlook issue.

You send a message and tell it to send you a delivery receipt.
The client tells the server to send a delivery receipt.
You never get a delivery receipt in your web based mail reader (in other
words, Outlook isn't failing to download it).

If the support folks can see you're requesting a delivery receipt then they
need to figure out why that request isn't being honored.