Deleting System files problem

bilvihur

I backed up my System files (Program, Users, etc) to a Backup folder when I
had to do a Partial reinstall. Now I want to delete the Backup folder. I've
run Takeown and Icals as suggested by other posts, and they completed
successfully. However, I still get permission denied when I try to delete the
folder. Can anyone help me free up 10GB of space? Thanks.

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
The question I would have is what were the commands you used takeown.exe
and Icacl.exe?

You may need to check what the permissions are on the files and folders.
You may want to run icacls c:\Backup_folder /T where backup_folder is the
name of the folder you have the files in.
This should show all the permissions. You may need to check for any files
or folders which do not have administrators with (F) Full permission on
them. The other thing to check is for files that may the (D) deny
permission on them. Deny takes precedence and would generate Access
Denied.

Thanks,
Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

|> From: =?Utf-8?B?YmlsdmlodXI=?= <[email protected]>
|> Subject: RE: Deleting System files problem
|> Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2008 11:53:01 -0800
|> Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general
|>
|> Paul, please elaborate. I thought I WAS taking ownership thru takeown...
|>
|> "PaulB" wrote:
|>
|> > Take ownership of the files, then delete.
|> > --
|> > Paul

Darrell Gorter[MSFT]

Hello,
With what switches? What was the syntax that you used?
what was the output from the line I suggested which shows the current acls
on the files and folders.