Deleting rows that don't contain keywords

Chris

I have this following macro which I want to scan through all cells in
my worksheet and delete all rows that don't contain the keywords
"NAME:" and that don't contain the keywords "SUBJ:" I keep getting an
error on "test = Application.Range(r,c).Text" It says "method Range of
object _Application failed" Does anyone know how to get the text from
each cell and compare it to the strings I have? Thanks

Sub DeleteR()
Dim bool As Boolean
For r = Application.Rows.Count To 1 Step -1
bool = False
For c = Application.Columns.Count To 1 Step -1
Dim test As String
test = Application.Range(r, c).Text
If test = "NAME:" Then
'mark bool as true (we found a table name row)
bool = True
End If
If test = "SUBJ:" Then
'mark bool as true (we found a subject area row)
bool = True
End If
Next c
If bool = False Then
'Delete entire row
Application.Rows(r).EntireRow.Delete
End If
Next r
End Sub

Jim Cone

Chris,

You need to use "Cells" instead of "Range".
Range is just not designed to function the way you are using it.
So...
test = ActiveSheet.Cells(r, c).Text

There appears to be other issues with your code.
We will probably here from you again. <g>
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"Chris"
<[email protected]>
wrote in message
[...]

Don Guillett

As mentioned, you need to use cells(r,c) but if your strings to find are all
in the same column then
sub deleterows()
for i =1 to cells(rows.count,"a").end(xlup).row
if cells(i,"a")="NAME:" or cells(i,"a")="SUBJ:" then rows(i).delete
next i
end sub

If not in the same column, look in the vba help index for FINDNEXT. There is
a good example. There is no reason to look at EVERY cell.

Chris

Actually, that did the job, thanks! But what did you think was
wrong? It worked for 47k rows by 20 columns in a little under 5
minutes, probably not the most efficient, but it did work.

You could approach it this way:

Sub DeleteRows()
Dim lastrow as Long, i as long
Dim rng as Range
With ActiveSheet
set rng = .UsedRange
lastrow = rng(rng.count).row

for i = lastrow to 1 step -1
if application.Countif(.rows(i),"*NAME:*") + _
application.Countif(.rows(i),"*SUBJ:*") = 0 then
.rows(i).Delete
end if
Next i
End With
End Sub

To the OP.

I don't see where Find or FindNext has any role to play in deleting rows
that don't contain some prescribed value (except in a most roundabout
fashion).

Maybe that will save you some time.

Don Guillett

Tom, Friday.
However, it COULD find the values>move the row to the next available row on
another sheet>delete what's left>move all the rows back. Not good but saves
a little bit of face. <G>